The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Scott Yards Training Log

I am currently resting up for a raw meet november 7th. Im hoping to get a PR total and crack the 2000 mark. My best raw total to date is 1980. Instead of cutting and pasting my entire log from Elite for this cycle Ill add my training clips to show what Ive been up to the past few months.

My training is pretty simple. For the squat I do 5-3-1. For my Bench I use a a variety of ME type lifts alternating each week. For my Pull I use more of a periodization cycle with 3 exercises. Pulls from the top, Pulls off the floor and block pulls. I deload every 4th week on all lifts. Thats pretty much it.

Here are highlight from this training cycle.

685 for 3 Squat

Video

635 for 6 Squat

Video

770 Block Pull

Video

705 Deadlift Double

Video

1B 530 Bench

Video

Heres vids of my best lifts from my last raw meet in may.

730 Squat

Video

505 bench

Video

745 Deadlift

Video
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 10-19-2009 at 09:57 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Fixed the videos for ya

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Some awesome videos Scott! I'm happy to see you post up some differnt things rather than just your log from EFS, especially since I follow that too

TJW
    I always check out your log on elite, so I will definitely be following your progress here too.

Awesome videos Scott!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Recovery and Stinch

Band Traction 3 sets of 30 seconds each arm with blue band
    Bench with bar 100 reps
    lat pulls with 45lbs 100 reps
    Shoulder circuit with 5 lb D.B's( 10 reps to front, side rear and overhead)

Im trying to get as much blood in the area as possible. Wednesday Im going to do 3 sets of 100 with reverse blue bands with 135. Ive been told this is good ****.

Also.................................I smell today!

I made chicken tacos last night for dinner. I took a shower before cooking them. For some reason I fried 2 whole onions and the whole house smelled for a few hours. Any way with my towell being wet( from just showering) it must of absorbed all that onion smell. When I took a shower this morning I used that towell and realized that it was reaking of onions. Not good when I have 3 meeting stoday. I re-showered and threw the towell in the wash and got a new one but i swear I still smell. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn you chicken tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Damn you chicken tacos.
    Lol! That's some funny ****, awsome lifts too man!
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Assistance Day.............Or lack thereof I guess.

I tried to do some back, bicep, and upper back work today but it was a no go. Too much pressure on my shoulder. Instead I did a very light weight high rep recovery workout again

I did lat pull downs with Wide bar, neutral Grip pull downs on machine, Hammer strength low row, Hammer strength high row, Hammer strength shrug, hammer strength curl machine.

All machines for 2 sets of 30

Then I did: Incline bar for 30, Decline bar for 30, and flat bench bar for 30

Abs: 3 Sets of 15 each. Standing Cable Abs, hanging Leg Raises, Inline Ab board Sit ups.

I finished with 25 Minutes on the treadmill.

Just focusing on what I can do, and not what I canít.
    Last edited by ScottYard; 10-20-2009 at 12:16 PM.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Squat Pull Day

Squat
    135 for 5
    225 for 3
    315 for 1
    405 for 1
    520 for 1 700% OF BEST RAW SQUAT OF 730

Block Pull
    135 for 3
    225 for 1
    315 for 1
    405 for 1
    520 for 1 70% of meet best of 745

FINISHED UP WITH SOME BLUE BAND LEG CURLS, KNEE EXTS AND LEG RAISES, STANDING CABLE ABS, AND INCLINE BENCH ABS WITH MINI BANDS.

3 SETS OF 15 FOR EVERYTHING.

I ALSO DID MORE REHAB

More Rehab...............................................

I did a **** load OF barbell movements with just the bar. Military, Bench, Row ect. I also threw in some pulldowns and curls. nothing much and very light weight. basically im just trying to keep the joint loose and mobile. My Dr gave me some nice NSAID's and they seem to be helping. I have only taking them 2 days and my should feels better.

The only problem is I cant drink on this **** as it will tear your stomach up..............DAMN I just filled my kegerator up with a new keg. I guess it wont hurt though. My weight is at 278 2 weeks out and If I cut the booze out due to the pills I may not have to cut any weight come meet day.

