Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott's Training Log for First Powerlifting Meet

5th October

Trained at a club and done strict refereed squats. Worked up to 180kg with no belt and very wide stance. Was annoyed at how much strain I had to endure to come out of the hole with this weight, was instructed to descend slow and come up fast.
    The emphasis was on technique rather than strength though.

Also done some light deadlifts with both styles focusing on set up and keeping chest up more.

6th October

DE Bench Day

Only managed 6x triples with 82.5kg and chains with 2 close grips. My shoulders were killing me.

4 x Jm press w/chains using the bar
    4 x Tate press
    3 x Rope Pushdowns
    4 x Chest supported rows
    3 x Machine Inverse flys

Speed Deadlifts while ill

I caught sickness the day before and was struggling all day. I managed to get to the gym feeling a bit better after taking nasal sprays for my nose and resting.

I intend to lift in a deadlift friendly competition on Saturday so needed to get deadlifts trained today and see how they feel.

Managed 8x1 with 175-180kg with roughly 45kg of chain at the top. They were wrapped around the bar 3 times each so kicked in very early in the lift. Speed was ok for DE but definately not as good as last week when I was healthy.

To test my strength a bit I done 3 singles with 210kg + the 45kg of chain so a little over 250kg at the top. The last lift was a bit tough avoiding hitching.

Thinking of opening with 220kg maybe and then take it from there. Would really like more than 260kg for a deadlift only event though.

Accessory work

Close stance good morning

60x8
    100x5
    125x5
    138x5
    145x3
    155x1.....technique was much better this night

Chest supported rows

70x10
    80x10
    90x8
    60x10
    40x12

Decline sit up,Pulldown abs, Db side bend giant set

40kg x 22,40x12,50kgx8

ME Bench

Close Grip Bench w/2 sec pause...Previous best was 130kg

Got 4 sets over 90%
    125x1
    138x1 (PR)
    142xX
    125x2
    138x1
    142xX.............Thought I could get over 140kg today but at least I am almost sure that I am now stronger out wider. Still feel my pecs are doing the lift even with index on smooth grip. Triceps are still a major weak link.

Jm press

80x5
    85x3
    add chains
    80x10
    90x8
    90x8

Db rolling ext

22.5's x 10
    25's x 8

4 x pushdowns
    2x Machine inverse flys
    2x Hand blaster

Done some deadlifting with an eleiko bar instead of the usual cheap crappy one and worked up to 180kg so nothing heavy or taxing using a very close stance.

Bench accessory stuff (moderate intensity)

6 x tate press
    3 x incline bar extensions
    4 x pulldowns
    3 x inverse fly machine

Was supposed to focus more on lat work as I feel its been neglected lately but ended up doing mostly tricep work as it doesn't take as much out of me and is more of a problem with my bench press right now.

Deadlift competition

weigh-in: 119.8 kg/264 lbs

Changed my opener from 220 kg to 230 kg after warming up and feeling strong with an eleiko deadlift bar

Got 230 easily
    went 235 and was a struggle at lockout but got it
    went 240 kg but although it came off the floor fast and didn't feel heavy I hit a brick wall just on mid quads.

It was friendly event so had my 235 passed though I found out with a heavy deadlift I do a slight hitch by bending my knees a second time to lockout so need to fix this or wont have any deadlifts passed in a meet.

Speed Bench + Deadlift accessory stuff

8x3 Bench w/doubled chains using 3 grips

used 75kg(50%) and with the chains looped twice it was heavier throughout the whole lift with less deload on chest and more weight at lockout.

Good Mornings w/chains

60 kg(110@top) x 8...Deep reps
    80 (130) x 6
    100 (150) x 6
    120 (170) x 4 w/belt
    130 (180) x 3 w/belt..........Liked these today

3 x Chest supported rows for the upper back and failed to do abs work as couldn't feel them working for some reason

ME Squat Day

"10" Box Squat w/chains

Worked up to 195kg bar x 1 w/245kg top weight, around 220kg on box.......Massive PR helped a lot by using the powerlifting belt

Chain Good mornings

100 (150) x 8
    120 (170) x 6
    140 (190) x 3

2x stiff leg GM's

3x Decline sit up

40kg x 25

ME Bench Day

Paused Bench (2 sec count w/wide grip)

Worked up to 145 kg x 1, which was missed twice last week close grip. Wide grip always feels stressful on my shoulders and moves slow and when I pause it I feel I lose all the power I have trained up over the weeks. Will probably test with a thumbs from smooth grip next week just to make sure I know my final choice for the meet.
    I missed 150 kg by literally an inch at lockout which was weird as I never miss a bench there.

