Thread: Sweet Potatoes?

Hybrid View

Sweet Potatoes?

I've been doing the low carb/high protein deal since December, and I can tell a LOT of difference. However, there's a guy at my gym that competes in BB shows and he told me that I should enter some complex carbs into my diet during breakfast and lunch. He recommended sweet potatoes. I don't know about that. I've been staying away from regular potatoes like they had the plague. Are sweet potatoes much different? Can anyone explain?

Yams/sweet potatos are an excellent choice for complex carbs

They are much lower on the glycimec index and have more nutrients than regular potatos. When I want to add complex carbs to my diet I either eat sweet potatos, old fashion oat, or brown rice

Alright, I'll try it for a little while. I was just curious, because the guy that told me that is naturally very lean, where I'm always fighting the BF battle. Seems like an uphill battle, too. Oh well, if the carbs will make me lift more and help me to not feel so tired, I'll try it.

Another way to do it........

Would be to stick with your low carb diet and have 2 carb up meals each week. Have one on day 3 and day 7. When I am trying to get shredded I go with a low carb moderate fat diet and have the 2 carb up meals. What has worked best for me is to have the carb up meal as my last meal of the day. I shoot for about 125-150 grams of carbs from oats, yams, and a banana. You can prepair the oats and yams then mush them together with the banana and throw in a scoop of protein powder. Trust me it taste a lot better than it sounds. This will do two things. 1 it will replenish your muscle glycogen stores and 2 it will jump start you metabolism. Trust me I was very sceptical when this was first suggested to me but I tried it and found it to be the best way for me to add carbs into a fat loss diet.
    One other thing. If you are going to try the 2 carb up meal approach it is important to keep your carbs low for the rest of your meals. Try to keep it at about 10 gr per meal and make things like vegggies, strawberries or grape fruit your primary carb source. Good luck!

I still havnt tried these yet, i dunno what I am waiting for lol
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

i consider sweet potatoes a vegetable for the reasons gopher mentioned. great way to get starchy carbs when you are low-carbing. high in vitamin a too.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I'm sure you guys (and gals) are right. I probably need to eat more carbs. I honestly eat mostly meat. I don't eat enough, really. So far today I've had Ripped Fuel, a protein shake, Ripped Fuel and a water pill, Grilled Roughy and steamed veggies. But I feel bloated, so I can't eat anymore. Oh, and I kinda' do that carb up meals like you said. I basically just have Saturdays to eat what I want...with moderation of course. I still won't eat cakes or anything like that. No sweets. Fried foods, though....mmmmm