None the less Im tired of taking it easy and ready to compete. 2 weeks out!
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Killer vids man, exceptional lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Killer vids man, exceptional lifts.
    Thank You!
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Well.....................................I get the old nock nock on the door. Run down stairs and no ones there except a big ass box full of atlarge goodies.

I opened my box and immidiately slammed some results, Ets and a opticen shake. I was happy that they actually tasted good. I have issues with protein shakes and typically shy away from them b/c they taste like **** for the most part. Im excited to say I wont have any issues gulping these bad boys down as they arent just managable to swallow, They actually are tasty. I have 2 weeks to jam as much atlarge in me as I can until my meet is here. Im sure all the extra intake in quality nutrients will let my shoulder heal faster.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Bench Day

Still no benching today and just some rehab and triceps, Light delts, biceps and abs. I took Results for the first time prior to training. I def had some good energy heading into the gym. Iím sure the results had a role in that.

I did 135 with reverse blues for 1 set of 100 and 5 sets of 50. Just to get the joint to move and blood pushed in there. I then did 135 for 2 reps with out the bands and had minimal pain. Thatís a good sign as just the bar hurt 3 weeks ago.

Triceps

Tate presses
    25's for 8
    50's for 8
    95's for 8 this is the heaviest I have ever gone on these and it felt heavy.

3 Sets of 10 with V-Bar Push downs

3 sets of Side/Front raises with 25's

These werenít too bad. Little sore but felt better at third set.

Reverse band Chins. Iím doing this for shoulder rehab as well. 1 set of 30 I took the bands off to test the waters and did 3 reps before I bagged it, Shoulder felt off and I donít want to irritate it even more 2 weeks out from the meet.

1 Arm Dumbbell hammer curl 1 climbing set per arm. Each weight back to back with out rest
    25's, 35's 50's, 60's Each 8 reps. Biceps were on fire.

Finished the workout with Incline Mini band abs, Lying Leg Raises and some standing cable abs. 3 sets of 15 each.

Iím really hoping that I can hit my lats hard this Tuesday with zero shoulder issues. We will see.........
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Another great addition to WBB. I'll be following for sure.

!!

Amazing stuff in here. Yet another great source of motivation, keep up the good work and thanks for being a part of WBB!
    Squat - 450
    Bench - 325
    Dead - 570

BW - 210
    BF - 13-14%

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121686

Finally some sort of assistance work.

Woke up today with the shoulder feeling better then previous mornings wich was a good sign for todays workout. Decided to do a descent workout up to about 90% weights wise. I need to get some kind of work done and 90% is better then nothing as long as my shoulder can handle it.

T-Bar row
    I worked up to 4 plates for 8 reps. My shoulder only hurt during the racking and un racking part. Good sign.

Reverse peck Deck
    2 sets of 10 with 50lbs

This is a very good sign. I have not been able to do these at all the past 3 weeks. Now I typically do the stack at 250lbs but Im happy to be able to even do the damn thing now.

Bent Dumbell Raises
    50s for 3 sets of 8 No Pain. Would liek to go 65's on these but this was enough to get the blood flowing.

Seated Ab machine
    3 sets of 15
    Standing Cable Ab Crunches
    2 sets of 15
    hangin leg raises
    1 sets of 30

Treadmill for 30 minutes. Shoulder held up pretty good. Getting better is better then getting worse! The meet is 13 days out and Im starting to get a positive outlook.

Finished the workout with an Opticen shake. Good ****!
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Back From WV. I had to go to a funeral for my wifeís uncle in WV the other day. I gotta say Iím a cheeseburger and fry guy and I love Wal-Mart as much as anybody, But I have never seen that many hunting hats and jeans with t-shirts at a funeral. Definitely a different kind of life then what a Baltimore Boy like me is used to.

Anyway I did my last bench workout going into the meet. Iím 6 days out now.

Bench
    Bar for 10 3 sets
    95 for 10
    135 for 5
    185 for 2
    225 for 1
    255 for 1 (50% of Meet best)

I was pretty happy today going up to 255 to the chest. This is the heaviest I have gone to the chest in about 5 weeks now and I had zero pain. The only difference I can really think that I have made since the injury is the Addition to At larges ETS. This Aids in recovery and I have been taking it for a little over a week now and it must be kicking in. I have also added 100 plus grams of protein to my diet with Opticen and Nitrean.

