Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Scott's Training Log for First Powerlifting Meet

DEADLIFT

Worked up to 220 kg. Much better than last two weeks. Moved very fast and easily for 5 (2 x 2 and a single) Still missed a 3rd double as the bar would not stay still and was pulled while very forward.

Speed deadlifts w/red + blue bands: 12 x 1 w/150 kg

High bar squat

Worked up to 190 kg x 1. Was easier this week.

Trained Abs + upper back hard after this with supersetted work.

BENCH

4th Bench press session of this cycle. Opted for the close grip (thumb from central smoothing) again as have been progressing well on it so far. Still only using a slight pause and pressing off my toes as opposed to the legally required flat foot.

Worked up to 140 kg x 2-2 (4). This was a rest pause top set so very little break in between the doubles. Each first rep was very easy, controlled and fast throughout with each 2nd lift a bit more sloppy.

Down work: 120 kg x 6 and 100 kg x 9...re-rack....2....more progress on reps with this grip. Actually went to failure on the set with 100 kg missing a 12th rep as triceps gave out with fatigue.

Close grip with blue bands

60 kg x 5+
    80 x 3+
    100 x 1
    80 x max reps

Accessory work done in a circuit for upper back and triceps.

SQUAT

4th squat day of the 7 week cycle. Jumped from 3 weeks at 80% for reps up to 90% today. Was a mistake. Thought that as I am pretty close to the next comp I would need to hurry up and push the intensity up but this was too fast. Felt a huge difference in 180 kg and 200 kg.

200 kg x 2-1-2-1 (6)....using the rest pause method but need to keep intervals much shorter than this.
    down work: 180 kg x 2-1

Speed pulls w/red + blue bands

10 x lifts w/150 kg

Accessory work for Abs and upper back

Will not go above 90% until 2 weeks from now at the earliest as need to do a better job putting reps together and overall volume.

DEADLIFT

4th deadlift session of training cycle. This cycle is the most amount of deadlifting I have ever done I think as it is the first time I have pulled every week and then on top of that pulls with bands 1-2 x week recently. I think it will help as main weakness is poor technique not strength.

Top weight today was 230 kg. Although this was an easy opener at my last comp it is never the case when I am using an old beaten up gym bar.

The warm up sets today were less smooth & explosive than last week and I also made a 30 kg jump from last warm up lift. Don't think I will do that again. I managed a single and a missed 2nd.
    Have been videoing all my lifts for past 6-8 weeks and it is clear that my problem on the deadlift is all technical. I need to find a way of getting my hips lower without turning it into a squat. Hips are getting lost near lockout due to horrible starting position.

Added blue bands

180 kg x 3
    190 kg x 2
    190 kg x 1..........Form on last 2 sets was hard to watch. Need to be consistent with this and feel uncomfortably tight every lift like I do on bench.

High bar squat

Worked up to 97.5% of current PR. 195 kg x 1

Done accessory work for lats, upper back and abs.

BENCH

5th Bench press session of 7 week training cycle for next meet. 5th great Bench day in a row.

Close grip (Flat feet!)

Worked up to 145 kg x 1-2 (3) rest pause top set

Still only using a short pause but switched to legal foot placement this week. Last 2 sessions on bench will be paused but thinking of keeping close grip and rest-pause top set. Technique looked very good on video and power off chest was great.

Down work

120 kg x 4-2-2 (8) Rest -pause
    100 kg x 10-1-1 (12) Rest-pause

Close grip w/blue + red bands (Moved hands in more)

60 kg x 5
    70 x 3
    80 x 3
    90 x 1
    100 x 1

Accessory work for upper back and triceps all done in a long circuit x3

Week 5 of training for GBPF south west meet

After a good bench day the rest of training went badly. Had to take 3 days off due to bank holiday Monday.

Tue Squats

Worked up to 200kg x 2. Was planning 3 doubles today but was just horrible for a lot of reasons. Stopped here.

Wed was more Benching (Final close grip work of the cycle)

Worked up to 150 kg x grinder of a single. Could not get a spot in the gym and left to avoid overdoing it.

Today was Deadlifts

Was not going to be 100% today so done ok just getting 3 singles with 220 kg on a regular bar.

Deadlifts w/blue bands

160 x 4
    170 x 1
    Add belt
    180 x 3
    190 x 2
    200 x close miss (Think my back was just trashed and band tension beat me)
    180 x 2
    180 x 3 no bands

High bar squat

Top single today was 190 kg (95%). Again knew it would be less this week but all sets of this felt very good today.