Slingshot on: 168 kg x 3 paused and 180 kg paused but missed right at lockout, much closer than my last attempt at 180 so not too bad.

3 x JM press....lower weight higher reps as I was hurting
    3x DB rolling extensions........poor form. too much chest and front delts, which is a problem for me with triceps training
    3x tate press....22.5's x 12/25's x 10/27.5's x 8
    2x Kroc row....50 x 25/60 x 12......Exhausting

DE Bench Day......4 weeks out

Done some exhausting deadlift technique work last night and messed my hand up more. Caused me to miss 210 kg 3 times. Think I will stick to the close stance head down style and just work on block pulls and eliminate the hitch. I should be capable of a 600 lb deadlift this way I am told.

Was very tired today but over-training is a lot of shit so went in and done some sluggish speed sets with straight weight. 100 kg and then reduced to 90 kg using 3 grips. 8 sets total very short intervals.

Done 8 sets of Tate press for triceps, 4 flat and 4 incline. Upped the intensity and volume on these. Worked up to 32.5 kg's flat for 6.
    Managed 4 sets of heavy wide grip pulldowns up to 90 kg for 8 before hand gave in so no rowing. Finished with 3 sets of high rep inverse fly machine.

ME Squat Day

Squat w/50 kg of chain weight

Needed 20 minutes of aggressive mobility work on hips and hamstrings and some upper body movements and extra warm up sets as I always box squat and no matter how good your box squat form is a regular squat will feel like a whole different lift and I feel stiffer in the hole. Tried my best to replicate my box squat technique without as much sitting back but need more depth, stability and explosiveness out of the hole in my regular squat over the last few weeks of the cycle.

bar x 2 sets of 5+
    add chains (50 kg total: all loaded at the top and about half de-loaded in the hole) x 5
    70 kg bar (120)x 3
    110 (160) x 3
    150 (200) x 1
    Add belt: 170 (220) x 1
    190 (240) x 1
    205 kg (255 kg) x 1.....I cut this a bit too high so only around parallel when I need lower than that. Chains were swinging at the top and the floor was wet so extra difficulty. It may have been closer to 210 kg on the bar.

I need to do better with the squats as they should be easier than a box squat, just need to do them up until the meet and hammer depth and speed.

Static GM

110 x 5
    130 x 3
    belt: 140 x 5

Stiff leg GM

110 x 5
    70 x 6

Db side bend

50 kg x 12
    40 x 10

Extra Accessory work

Chest supported row - Up to 90 kg and drop set after.
    Wide grip pulldown - Worked up to 80 kg and then back down. Hand still recovering so this was tough.
    Face pull - 3 sets
    Inverse fly machine - 3 sets
    Db curl - worked up to 27.5 kg's and back down. All very strict form.

Took 30 minutes which is way too long for such low volume on accessories.

ME Bench Day

Ill all week and have missed a day this week which is not good so close to competition but what can you do.

Pin Lockout (Wide Grip/4-5 inches off chest)

2 x warm up sets with bar practicing set up press position.
    60 kg x 6
    100 x 6
    125 x 2....Mis loaded on left side by 5kg
    130 x 2...Very weird again as plates at my gym are all under scaled in different amounts
    145 kg x 1.....6 lb PR
    150 x Missed at 90 degree position
    120 x 4.....narrow grip

JM press

80 x 8
    85 x 6
    90 x 3

Tate press

25's x 10
    27.5's x 8
    30's x 6
    32.5's x 6

Inc Tate press

22.5's x 8
    25's x 6
    27.5's x 5

Rope pushdown

3 x 10 reps

finished with shoulder and rotator pre-hab stuff.

