Thread: Need routine help (very limited equipment)

Need routine help (very limited equipment)

I am traveling for work and the only gym I have access to is the one in my hotel. The only lifting equipment they have are dumbbells up to 50 lbs, an adjustable bench, leg curl and extension machine, and a cable machine where you can do tricep press downs and the like (no lat pull downs however).

My goals are just to get in better shape, I have been lazy lately and put on a few extra lbs. I have no delusions of being able to make any major improvements with this equipment, I would kill for one bar and some plates but I have to make due with what I have.

Any suggestions for a 3 day a week routine? They also have some cardio equipment that I will try to use some just to build some endurance (I hate cardio). I figure with the light weight I should stay in higher rep ranges but I am not sure what the best approach I should take is. I have always structured my routines around a bar and some plates so I am a bit out of my element.

EDIT: SEE POST 3 FOR A ROUTINE ROUGH DRAFT

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ncsuLuke; 09-16-2012 at 05:46 PM.

I have no idea where to start with a routine but I can tell you how id train haha! its just food for thought at the end of the day! make do with what you have got and dont forget about bodyweight exercises and jumps/sprints etc! they can be brutal if you add them alongside things! If it were me I would superset alot of exercises with similar ones, DB Presses - bodyweight push/press ups etc for example or slow the tempo down a ridiculous amount on the eccentric portion of the lift/s, train a few things to failure or pump out some higher reps. You could also play around with different rest periods or rest pause training! Just make any exercise harder than it originally needs to be!

I feel your pain with no bar or plates! I think id go insane if that was me! I bet you can still get it done though if you put your mind to it!
    Last edited by J L S; 09-16-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

So I am thinking something like this...

Day 1
    DB Incline Bench - 3x12
    DB Fly - 3x12
    Tricep Pressdowns - 3x8
    DB Kickback - 3x8
    Ab work
    Cardio

Day 2
    Goblet Squats - 3x12
    Leg Raises - 3x8
    Leg Curls - 3x8
    Hammer Curls - 3x10
    Light Cardio

Day 3
    DB Shoulder Press - 3x8
    DB Lateral Fly - 3x10
    DB Front Raise - 3x10
    DB Row - 3x8
    Ab work
    Cardio

Any thoughts? Day two is a bit shorter because it is always the day I end up busting my ass at the office so I don't want a longer workout when I will have been working for the past 12 hours or so. I feel like the back work is REALLY lacking, there is a pullup bar but I can't do many unassisted pullups right now so that will only help so much. Do you think 50lb DB deadlifts would even be worth doing? I mean I could do them fast and for sets of 12 but it just seems really light.

Wannabebig Member
    Looks solid. I would also add some dumbell deadlifts
    Want to handstand like bruce lee ?

www.lostartofhandbalancing.com

Learn How To Do A Handstand !

You could do lots of challenging bodyweight exercises.

The poster above me (if that really is Logan) could give you a great program I bet.

Wannabebig Member
    Honestly 50lb dumbbells only get you so far, especially when doing the bigger compound exercises like squat and deadlift. And nothing beats those 2 exercises for lower body and core. I'd recommend getting some heavier dumbbells when you can. I use the powerblocks that go up to 130lb a hand in addition to a barbell and I love them.
    Check out my dumbbell routines at http://produmbbellworkouts.com!

I'd also think about some typical Kettlebell exercises with the dumbell such as:
    swings
    snatches
    clean and presses

If you got a lot of DB work, rotate in some one armed work.
    DB stifflegged deadlifts are great.
    Bulgarian Split Squats are great.
    Stepups/lunges
    You could work on pistols (one legged squats).

With the stack you might be able to add:
    Face pulls for the rear dealts/upper back
    kneeling ab crunches
    you can do stiff arm pulldowns or even sit on the ground to do lat pulls or row variants.

Can you do bodyweight rows off of something for the upper back or is it worth buying something like a TRX that you can bring down to the weight room with you?

If the weights are light for you, you might try to do a lot of super set work or preexhausts.

Quote Originally Posted by scalley View Post
    Honestly 50lb dumbbells only get you so far, especially when doing the bigger compound exercises like squat and deadlift. And nothing beats those 2 exercises for lower body and core. I'd recommend getting some heavier dumbbells when you can. I use the powerblocks that go up to 130lb a hand in addition to a barbell and I love them.
    lol no shit sherlock. I'll let you know when American Airlines lets me take 130 lb dumbbells in my carry on.

Thanks everyone else for the advice, I seem to have a decent routine down now for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    I feel like the back work is REALLY lacking, there is a pullup bar but I can't do many unassisted pullups right now so that will only help so much. .
    Not sure what the extension thing is that you're talking about, but I'm assuming its not high enough for lat pull downs. Is there any way you can sit on your knees and do them or maybe some face pulls?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Not sure what the extension thing is that you're talking about, but I'm assuming its not high enough for lat pull downs. Is there any way you can sit on your knees and do them or maybe some face pulls?
    Yeah, I worked some face pulls in and that worked really well.