Thread: Insomnia & melatonin

Wannabebig Member

Insomnia & melatonin

Hello, not sure if this is the right section so feel free to move if necessary.

I recently have started sleeping horribly (0-3) hours of sleep per night. Not entirely sure whats causing it. But it's giving me anxiety cause I'm so tired and in return I get even more anxiety because Im worried about the situation so it's kind of a vicious cycle. In any case, I don't have a doctor because recently my PCP has recently past away so I'm in transition of finding a new doctor.

After doing some research I've decided I might give melatonin a try. I'm just hesitant cause I don't really like sleep aids. They make me nervous for some reason. Has anyone here ever used melatonin? If so how many mg's did you take? Is it safe to cut the pills in half to take smaller doses?

Thank you for your time.

dude relax its just melatonin. Your not going to get addicted to it. I think the standard does is like 5mg. Its usually just one pill. And its worked fairly good for me. I dont fall asleep easily so i take it on work nights to help me get to sleep at a decent time.

It's good stuff, you can get it in all types of doses. 2/3/5. Doesn't really matter, just don't take too much, my sisters get it prescribed so I'm always stealing it when I'm struggling to sleep or have a big training week/day coming up. Should knock you out a treat.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I've taken 2-3mg and slept well but felt like I didn't every fully wake back up the next day. Yes you can cut them. Start low.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Wannabebig Member
    I would recommend you to start with plain old milk.

1L before bed...it does the job for me
    Want to handstand like bruce lee ?

www.lostartofhandbalancing.com

Learn How To Do A Handstand !

Banned
    I wouldn't use melatonin. It gives me fucked up dreams. I would recommend L-Tryptophan, Valerian Root or magnesium.

Dr. Subtotal
    If it's not chronic, try chamomile for anxiety and get some lemon balm for your pillow.

Take Rhodes' advice for supplementation. I'm a chronic insomnia guy and he's on the money there.

Also, ensure you're developing good habits around sleeping. Try avoiding all stress late at night, try taking smaller naps during the day, ensure your nutrition is on target, watch your alcohol, caffiene, and tobacco use, and making your room as dark as possible for sleep. These tiny things go a long way to fight restlessness, anxiety, and sleeplessness.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Also nearly everyone that has taken this has reported sleep quality going way up:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/products/ets

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

+ 1 on the valerian root
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you for the input and suggestions everyone. I ultimately did end up taking melatonin and even bought myself some chamomile tea. It seems to be working pretty well. I went 3 days with only 6 hours of sleep total so it really wore me out and with full time school and work I decided to take all of last week off from lifting to allow myself to recover. I did manage to get 6-8 hours of sleep a night all last week though, and I am looking forward to starting up my routine again tomorrow.

Thanks again
    Last edited by bkoman; 09-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.