Thread: Strained pec?

Strained pec?

12 days ago I was flat benching, warming up with 185, and a few reps in I noticed a dull pain in my right pec. It wasn't like a pop/snap all of a sudden type of thing, it seemed to have just faded in from nothing. With each rep it got worse so by the 6 rep mark I just shut down the bench workout. It's located deep in the pec, right between the outer edge and dead center.

By the time I got home it was very tight/sore so I iced it for about half an hour. It has improved every day until I didn't notice any more pain, but I also hadn't worked my chest at all during that time until yesterday. I took it very easy yesterday to monitor how it felt. I ended with 185 for about 7 and decided not to push it any further. Didn't feel any pain, thought I was out of the woods.

Today I have slight chest soreness, along with that same strain-like pain in my right pec. It intensifies if I do any sort of chest movement like a push up, and hurts the most at the bottom of the rep. Does this just sound like a run of the mill strained muscle? I'm assuming resting it for a few weeks is the only option. Any advice?

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I dont know how your warm up is.. but by stating you were warming up with 185 did you start with 185??? if so. i dont care how strong your bench is you should start with a lot less weight.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    I dont know how your warm up is.. but by stating you were warming up with 185 did you start with 185??? if so. i dont care how strong your bench is you should start with a lot less weight.
    I am obsessive about how I warm up which is why I am puzzled as to why this happened. I start with just the bar for 10-15 just to get blood flowing, then 135 for about 8, 155ish for about 8, then I went to 185 and the first couple of reps felt painful. My typical working sets are in the 235-265 range.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I had this happen in the spring and wound up brining my grip in.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I am obsessive about how I warm up which is why I am puzzled as to why this happened. I start with just the bar for 10-15 just to get blood flowing, then 135 for about 8, 155ish for about 8, then I went to 185 and the first couple of reps felt painful. My typical working sets are in the 235-265 range.
    that is crazy cause we are kinda the same except my working sets are a little higher but i take a long time to warm up and get loose.

I'd ice it and heat it daily. just take it easy
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!