Onto upper back work

Upright rows

40 kg x5x12

Blue pull a parts

3 x 15

I am hoping to get back to form next week after this de-load of sorts

Done an extra session today. Haven't done this often if at all this whole cycle. Hadn't felt the need for them due to training all 3 lifts each week.

Just work for Abs and upper back done in less than 30 mins.
    chin ups, rope crunches, rear flys, pull a aparts and cable upright rows.

Main focus in terms of accessory work has been to build my upper back this cycle as it is a major weakness in each lift.

BENCH

With 3 bench press sessions left until my next meet I decided to do a max effort style session before doing paused comp grip singles at 100+% for the following 2 weeks.

Pin press w/power ring grip

Worked up to 140 kg x 2 and 150 kg x 2 (PR)
    Then I was very close locking out 160 kg twice but the bar sliding on the pins was too much today. Would have been a 10 kg PR.
    140 kg x 3 (PR)

This lift has correlated well with a paused bench for me so thought it was worth using today.

Close grip w/red blue bands
    Worked up to 110 kg x 1 for a 10 kg PR since last week.

Down work (No bands) 130 kg x 3

Accessory work for triceps and upper back

Tried to train deadlift again after only 4 days. Was not anywhere close to being recovered from last session let alone the bench day before as every muscle was tight and I had no energy for anything. Did not get anything done worthwhile. Will avoid deadlifting for a longer period now and then probably work up to an opener and 2nd lift for the meet. Need to focus on squat and bench and get back on track.

Bench press is the only lift heading anywhere for now. Have made a lot of errors with this cycle that need corrected next time.

Done accessory work on its own today

Chin ups + cable upright rows x 4
    Face pull + db hammer curl x 2
    straight bar upright row + curl x 3
    db side bend + abs pulldown x 2

Thursday attempted to squat at 90% again but had more problems. My belt no longer fits me due to my waist shrinking so much. The bar would not settle on my back at all and the warm up sets were very off because of this. I just scrapped it without plodding on. Need to go back to the drawing board.

Today trained upper back and abs. Much stronger on all accessory stuff so my strength has probably not dropped too much just need to sort out a lot of technical things to adjust to a lower bodyweight.

BENCH

This week I switched to a wider grip (little finger on power ring) and done paused work at a low volume.

Worked up in big jumps to 155 kg but missed it at halfway. Elbows came too far away from my torso and had no where to go from here. Transition from close grip to paused wide grip really changed how benching felt this week as felt there was less power off the chest. Will attempt this again next week.

130kg x 4 (down set)

Close grip w/blue & red bands
    Worked up to 115 kg x 1 (5kg PR from last week). Missed 120 kg attempt

Chin ups & cable upright rows x4

done more accessory work today for weak areas.

upper back, lats, biceps and abs. less than 30 minutes and everything done with minimal rest high reps light weight except for abs, which I always like to do heavy.

SQUAT

Felt good today but could only work up to 200 kg again and got a single that turned into a good morning.Have just accepted that I have lost around 5-10% on my squat with weight loss. My waist appears smaller every video I take in the gym. This loss in leverages has clearly cancelled out any strength gains in the past few months for now. If I can settle in the 105 kg category should start to build it back up and further without resorting to excess weight gain.

High bar squats
    Worked up to 180kg x 1 and got stapled with previous 1RM of 200 kg...again just did not have the stability in the hole that I had before with a 40+ inch waist.
    down work: 160 x 1-140 x 6 & 140 x 8

chin ups, cable upright rows & abs pulldowns

BENCH

1 week out from a meet. Warmed up using straight weight and a wideish grip but felt so off using the bar that rolls more than the other eleiko. Switched bars then just decided to go straight into close grip against red and blue bands as my main movement.

Missed 120 kg again.

dropped bands
    120 kg x 4
    130 kg x 2
    140 kg x 1.............all straight weight sets moved well despite struggling with the equipment.

then pulldowns, cable upright rows and band pushdowns
    also done a lot of upper back and abs work during the week.

SQUAT & DEADLIFT

Final squat & deadlift work before my upcoming meet.

As planned worked up to a single with 210 kg. It was the most comfortable lift at this weight I have probably ever done and the heaviest squat since my last competition where I grinded out 220 kg.

Just made some last minute technical changes by going back to a wider stance and setting the bar lower so I am not focusing too much on staying upright. Feels much better.

Worked up to 220 kg on the deadlift and was very slow locking out but know that when I use a good bar at the meet it will be better.