I think I have now found my ideal tester for a competition long pause bench press though really it should be a good 10 kg higher than a pin lockout max.

Speed Squats

Squat with Chains

10 x doubles
    130 kg (180) x 5 sets
    135 kg (185) x 2 sets
    140 kg (190) x 3 sets..........felt the speed, depth and form were all very on today. My pants ripped in the hole early on so think that was a good indicator of depth.

"18" Rack Pull

Worked up to heavy singles. Managed 2 with 230 kg and somehow missed 250 because my hamstring felt a sharp tightness shoot up it halfway through the lift which is probably down to lifting off pins with a very stiff bar. I need to do a lot of these before the meet and preferably from blocks.

Wide Pulldown

80 kg x 10
    90 x 8
    100 x 4
    80 x 8

kroc row (w/straps)

70 kg x 12
    x10

Pulldown Abs

40 kg x 12

First weigh-in since before stomach virus and was shocked that it was 124 kg so 273 lbs. Really don't know what is going on. Looks like I might have to cut weight before the meet to be safe.

Rack Pulls and Tricep work

I think there will just be 2 more weeks of full training before the meet now. On Wednesday I will just test bench and squat together and so this session was all accessory stuff.

"18" Rack Pull

I really don't like this lift as it is very weird pulling the bar off steel pins and does not feel anything like a normal deadlift plus I am very weak on it. I worked up to 230 kg and done 4 singles. My calluses re-opened as usual. It looks like I am going to have constant problems with my hands for a long time. I don't know why the skin is so weak.
    My technique in the top half of a deadlift is non-existent and I need to remember when it is on the thighs to push the hips in and lean back squeezing the glutes rather than pull further than necessary, which is what I have been doing.

JM press

80 kg x 10
    90 x 5
    95 x 4
    60 x 10

Tate press

27.5's x 10
    30's x 8
    32.5's x 8
    35's x 5

Incline Tate press

22.5's x 8
    25's x 5

Cambered pushdown

3 x 12.....Right shoulder was filled with acid and was nagging me

Finished with pre-hab stuff

Upper Back stuff

Wide Pulldowns

70 kg x 12
    90 x 8
    80 x 8
    70 x 10

Chest supported row

70 kg x 12
    90 x 10
    100 x 6
    single arm: 50 x 6
    55 x 8+

Kroc Row (straps)

70 kg x 16

Inverse fly machine

3 x 10-12 reps

Finished with Pre-hab drills for shoulders and upper back.

Today I was planning on testing squat and bench

I warmed up then started squatting. Did not take me long to get very deep and all the warm up sets were very explosive and felt light. After my 1st lift with a belt, which was 180 kg I had to wait 10 minutes until I could find a spotter and 200 kg felt harder than it should. Jumped to 220 kg, which I was expecting to get and as soon as I came out of the hole with it I completely folded over and had the bar roll down my neck and head.

Not sure what was wrong. Balance has been off with heavy free squats since I took the box out so close to the meet and was told I shouldnt drop so fast into the hole with maximal weights.

I moved onto bench and started half-assing it as I was so put off by now and ended up missing 140 kg practically on the chest as it came back toward my face.

I done some tricep work and had to get out. I might need to re-test the 3 lifts all together maybe next week before a complete Deload.

I am guessing that I am mentally burnt out waiting so long for my 1st competition so could have already peaked 2-3 times over the months already.

3 Weeks out until my competition so still pushing hard despite being tired

"18" Rack pulls

Worked up to 235 kg and got 2 singles thinking hard about not hitching it to lockout. I can really pull much more with that 2nd knee bend and even more with straps but there is really no sense in doing that anymore. I was literally stalling on the lockout but shoulders were forward so had to grind hard just to get them pushed back
    Dropped to 225 and got a double and a tough single.

Kroc rows

70 kg x 10
    x 6..........No straps. Trying to use them less even on rowing exercises.

Pulldowns

Used palms facing and v-bar handles for light weight and strict reps. Felt I had no strength left for anything close to heavy.

Db side bends

Managed 1 set with 50 kg and a new calluse opened up and bled a lot.

Pulldown abs

super light, tons of reps strict and got a severe cramp in the abs.

