Thread: Going O' Natural Kick My Arse Please!?

Capt. Love Handles LabiosDeMierda's Avatar

Going O' Natural Kick My Arse Please!?

ok i made a post about 3-4 hours ago i got one reply and realised i need to research more so here goes ill let you guys know what i want to achieve and how i want to achieve it and you guys whip my ass into the right direction...

Current: 260Lbs, 6'0, Large Frame, Body Fat % = 'whoah', Nickname "boom boom"

Goal: 200Lbs (my proper weight for my size i THINK?) Not sure on what my body fat % should be.

Method: All Natural due to my heart and liver issues (not MAJOR but any sups could probably take a toll on those two) i would like to get as healthy, huge, cut as possible. im not looking to compete, i do want to impress and a big bicep would probably keep my wifey beggin' for the sexin'.

Questions: What supplements can i take that are just as good as natural real food sups (such as Eggs or can i use Whey)?

Would a low Cal or a low Carb diet be good for my initial weight loss (i would like to avoid any keto diets)?

Remember: im going from flab to fab for LIFE i want to change the way i eat in general (to HEALTHY) for the rest of my life, influence my wife, and motivate and keep my daughter on a healthy track, my side of the family has a F*CKED UP health record, gotta fight it as best i can.

Any help is greatly appreciated and please kick me some links i can scavange for offtime reading besides the stuff on here and webmd.com

Yes it is I again. Question. Do you have a gym membership? And what is your current level of activity?
    Last edited by ElPietro; 06-19-2002 at 08:38 PM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

First of all, welcome to the board. Nice name. if you're looking to lose fat only, then lower your carb and fat intake. for protein, you can use whey,soy,milk/egg white/salmon/chicken breast to name a few. I agree w/ EP though we need more info about your activity level and diet before we can really give good advice. One rule of thumb is to stay the hell away from fast food and fried foods. If you're a beer drinker switch to light beer or tequila
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Thanks for the help! :)

i appreciate the help, my conditions are not bad but i still need to get my blood/urine work done and i need to get a cardiogram (picture of my heart) done. I will then ask my doctor about a dietician he recomends (covered by insurance o' course). But currently my diet consists of the following...

I dont dicriminate much from my diet, mostly my problem is the ammounts i eat and the time i eat.

Breakfast: Typical box food, Cereals, Pop-Tarts, Nutri-Grain, Bagel, etc.. (not all at once, and i dont stuf my face in the morning.) 7-9am

Lunch: Anything i can order and scarf while i work (im a unix admin for a dot-com) Pizza, Burgers, Sandwiches, Chinese, Tai, etc.. 1pm-4pm (busy sometimes)

Dinner: I eat traditional home cooked Cuban food, Fried Everything, All kinds of Meats, Fish, Poultry, rice, beans, soups, stews, breads, etc.. 10pm-1am

I hit the sack as soon as im done eating if its after 12Midnight.

I also tend to eat alot of dessert related foods, (atleast always with dinner)

I quit drinking Coffee (hard for an internet junkie), i quit Soda (ah..) and i quit heavy beer (trying to go light or hard liqour and i only touch the stuff at a party) I preffer a quick toke.

well i guess thats all i can give u...

ohh... i blew out my left shoulder a few years back i have a screw keeping everything together shoved into my clavicula. ( i never did rehab for it now im paying for it :\)

thanks again for your help...

Goal is not only to loose fat but i wanna get big (big first then HUGE), im a pretty big guy already and i have big ass legs (not fatty at all) i keep my weight in my gut, my love handles, and my face.

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Question. Do you have a gym membership? And what is your current level of activity?
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Current level of activity is 'not much' i occaisionaly run or play raquet ball.

No i do not have a membership but my local gym 'Porkys' has a good offer 150.00 for a full year, 24-7 operation (except holidays) and yes im willing to start training immediatly...

You've already taken the first step, good for you.

First, I would focus on getting your diet in order. (looking at your post it's quite evident this should be a major focal point. If your a big dude you may be sensitive to carbs. specifically those on the high end of the GI index) Eliminate fried foods, sugars/deserts, fast foods, processed grains, etc. (not at a single moment, begin to incorporate this into your diet SLOWLY with the goal to severly limit intake of these foodstuffs and possibly eliminate such)

Next, add some form of regular cardio. exercise into your daily/weekly routine. (walking, treadmill, biking, etc.) Increase the intensity accordingly as your level of fitness increases. (take the wife & kids with you, good family activity)

Next, gradually add some form of resistance training a couple days a week.