Deadlifts w/blue bands
    180 x 3
    190 x 1

High bar squats
    160 x 2
    170 x 2 + 140 kg x 10 drop set

This week have done some bodybuilding work for the upper back, arms and abs while trying to drop weight before the meet at the weekend through water manipulation. Hoping to get down to 105 kg but main priority is to PR on total regardless of body-weight and hopefully a PR on all 3 lifts.

For 3rd day in a row went to the gym to continue hammering away at weak muscle groups. Included pulldowns, cable upright rows, curls w/barbell, hammer curls and pull a parts with short rest and a lot of reps.

Reason for all these sessions so close to a meet is that I am still trying to do what I can to drop weight as I have no 24 hour weigh-ins.

Meet result

In the last few days before realised that I was too far from 105 kg and would have had to really push myself to drop a lot of water weight. Was not worth it so filled myself with salty foods and carbs instead.

Somehow ended up at 112 kg. Will eventually come down to 105 kg but do not want to lose any strength or its just a waste of effort.

Squat

200 kg: good
    220 kg: good
    230 kg: not close...............squats have been awful for weeks. Major plateau with 2nd miss at 507 lbs this year. Belt was loose so got nothing from it and had no stability at all un-racking, descending and in the hole. Must get 230 kg in my next meet!!

Bench

145 kg: good
    155 kg: not close
    155 kg: not close..................Not surprised. Max legal width with strict commands and lengthy pause is something I did not do even once all training cycle and felt horrible even on warm ups. Next short cycle will be using this form every session. Bench press is pathetic right now.

Deadlift

230 kg: easiest pull over 500 lbs I have ever done
    240 kg: Only struggle was holding onto it with my left hand before the down signal. Need to work on that. COMP PR
    250 kg: Hips too far from bar. Technique went to crap for this attempt. Will definitely get this in a meet very soon.

605 kg total (equal PB)...A real reflection of the poor training cycle going into it.

PB deadlift in a meet. Would like to at least make the missed lifts in 5 weeks time at the 4 nations championship for 635 kg total

Squat

Since the last competition I just done my motivation has picked up knowing my first international meet is only 5 weeks away and my total is so poor for that standard.

Actually started the week with a late night run for cardio. Think I will do this twice a week to see if the improved cardio helps training and performance.

Squats (More of a Low bar + moderate width)

Worked up to 210 kg (95%) x 1 using the new cheap whippy bar at my gym. It is deeper knurling and actually straight so might be better for deadlifts but definitely wont use it on squats & bench.

My form on squats is so bad right now and not 100% sure of what to do about it right now with another comp coming up. Think I will need to keep the intensity high for these 4 weeks of training and add weight slowly.

High bar squats

160 kg x 6
    140 kg x 13

Front squats

Up to 130 kg x 1......Randomly gave these a go and think they will stay in as the fact that they are so hard for me means I should work them a lot.

Today done some hypertrophy work for upper body

cable upright rows, band pushdowns, rear fly machine, band pull a parts, upright row w/bar, curls w/bar, hammer curls and side lateral raises

Then done another bout of cardio in the form of outdoor running.

Today was more isolation work for upper body. Kept the exercises mostly the same from yesterday emphasizing upper back and arms.

Deadlift

Worked up to 220 kg x 2-1-1-1 (5)..........Used my velcro belt for everything today so should hopefully be a bit stronger when I can get my thick belt to fit again.

Deficit deadlifts w/red + blue bands
    140 kg x 3
    160 kg x 3
    170 kg x 3
    180 kg x 1
    190 kg x 1

DE deadlifts w/red & blue bands

6 x 1 w/140 kg..............This new bar has sharp knurling so this volume of deadlifts tore into my palms hence not much sets on this.

High bar squats

Worked up to 170 kg x 1 (Legs tired from deficit so no reps)
    Down set: 140 kg x 16

Work capacity pretty good right now. Would not have been able to get anywhere close to this in the recent past

Bench Press

Paused (power ring grip)......warmed up with max legal but did not feel good at all.

135 kg x four x doubles................Could not set up well today and was very tired from yesterday.

Pin press (same grip)

140 kg x 5 total lifts...........This is a very messy lift. Always well out of the groove. Though don't think benching with bands carried over well into paused meet bench

Done accessory work today instead of after yesterdays bench session.

The usual exercises. Cable upright rows, band pushdowns (using 2 blue bands this time), cable curls and rope crunches.
    Then some upper body mobility stuff.

Will also do cardio later. Another interval style outdoor run.

Weight was 108 kg today