The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Squat

Top single this week was 215 kg. Heaviest training squat since March. Planning on adding 5 kg to top single up until the meet and finally break my plateau then can add a lot more volume and beltless work into squat training.

Stability is becoming more difficult each week as my belt is basically giving me nothing at the minute. Its just sitting on me. Hopefully when it gets sorted I will be much stronger.

High bar squats
    Up to 180 kg x single and drop set of 150 x 7

Front squats
    Up to 140 kg x 1. Very messy. Hate these very much so probably best I carry on with them.

Done another single with 160 high bar and was done for the day.

Today was the usual GPP stuff.

Hypertrophy work for the upper back ,arms and abs.
    cable upright row, band push-down, cable curls, hammer curls, side raises & db side bends.
    Then more cardio later

Deadlift

230 kg x 3 singles (wore my stronger belt this week high on the torso where it is tighter)

Was able to grind through the top of each lift better than usual at my gym as the new bar has deep knurling and is straight. That and the fact that the band deadlifts & upper back training has made my lockout stronger. Decided not to do any more after 3. Calluses were torn again and was working around it too much.

Deficit w/red & blue bands
    180 kg x 2
    190 kg x 2..........Really had to fight to lockout. This is why I think they are making me better with regular deadlift.

Speed work: 8 x 1, 140 kg

High bar squats
    170 kg x 5
    150 kg x 8

Bench

Paused (inside rings)

140 kg x 2
    145 kg x 2

Pin press (inside ring grip)

145 kg x 2

4 x chin ups/pulldowns, band pushdowns & hammer curls

Today done accessory work for Abs & upper body. Will also do a run later and again Thursday as only ran once last week.

Cable upright rows, cable curls, band pushdown x4
    upright row & curl w/bar x2
    leg raises x3
    chin ups x2
    planks x 60 sec

Weight today was 105 kg (done at the gym)
    Seem to have dropped a lot of weight again after my meet 2 weeks ago but strength is being maintained/improved.

Squat

Worked up to 220kg x 1. Had to wear my velcro belt underneath my thick one to try and get some tightness. As soon as I tried this felt really light un-racking.

High bar

Worked up to 190kg x 1 (Forgot to change the bars for this and got thrown forward)
    Changed to bent eleiko bar: 150 kg x 10

Front Squat
    120kg x 1
    130kg x 1
    100kg x 6

GPP today

1st session (30 mins): chin ups, band pull a parts & rope crunches x4. Db side bends & leg raises x2. Hammer curls & side raises x2

2nd session: outdoor interval run

at 2.5 weeks out I am now thinking I could aim to make weight for the 100 kg class by getting under 105 and then trying a water cut again.

Deadlift

Body weight: 105 kg

240 kg x 1.....bar rolled forwards and did not lockout as fully as I should in a meet
    Missed a 2nd lift with bar coming forwards again. Weight was too much to overcome this like I have the past 2 weeks.

Deficit w/red & blue bands
    200 x miss....did not sink my hips at the start enough
    180 x 3 PR
    190 x 1
    195 x 1 PR

Speed work: 10 x total lifts w/140 kg off deficit and same bands

Very long wait for squat rack (approx 30 mins)....Lost any adrenaline rush I had and went really cold and stiff.

High bar squats

Top single 180 kg
    160 x 3
    140 x 2 w/long pauses

Bench

Paused Bench (Inside rings)
    145 kg x 3 singles...........This grip and pauses felt much better this week. Tried a double on first set but really don't keep in the same groove when repping with a proper pause. Moved fast off my chest and seem to be able to muscle heavy weights up to lockout now where I used to miss a lot at 90%+.

Pin press
    140 kg x 4 (PR)
    150 kg x 3 doubles (PR's)...............I think these have helped me with being able to muscle the bar up close to lockout as these are very awkward to control coming off the pins.

Done some band pushdowns, pulldowns and hammer curls at the end.

Spent 30 mins today training Abs and upper back with no rest periods between sets. Later is intermittent cardio, which will be just be done in the gym on a machine for convenience.

Squat

Final squatting before my next meet on July 6.