I use the following:

pushing (chest, triceps, shoulders)
    pulling (bicep, back)
    legs (hamstrings, quads & calves)

A couple sets of two different movements should suffice. Maintain a brisk pace with the goal to be in/out within an hour max. (don't forget to do a couple warm-up sets)

Hope this gets you started.
    Best Regards,

MRJ thanks i appreciate the info, this is very exact on what i need to do to get started thanks. Me trying to figure it all out would probably just have me quit.

again, thanks to all of you.

sorry.....

Questions:

Is there a place i can go for healthy recipies, and work out routines?

Should i eat like im trying to 'cut'? In the end i would like to build muscle mass and be 'buff'. (but i guess getting a routine and building some discipline is more important at this point(?).

Any type of natural (i dont mind powders and pills just trying to avoid dangerous chems) supplements i should take to help in weight loss and muscle gains? Also i would like to "flush" my system ive been a smoker for years, a drinker for years, and an unhealthy eater i think my colon would appreciate a brushing (but would like to include all of my insides.

To tell you the truth, I believe L-Carnitine may be the safest fat loss supplement out there and I think it works quite well, but it is also quite expensive.....

That stuff mixed with xenadrine is amazing, but as you want a safe supplement I wouldn't recommend xenadrine
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Originally posted by LabiosDeMierda
    sorry.....

Questions:

Is there a place i can go for healthy recipies, and work out routines?

Should i eat like im trying to 'cut'? In the end i would like to build muscle mass and be 'buff'. (but i guess getting a routine and building some discipline is more important at this point(?).

Any type of natural (i dont mind powders and pills just trying to avoid dangerous chems) supplements i should take to help in weight loss and muscle gains? Also i would like to "flush" my system ive been a smoker for years, a drinker for years, and an unhealthy eater i think my colon would appreciate a brushing (but would like to include all of my insides.
    Answers:

Simply get on the NET and type keywords such as: nutrition, diet, fitness, etc. The sites you will be provided with will keep you researching for many nights to come. Pick and choose what works for YOU. Stay away from anything promising QUICK results as those types of programs, diets, etc. are short term at best.

Eat like you are trying to eat HEALTHY. Accomplishing this goal (in conjunction with exercise) will bring about the desired result. (loss of bodyfat and addition of lean mass).

First, determine your current intake & breakdown to maintain your state. (track your diet and caloric intake & breakdown of Protein, Fats & Carbs. for a week. Divide by 7 and this is you maintenance diet)

Second, subtract 500 calories from your daily total. Modify your breakdown (whatever it is) to something balanced. I use 40p/20f/40c when trying to gain lean mass & 35p/45f/20c when dieting to losing a bit o'fat. (I always maintain 1g/1lb. of protein regardless of total caloric intake & adjust fat/carb. intake to balance the daily totals)

Be patient. (You will lose weight, but it will be a slow process, about 1-2 lbs. a week is optimal. This will preserve what lean mass you have)

When the weight loss stops from this change, decrease your daily caloric intake by 100-250 calories p/day, p/week and so on.

You may have to play with the ratios as everyone is different, but this will give you a base to start from.

The only supplement I use is Whey in the form of a powder & only for my Post workout beverage. Additionally, I use a caffeine supplement prior to working-out or exercising, but I don't do the usual ECA (ephadrine, caffeine, aspirin) stack. I just don't need it.

In closing, I would urge you to read, read and then read some more. There is so much information out there it will boggle your mind. When in doubt ask questions, but don't take all the answers as religion. Give 'em a try and see how they apply to what you are trying to accomplish.

Not everything will work for you, there are no cookie cutter programs that will meet everyones needs.

Just be sure to keep everything in perspective.

You may have to be patient in achieving your goals, but in doing so you will be changing your lifestyle (slowly) to support the new you for years to come.

Set short-term goals and go get 'em. Keep the goals challenging, but not impossible or you'll give-up out of frustration.

Best of luck to ya'.
    Last edited by MRJ; 06-20-2002 at 04:52 PM.
    Best Regards,

You didn't mention your water intake, however, if it is low then up it alot. It was one of the first changes that I made as I started down this path. As you get your diet in order and begin to know how many calories you need, you can break up those calories through out the day. You can break up your meals into 6 specific meals a day - morning, mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon, dinner, bedtime. Same number of calories, just spread out over the 6 meals. Try to include the same number of P/F/C splits that you decided you need in each of those meals.

And welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 06-20-2002 at 05:01 PM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Water intake, on average about 1-2 gallons (a day), maybe more during the weekdays. I took up water when i quit smoking, i was told i would gain weight and i did. I decided to drop coffee/redbull and sodas and water just became a staple these last 2.5 months...

MRJ, thanks again
    rookie, thanks for the welcoming..

ohh... final question!

I have build quite a few strech marks around the love handle area and my arm pits... Is there anyway to kinda get rid of em?? I hear with weight loss the tend to get lighter and kinda dissapear but never truly gone.

I also have some crazy love handles, im not that big for em but it seems its where i keep my storage any activities you guys recomend to lower the lovies and the gut???

thanks again for the help all.

Originally posted by LabiosDeMierda
    ohh... final question!

I have build quite a few strech marks around the love handle area and my arm pits... Is there anyway to kinda get rid of em?? I hear with weight loss the tend to get lighter and kinda dissapear but never truly gone.

I also have some crazy love handles, im not that big for em but it seems its where i keep my storage any activities you guys recomend to lower the lovies and the gut???

thanks again for the help all.
    Don't know much about stretch marks, but it would seem similar to scar-tissue and unfortunately that would be a permanent condition.

It would seem as you lose weight and the skin begins to tighten from exercise, etc. they may become less visible.

Everyone is predispositioned to fat storage and you (like most males) will store the majority of your excess tissue in the gut area.

Unfortunately, the first area to receive storage seems to be the last to lose it, but it will decrease incrementally with the loss of excess tissue. It will just lag behind.

When dieting I lose weight from the top down starting with the neck area, shoulders, back, rib-cage and so forth. Once the first percentile of fat is lost my body seems to focus most on the gut area, whist taking smaller bits from the areas described above.

Just to clarify . . . I keep my fitness goals in perspective (I manage my body, it doesn't manage me) and therefore don't go below 10% b/f. My methods and suggestions may be a bit less drastic than others who are driven to achieve a lower b/f level.

Eating 6x daily is excellent advice.

Keep 'em coming.
    Last edited by MRJ; 06-21-2002 at 12:21 PM.
    Best Regards,

Eat a balanced diet that is low in saturated fats.

Avoid supplements for now, you can lose weight without them by just eating smarter and eating less.

Start some weight training if you aren't already doing so, plenty of info on this board.

More important than the percentage of carbs, fat, and protein IMO is the TYPE of carbs, fat, protein.

Carbs - avoid sugar, white bread, refined flour - keep corn and potatoes to moderation

Fats - avoid dairy fats and fatty meats and stick to fats that will raise your HDL - ie. unsaturated fats from olive oil, nuts (unroasted), etc.

Protein - take your pick but remember that many protein sources come with saturated fat which are not good for your heart

The simplest way to look at this is that your body is a reflection of your lifestyle. If you are lethargic then your body will reflect that.

One thing I find works wonders is to always go for a long brisk walk after dinner.

Good luck.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Not much you can do that will get rid of stretch marks. There are some long term solutions that will cause them to fade a bit more but you are pretty much stuck with them.

At this point in the game I would suggest your next step be joining a gym and training regularly 3-4 days a week. You have made some changes in diet already which is good but now will experience the most significant difference through weight training. Your body will now USE those excess calories you're used to eating in order to sustain some muscle growth, and while these muscles begin to bud your fat deposits will drop as well. This will also have long term effects of having your body require more calories to support the added muscle...which in turn will alleviate much of what you eat from going to fat cells.

You can browse the training forums or online journals to find good examples of training programs. Or if you are confused ask questions or if you want you could send me a private message with questions. I'm not the absolute best choice here but would be willing to help you design a program or answer any specific questions. Sometimes these threads can get a bit spammy and then with so much conflicting views it's easy to get confused rather quickly.

Either way I think you have what you need to start yourself down the path...don't sweat the details at this stage.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 06-21-2002 at 12:42 PM.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Thank you *ALL*, for now i think its safe to close this thread since i have something to work with and a basic structure of what i want, need, and how to get there... I appreciate you all... I will probably start an online journal once i finish getting my member ship at the gym and all this crazyness at work stops... (1-2 weeks left on my current project) well thanks again and see you all on the boards...