I then did Reverse band again with blues and 135 for 4 sets of 50 for rehab work.

I also did some Green band shoulder traction work as well.

I then did a little ab work and thats all. Nothing else to write about except that Iím ready for the meet. The goal hasnt changed. Im still looking for 2000 injury or not.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Wow man, your meet is fastly approaching - good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Wow man, your meet is fastly approaching - good luck!!

Thanks!
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

I was just thinking...........It has been 45 days since I injured my shoulder. I have resorted to only washing my hair with my one good arm. I only pick my kid up with my one good arm. I have even been having my wife do most of the work during nookie time to save the shoulder. (Hell if I wasnít married I would be doing something else with my only good arm lol). After all this and it still is not healthy. Maybe I shouldnít bench at the meet? I have never had an injury that stopped me from lifting and maybe Iím just not familiar with my own threshold. Iím definitely going to make a game time decision but Dave T made a good point in an email that " Plus I have to squat first then bench" and this may blow my shoulder out before I even get to the bench. Iím definitely in a pickle with this one. I just want to get the meet started and find out how it all plays out. I have done it in my head so many times already that now the suspense is killing. Iím definitely going to open with a token bench to keep in the meet. After that Iím just not sure yet. Just random thoughts that WERENíT from jack handy!
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

11-07-09 APA DE Power Frenzy

275 Class. I weighed 275 on the nose.

Squat Wraps and belt.
    650 Good lift
    735 Good Lift 5 LB PR
    750 Good lift 20 LB PR

Bench
    55 Lbs Not a PR!
    500 Miss
    500 Miss

Deadlift
    650 Good Lift
    750 Good Lift 5 LB PR
    770 Miss

Meet went great. I squatted and pulled for PR's. On the bench I opened at 55 to save my squat and tried to bench. Warm ups felt awfull and 405 hurt like a mother. I decided to take a chance any way. I went to 500 wich is what I needed minimal for 2000. I pushed it up and when my shoulder felt like it was about to tear I stopped pushing. I tried again on a 3rd with a mega wide grip and tried to do a shirted technique bench and did the same. I hurt my shoulder on my third squat pretty good. Once I did that I knew there was no chance of doing a 500 bench. But I took a chance. My shoulder feels like dog **** but atleast I know I tried. Im going to get an MRI scheduled this week to see what the deal is. None the less every thing went awesome. meet was great. My training partners had great days. Matt Wilson hit a big 1105 squat and 2550 total. he missed a 770 pull for 2600. he had 770 locked out and his hand tore. All in all im very happy right now with my results. I went for 770 on the pull and it didnt budge LOL. One of these days ill get a third deadlift. I loaded up on results prior to the squat and took opticen shakes beofre benching and pulling. I felt pretty good all day. I have never focused on nutrition meet day as its a pain in the ass but using the shakes helped me stay energetic and ready to lift. Thanks to Atlarge. Even though I havent been with them long. Atlarge def had a postive effect on my performance meet day.

Heres videos of my squat and pull of 750.

750 Squat
    Video

750 Deadlift
    Video
    Last edited by ScottYard; 11-08-2009 at 12:05 PM.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Great work buddy, time to change that sig!

Best wishes for the MRI.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Way to raise up at the meet with your deads, killer new PR on the squats.

Not too surprised what happened on the bench, hope that clears soon enough bro.
    Last edited by Coke; 11-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks guy!

I havent been doing much this week training wise. Post meet I feel like **** for 2 weeks or so and to be honest dont feel like training lol.

I did do a light shoulder worout to get some blood in the bad one. Nothing fancy just light weights and high reps

Military
    95 for 3 sets of 20

Side, Front bent Raise
    15's for 3 sets of 15 each

Shoulder Traction
    3 sets of 25 Seconds each.

Thats about it. I do have a Appt set up with a Orthopedic Surgeon next week for my shoulder. It will finally be good to see what the hell the issue is.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Good luck with the Doc man.
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330