Thread: Gaining weight via lifting

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Get big or die lifting

So my goal is to gain around 22lbs and to to build a whole body power build as i play a lot of rugby and I'm thinking of doing it with a mixture of olympic lifting and powerlifting as well as a little bit of crossfit work. So my main exercises would be;
    Deadlift
    Front Squat
    Back Squat
    Bent over barbell row
    Power Cleans
    Hang Cleans
    Overhead squats
    Snatches
    Straight leg deadlift
    Benchpress

Are there any other specific lifts you guys think i should be doing and also can you guys share any workouts that will help me build mass and gain strength? Any help much appreciated
    Last edited by roryp; 09-20-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roryp View Post
    So my goal is to gain around 22lbs and to to build a whole body power build as i play a lot of rugby and I'm thinking of doing it with a mixture of olympic lifting and powerlifting as well as a little bit of crossfit work. So my main exercises would be;
    Deadlift
    Front Squat
    Back Squat
    Bent over barbell row
    Power Cleans
    Hang Cleans
    Overhead squats
    Snatches
    Straight leg deadlift
    Benchpress

Are there any other specific lifts you guys think i should be doing and also can you guys share any workouts that will help me build mass and gain strength? Any help much appreciated
    You may want to stick with Back Squat, Front Squat, Rows, Cleans, Deadlift/SLDL, and Bench Press (dropping some of the OLY lifting if you are primarily looking to gain size).

Some things that I would add are pull-up's, incline bench, and military press. You may also want to add in some dips and some sort of direct work for smaller muscle groups (biceps, calves, etc.).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Dr. Subtotal
    If you plan to bulk, spend some time on your diet and nutrition before worrying about the lifting. Caloric dense foods are your friend! Also factor in how much conditioning/GPP work you'll be doing to ensure you're eating enough.

Tom's advice is sound. I'd add in some retraction work too like face pulls, pull aparts, and ensuring you're doing a fair amount of rows/pullups/chinups too.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Wannabebig Member
    cheers guys thanks for the advice
    dont worry about nutrition got a pretty solid idea of what im going to be doing food wise. Im probably gonna stay away from isolated exercises to more functional ones as i hear that doing a lot of thos kind of exercises can lead to injuries in a multifunctional sport like rugby. been getting a lot of tips from elliot hulse and his strength camp videos

Take a look at jim wendlers 5/3/1 routine, its a routine based around the multi joint movements and getting strong. Even better may be the 5/3/1 for football (american so very similar to rugby in certain senses)
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Wannabebig Member
    Agree with what's stated above, the 5/3/1 recommendation is good, takes care of your programming for you and is basic and effective. Drive up your squat, pull, press, and throw in some chins and rows and you're strong all over. Olympic lifting is great for displaying strength and explosiveness, but for building it, in my opinion the powerlifts are superior. Limit strength is your base, widen it and the potential for all types of strength (strength-speed, speed-strength, strength endurance) goes up. Just don't forget that strength training is GPP for your sport.