As planned worked up to 225 kg to attempt a single. Missed it. Definitely feel I can get it at the meet when my belt finally gets fixed, which has taken a long time and I have been suffering. My waist has shrank every week. Weight is down to 102 kg after sessions.

High bar

180 kg x 3 singles
    150 x 3 + 140 x 5 paused reps

Front squat

100 x 6
    120 x 1 (need to be modest on these and get stronger with light weights)
    100 x 6

Very depleted today from the keto diet and high frequency of training activities this cycle so not too worried about poor showing of strength.

I am thinking I can weigh-in close to 100 kg and still squat a PR next week if I choose the numbers right and prepare properly.

Abs/Upper back & Cardio today

leg raises + Db side bends x4
    weighted planks x3
    cable upright row x5
    15 mins on the x-trainer (intermittent work)

Deadlift

Pushed the final couple of sessions back a day to give me more recovery time.

Worked up on regular deadlifts just wanting to go heavy with very low volume. After a single with 220 kg I just went for 250 kg even though it would be a target at the meet. I am already very fatigued and training on a calorie deficit at this stage anyway so anything over 220 would have felt very heavy today.
    Missed it at halfway. Plan to recover, peak and get it at the meet in my 2nd deadlift attempt.

Deficit w/red + blue bands
    190 kg x 2
    200 kg x 1 (PR).....Both these sets took a lot of effort to beat the bands. The single lasted 7 seconds!

High bar squat

Paused: Worked up to 160 kg x 1
    170 kg x 1
    180 kg x 1

Not paused: 150 kg x 5

Bench inside rings

Final main session before the meet next week and unfortunately due to me training alone and with the gym being empty this time of year I had no one to liftoff for me to work up to heavy paused singles.
    Got to 140 kg x 1 (first time I have ever self un-racked this weight myself) and done a long pause and it flew up. Did not want to try anything heavier with no spotter. This could be an ideal opening attempt and will feel like a warm up lift.

Pin press
    140kg x 2
    155kg x 1
    155kg x 1
    140kg x 3.............These were horrible today. Was pressing well out of the groove towards my head. Should be a good sign of improved lockout strength though.

Abs/Upper back

Probably the final training session before Saturday. Left out cardio as I have done 3 sessions this week already and might do some more during the week if I am still wanting to try and make weight in the 100 kg class. Today's weight was 102.5 kg. Not sure how accurate this is. Could be way off come Saturday.

Leg raises, Db side bend, Abs pulldown x2
    weighted planks x3
    cable upright row, band pull a part x3

done more work for abs, arms and upper back today but kept it really light. Didnt bother with cardio as weight was 101 kg already

No more accessory work the week of the meet but still feel the need to do cardio (light) and mobility/stretching. I don't do well with a lot of time off even when its only 1 week so still like to stay active close to the day. Going to keep on my strict diet until the last 48 hrs before weigh-in then slowly start eating carbohydrates. Hopefully my strength will peak this way by retaining some water and glycogen while still weighing in much lighter than last comp. Need to focus on the priority of getting stronger every meet rather than just coming in better shape and lighter.

Meet result

Competed in my 5th powerlifting competition on Saturday. Was a 4 nations team event between the UK countries in the British Drug Free's and I was on Ireland team. Was a disaster going out on squat but learned much more at this comp than any of the others and am even more motivated than the last time now.

Weighed in at 106 kg after going off keto diet few days prior. Much lighter than June 2nd meet.

Squats

Like at the British championship I messed up my warm ups. Rushed them only to have a long wait before my opener. Last warm up with 190kg was also hard but stupidly did not change opener to 200kg.
    Missed 215 kg on platform 3 times all identical. Went much lower than needed and folded over badly.

Was allowed to carry on but without points.

Bench

Warm ups went very well then another long wait before planned easy opener. All 3 lifts moved very badly. Got 140 and 145 and attempted small PR of 152.5 but did not have it in me on the day.

Deadlift

Warm ups horrible. Was so tired even with improved conditioning. 230kg opener was really easy and attempted 5kg PR of 245kg twice but back was just too fatigued from all the missed lifts.

Body was really thrashed after this mainly because of missing so many lifts. Need to take a longer break until next meet so I can lift at a higher standard. In hindsight it is not that big a shock that I performed so badly, it was coming with the way training has been so inconsistent and loosing weight all the time.

