The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Does the grip even matter?

I am currently bulking up and building a large and muscular back and shoulders is a big priority for me. In particular i really want to get the lats to grow. My question is, when performing exercises such as the various rows and pulls does the grip even matter? I am reading all of these posts and articles saying x grip for this result, y grip for that result z grip for another result. This may sound really ignorant but shouldnt the goal just be to use the grip that lets you lift the most and let your genetics dictate how the muscles will grow? Or to rephrase the question, are variations in grips enough to alter how your genetics would naturally have the muscles grow?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

IMO, I feel it hitting the body differently. For example the T-Bar row has two handles at my gym; when I take an over hand grip i feel like it hits my back more compared to an underhand grip where it hits the triceps

Hand position can change the leverage you have on the pull. It also changes the position of the elbow and shoulders, which can affect muscles a little differently...but nothing that is going to make the magical difference that everyone is looking for. Bottom line: use the grip you are most comfortable with. Genetics, work, food, time and patience are the real keys.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Bottom line: use the grip you are most comfortable with.
    This. While hand position may play a role, it isn't as important as your routine, diet, sleep, ect...It's a lot like when people ask, "Should I do 8 reps, or 10 reps?" Do you think your body can tell the difference? That question is negligible relative to the bigger, and much more important, questions.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Quote Originally Posted by RobmoriRB View Post
    IMO, I feel it hitting the body differently. For example the T-Bar row has two handles at my gym; when I take an over hand grip i feel like it hits my back more compared to an underhand grip where it hits the triceps
    orly?

never had a pull hit my triceps before.. thats weird
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

When I was doing heavy (for me) deads, I liked to take the grip out of the equation with hooks. I also used them for shrugs.

http://www.1tonhooks.com/

I know. Pretty cheesy ad this guy has. Made my think twice before I bought them. But they are VERY high quality and were well worth the $60 IMO.
    Last edited by r2473; 09-18-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
    When I was doing heavy (for me) deads, I liked to take the grip out of the equation with hooks. I also used them for shrugs.

http://www.1tonhooks.com/

I know. Pretty cheesy ad this guy has. Made my think twice before I bought them. But they are VERY high quality and were well worth the $60 IMO.
    No. Bad.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Why?

I suppose I am answering this from a completely biased Powerlifting point of view, however; Deadlift IS a whole-body movement. This includes your grip. A strong grip affects the tightness of your entire body during a lift. Allowing the weight to pretty much "hang" from your wrists, while pulling, is a great way to tear something. You won't be as tight and locked down on the bar. The grip is where the rubber meets the road so to speak. Why remove the grip from the Deadlift? And if you are having trouble holding onto what you are attempting to pull, there is most likely technique and/or weaknesses that need improvement. Why would you neglect those?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Good points. I have no idea if my technique was good, bad, or in-between.

As I had no interest in lifting in meets, I really didn't worry about using hooks, straps, etc. My focus was purely on my back development and I didn't want my grip to be the weak link.

I was repping 5-plates, 3X5 before I pretty much quit going heavy. Had trouble holding the bar for the entire set and lots of problems on the last set.

To stay "in shape" these days, I rep 4-plates a few times a month. I don't need the hooks for this much weight.

I was just thinking that if the OP is only focused on building a strong back, the hooks might be of some interest to him. But I do realize they are pretty frowned upon by most guys.

Just tossing it out there as an option. And if the OP goes that route, the hooks I linked to are very well made. I wouldn't use the ones on the shelf at the local Sports Authority, etc.
    Last edited by r2473; 09-18-2012 at 12:16 PM.