Body was screaming at me to stop today it would seem anyway it could. I will just call it overreaching and try and finish this week of hard training before cutting back for next 2 weeks.

Chain Squats, Paused Benching & Rack Pulls

Squats w/chains

Supposed to be the usual DE work but I am so fatigued that I was not able to move explosively and everything was sluggish. My hips were tight even after mobility stuff and so cut it at 7 sets as depth was getting higher due to it.

135 kg (185) 5 x doubles
    140 kg (190) 2 x doubles

Bench press w/meet commands

Managed 6 triples with 2 grips. 3 with 80 kg, 2 with 90 kg and 1 with 100 kg. Didn't feel heavy just like my muscles have no fire power.

"18" Rack pulls

Worked up to 230 kg x 1 and 240 x 1 but fingers gave up as they are swollen and cut. Done some lighter lifts which were still tough.

I hope I haven't fatigued myself too far before competition. Think there will just be one more intense session this Tuesday for meet rehearsal and not much else.

Final hard training before the 18th

Working up to planned openers.

Squat

20 minutes of mobility drills to warm up. Hips were still very tight throughout the squats. Needed 3 sets with the bar also.
    60x3
    100x3
    140x3
    160x1
    Add belt: 180x1....Easiest and probably deepest and best executed lift with this weight so something positive to take to the meet.
    190kg x1......................All these squats were actually paused as I learned from last time I descend too fast and loose tension and therefore control of the bar path.

Bench Press

Used a narrow (thumbs from smooth) throughout.
    60x5
    80x3
    100x3
    110x2
    120x2
    130x1.............All these lifts were also lowered more deliberately and controlled better so I maintain the tension everywhere and pause easier.
    135kg with a wide grip....Had to rely on two spotters who yanked the bar up as I paused it for 2 seconds and they thought I was stapled. This is why I wish I trained with other powerlifters more often.

Deadlift

These all felt poor. I feel heavier than ever approaching the bar. I worked up to 210 for a single. Did not want to hitch.

"18" Rack pulls

190 kg x 6
    200 x 3
    210 x 1..................Found these move very fast and easier if I arch my back harder at set up so I am more upright. Never thought this was the best way to pull maximal loads though. Feel stupid.

Was half asleep tonight as still in an overreached state I think and diet has been better. I have been missing breakfast and just getting by nutrition wise for months now.

Planned openers as of now

Squat: 180 kg
    Bench: If I choose Narrow grip will be 130 kg and If my shoulders feel well recovered and fresh on the day I will go max width and open with 135 or hopefully 140 kg
    Deadlift: This is hard. I wont have removed hitching yet surely so a safe 210 opener maybe. If feeling great I would see 220 kg as a good opener though.

Bench Accessory work

JM press

Worked up to 90 kg x 6 and pyramided back down in drop set fashion.

Tate Press

27.5's x 10
    30's x 6
    25's x 8

Rope pushdowns

20,15,12,10......Worked up in weight

Inverse fly machine

3 x 15,12,10

Db Hammer curl

26's x 15
    28's x 8
    22's x 12

Not able to do upper back movements as my finger is swollen up and cut again. Shoulders were beat up from some of the Triceps work today.

Meet rehearsal for squat & bench

This ended up being a heavy day today so this week probably was not a deload like I planned but a lot more work on the lifts and comp technique lately.

Squats

No warming up other than straight into work with the bar and light weights starting close stance and bringing the feet out every set. I have developed a habit of pausing the reps at the bottom on the lighter lifts so should probably speed it up to utilize the stretch reflex better.

Added my belt for 180kg and got it very comfortably along with 190 and 200kg, which was much easier than last time I took this weight. I then was told to jump to 225kg to get an estimation of an ideal opener at the meet. This weight does not feel heavy at all but I had to unrack it from close to my belly as was working in with other lifters and I made the lift but depth not deep enough. Think it was definitely parallel going by feeling of the tightness in the hole but I need to leave no doubt with the judge.

Bench w/wide grip

Worked up to 140 kg x 1. The pause felt very long, it is something I need to get better at as I do not feel very strong when I pause on the bench. I missed 145 kg close to lockout so at least my sticking point has seemed to move further up the lift and lockout seems like a more common issue with lifters and there is many ways of sorting it out Im sure.