Kind of an off-season phase the past few weeks following the horrible performance at my 5th meet. More volume, nothing heavy yet, no belt etc.

Mon 8 July
    Beltless Squats

Paused High bar
    140kgx2x3, 2x2
    130kgx2

Paused Front Squat
    60kgx5x5 (3 sec holds)

Tue 9 July
    Bench

Paused Close grip
    100kgx5x5

Pin press (narrow grip)
    110kgx3x5

+ Upper back, biceps work

Wed 10 July
    Beltless squats

Not recovered for High bar

Paused Ft squat
    8x5 (up to 95kg)

+ Abs, Upper back

Tue 16 July
    Bench

Paused Close grip
    105kgx4x5, 1x4

Pin press (Narrow)
    115kgx2x5,3x4

Wed 17 July
    Beltless Squats

High bar paused....Had to drop load a lot to embarrassing weights as right knee has been sore again and cant load weight on it much.

Paused Ft squat
    6x5 (up to 100kg)

+Abs

Thu and Fri was cardio, abs and upper back work

Current weight is 105kg

Beltless Squat day

Was meant to start deadlifting again but have had some lower back soreness from training all squats with no belt and doing loads of heavy abs training lately so will leave it until next week.

Also my right knee is not 100 percent so only front squats and no high bar.

Will actually switch out high bar paused squat for paused box squat with a low bar for this phase of off-season training as it should take pressure off the knees and work more posterior chain muscles for my competition squat.

Paused Front Squat

60kg x4
    80kg x4
    100kg x2
    120kg x1...worked up to this weight just to test my knee and form. Was easy enough but plan is high volume not heavy sets yet.
    100kg x6
    105kg x2x5

slow temp w/longer pause
    90kgx5
    80kgx2x5

Db side bends, Abs pulldown, Pulldown, Upright row x2

More Beltless Squats & first ever squat days back to back

While I am in full off-season mode I feel the need to push volume and frequency a bit to get out of my comfort zone while the loads are so low. I would like to get my work capacity up to squat 3x a week, benchx2 and deadlift x1 along with all the frequent accessory stuff and cardio 2-3x.

Paused Box Squat
    120kgx5x5.......Depressingly very slow in descent & coming off box. Right knee was wrapped in 2 single ply knee sleeves and still could feel it on every rep. My abs are stronger than ever but with a shrinking waist I am really struggling to use them when squatting. I initially attempted 140kg but was an awful rep so had to go to 55%.

I should improve technically though now that I will back squat again 2-3x a week. Might have to stick to 5kg increase though and build up slow while my knee gets back to 100%.

Paused Ft Squat
    1 big drop set from 105kg down to 60kg with very slow tempo and long pauses below parallel. Was too sore from yesterday to get more volume in.

Rope crunches: stackx20+100kgx10
    Seated hamstring curls: 3x10-20............These machines are too light and probably worthless but may be too quad dominant.

Mon 22 July BENCH

Paused CG
    110kgx4x5
    105kgx6

Pin press w/narrow grip
    120kgx5
    115kgx4
    110kgx3......turned into a drop set as gym was shutting.

4xpulldowns

Thu 25th July: BENCH

Paused CG
    115kgx5,5,5,6,5.....last 2 sets rest-paused due to fatiguing.

Pin press w/narrow grip
    125kgx4
    120kgx4-2-3
    100kgx5

Cable upright row+Pulldown x2

Fri 26th July: Awful DEADLIFT + Failed attempt to squat

Deficit pull

Managed 6 total lifts w/180kg of what was meant to be a few sets of 5 and 6 x singles w/160kg of what was meant to be speed work.

Tried both paused Box + Ft squat but knee wasnt having it.

Sat 27th July: SQUAT (No belt)

Paused Ft SQ
    Singles at 120kg and 130kg....Last one felt very heavy and had to pause at parallel due to knee in a lot of pain.

100kgx7 (PR)
    105kgx6 (PR)
    90kgx5...........Fought hard on the reps through tight hips and very painful right knee (was burning and throbbing).

Upright row+Pulldown x3
    Lying leg curl x20,20,15

morning weight is now 103kg.