Thread: Back Acne and Diet

Wannabebig Member

Back Acne and Diet

Hello,
    I am looking for other personal experiences with diet and body acne.

Background of myself:
    I'm a 22 year old male. Currently 175 lbs at 5' 10". I have been into weightlifting for about 4 years now. My main goal has been to gain weight. I keep supplementation simple. Protein powder, multivitamin, and fish oil. For some periods of the year I get more into my training and diet than others. This spring I added creatine monohydrate to my supplementation (5g/day). Along with this i increased my egg consumption to 6-10 eggs per day. I also increased my milk consumption as well. Now these were the ONLY changes i made. Within a few weeks my back started to break out badly. I don't mean small pimples that you can pop, I mean the large sores under the skin that last days and usually never produce a white head. this lasted for about a month before i became skeptical of my increased egg, and milk consumption and addition of creatine. Therefore I quit all of these at once, and within about a week or two my back acne faded away. Unfortunately, I did not try to cut just a single variable at a time from my diet as my back acne was getting very bad and i didnt have the time to play guessing games.

Now that the fall/winter months are coming back, i am back to the same diet i used before. and the same back acne is reoccurring! I am not exactly sure which source is to blame (eggs, creatine, or milk). But i do not want to discontinue any of them as i am making gains in strength and size. But if i can single out one of them as the source I would be happy to remove it from my diet.

Many people will say it has nothing to do with diet or creatine, but i know for a fact that there is a pattern here for me. So here i am looking for your personal experiences. Has anyone else had the same issues? What did you find that caused your back acne?

Thanks,

Joe

6-10 eggs isnt a problem... unless your not taking the yoke out. each yoke gives 7g of fat! that could be 70g of fat in one meal purely from egg yoke... now i dont know for certain whether there is a connection between the two, but you should take a better look at your macros, especially that fat intake...

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    6-10 eggs isnt a problem... unless your not taking the yoke out. each yoke gives 7g of fat! that could be 70g of fat in one meal purely from egg yoke... now i dont know for certain whether there is a connection between the two, but you should take a better look at your macros, especially that fat intake...

Yea i typically do about 2-3 whole eggs for every 1 egg white

Add a garlic supplement into your diet. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and will help a lot with acne.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

Quote Originally Posted by RichardFudnavis View Post
    There are also foods that can make your acne worse, so naturally you want to avoid these.

1. Milk is not your friend
    Milk is good for babies and young children, but not so good for teenagers.
    2. Reduce sugar intake for effective acne diet
    This is not 100 percent scientifically proved, but many doctors suggest that excessive sugar can make acne worse.
    3. Fish oil helps to stop acne
    Eat more fish. Not only it is generally good for your health, but Omega 3 fats found in fish are essential for healthy skin and acne prevention.
    4. Vitamins are important to prevent acne
    Some vitamins are essential for acne diet. Most important are Vitamin B5 and Vitamin A.
    5. Zink can prevent acne
    Eat eggs, whole grains and mushrooms - they are a good source of Zink. Zink can help reduce acne.
    And exactly WHY is milk not good? I can't wait to hear this...
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

Wannabebig Member
    Well they say the androgen hormones in milk cause acne... check it out http://acne.about.com/od/acnetriggers/a/milkandacne.htm

Honestly, I have back acne and I don't worry about it. We are all human and all have flaws... I don't let a little back acne stop me from drinking milk!
    Check out my dumbbell routines at http://produmbbellworkouts.com!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Add a garlic supplement into your diet. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and will help a lot with acne.
    I would agree garlic is a natural antibiotic and also good for high blood pressure but it doesn't come in my mind it could treat acne. Do I need to eat them raw or I would pound a garlic then apply it to the affected area?

There are next to no androgens in milk whatsoever- that writer is incorrect. The only hormone present in any biologically significant concentration in milk is estrogen, which actually reduces acne. I realize this is an old thread, but just saw this.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Oh, and incidentally, eating raw garlic won't have any effect- allicin (the antibiotic in garlic) doesn't get into the body when you simply eat garlic; the only way to get it from garlic is to crush it (since the interaction of both a precursor and an enzyme in the garlic clove itself is needed to convert it, and this won't happen if it's being digested), but given that stomach acid completely destroys the compound, even eating it is useless- it needs to be applied topically.

So yes, crush garlic, apply to the skin. Then go apologize to everyone around you.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results