This is me done now until my first meet on Nov 18th. Can't wait.

First Meet: British universities championship

Weighed in at 118.6kg so over 260lbs.

During squat warm up I decided to stick to planned openers even though I was feeling rejuvenated from de-loading and taking it easy in training lately.

190kg x 1.........Very poor bar position and foot placement plus right knee came in badly.
    200kg x 1........This was much better technique wise and felt very easy. I was told at the meet the 1st lift is always hardest.
    210kg x 1........By far the best squat. I took it pretty deep I was told and may have paused it. Felt like an opener but really wanted (Wisely decided on the day) to get 9 good lifts today rather than go all out with 50/50 attempts.

Bench Press

Shoulders were fine today and felt comfortable on every lift.

130kg x 1.......Shaky left arm. Slow descent
    135kg x 1........Bit slow at lockout but much better.
    140kg x 1........The best lift. Very easy but this weight should be an opener for me!! Still learning the required technique for the powerlifts. At least I have an official baseline to improve on now!

Deadlift

This was a hectic rush. Have never warmed up to heavy deadlifts so fast ever. Done 1 set a min in warm up room.

220 kg x 1......Straightforward. Speed is down a bit from months ago though.
    225 kg x 1.......Good choice
    230 kg x X.......Should not have missed this. Got it all the way but did not thrust back shoulders so not counted. No hitching today at least but expected to get 230-240 deadlift at first meet even with technical issues I have.

A 575kg total is really not great for my size but I know that I will continue to progress fast after the first meet. Have to start somewhere. Will get 600+ kg before end of year.

ME Bench

I decided to come back to training today as I was feeling worse from not doing any activity.
    Was not motivated at all. I have read that this is common following meets.

Close Grip Bench (touch and go)
    barx10
    60x8
    80x5
    100x5
    125x3
    135x3 (Some help from spotter at lockout)
    145x1..............Was only planning on working up to a max triple but needed more work/weight.
    120x2

This moved pretty well as I have not done touch and go in a long while.

Extensions (to nose)

45kg x 12
    x10
    x8

Tate press

30's x 9
    35's x 4
    27.5's x 6

Ran out of steam quickly and stopped there. Was purely mental.

ME Deadlift............Whole session was dedicated to my lockout (Think I am starting to understand westside method better now)

Have been busy with university since after the meet and have not trained as much as I would like to have and still do not have the high level of motivation and desire that I have always had since I started strength training. I know this will come back very soon, just a matter of time and need to see what meet is next e.t.c.

Stiff Leg Deadlift (With straps/no belt/Reps were touch and go as emphasis is on targeting my poor lockout)

Started by coming off the rack and lowering first so more of a Romanian deadlift to help warm up.
    160 kg x 3
    180 x 2
    200 x 2
    220 x 1 (This was a huge SDL PR)
    180 x 3
    200 x 1 (GPP seems low right now)

"18" Pulls......More lockout stuff

These were awful. I hate these right now. I definitely used to be much stronger on these. Struggled with 220 kg for 2 singles today

Shrugs.........I chucked these in rather than heavy grip work that would rip my hands to bits and screw training up for another month. Still unsure about their effect on deadlift lockout but some people use it for that.

180 kg x 10
    220 x 8
    240 x 3 (belt)
    180 x 8 (belt+straps)

Tried some hanging leg raises for first time in months and suffered due to being so heavy and having to grind out reps.

Bench Work

Instead of doing speed work without any accommodating resistance I ended up improvising and working up to something that felt heavy and then back down for some kind of volume. Training is in one of them funks but fortunately it is happening now before the next competition cycle.

Close Grip Bench (w/Olympic weightlifting bar: seemed to be significant factor)

Worked up to 120 kg and only managed a rep. 130x1 then 2 more single with 120kg.
    This is typical inconsistent benching for me and this was done touch and go so should still have been able to work up to 140-45kg.

Worked on the typical triceps accessory stuff
    5 x Inc Tate press
    4 x Db rolling ext's

Will do upper back work tomorrow as I am not in shape to do it effectively in same session as this.