Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Crossfitters....

Dear Crossfitters....

I saw this posted on the facebook page of the CrossFit gym I go to and it just makes me shake my head. Look, I get that CrossFit WODs can be really tough and you need to be able to push through to finish but just because you have a hard workout now and then does not make you some sort of warrior. Shit like this just gets on my nerves and is the reason CrossFit has a bad rep with a lot of the bodybuilding/power lifting crowd.

I mean, "I fear no man but I fear my workout. If I don't fear my workout. It isn't hard enough." Really? ...Really?

/rant

Morning class at this gym...

ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

There ARE a million ways to deadlift. I see a dozen variations every day. Most of them completely idiotic.

I appreciate the sentiment there and all, but... I'm not sure I'm hardcore enough to even read the full list.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    There ARE a million ways to deadlift. I see a dozen variations every day. Most of them completely idiotic.

I appreciate the sentiment there and all, but... I'm not sure I'm hardcore enough to even read the full list.
    A+

Stuff like this just makes me shake my head. And the fact that people believe yet are hardcore because of their Crossfit workout really need to step back into reality.

I barely drop a single set during my actual workouts (not counting cardio, obviously), yet I look better and am stronger/have more endurance/stamina than many CFers at my gym.

Not trying to hate on CF (even though I hate it), but sweating a lot and feeling sore doesn't mean your workout was productive.

Good God, it is just a piece of paper with motivational writing on it. It was taken from Mike's Gym, which is an Olympic Lifting Gym.

I found the never cheating line funny. Kipping pulling ups and all the reps for time stuff, all those reps are cheating reps... Guess I'm not a hardcore weekend warrior, so I dont understand.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Quote Originally Posted by krazylarry View Post
    I found the never cheating line funny. Kipping pulling ups and all the reps for time stuff, all those reps are cheating reps... Guess I'm not a hardcore weekend warrior, so I dont understand.
    After all of these years, people still make these comments about kipping pullups. You have to be kidding me. There are strict pullups/chinups, weighted pullups, and kipping pullups. The strict and weighted versions are for strength, while the kipping pullups are for conditioning. Similar to pushups and Burpees. The only time either one is wrong is when you do the wrong ones. Doing Strict pullups when doing the Murph would be a dumb idea, just like doing kipping pullups in a workout that called for 3 pullups would be dumb.

Doing Murph in itself is a dumb idea

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Doing Murph in itself is a dumb idea
    LOL. That, I can agree with.

I don't care for that stuff either, but if you do ANY kind of social networking you will see that people love that crap and it is very pervasive in the world today. It is hardly exclusive to CrossFit.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    After all of these years, people still make these comments about kipping pullups. You have to be kidding me. There are strict pullups/chinups, weighted pullups, and kipping pullups. The strict and weighted versions are for strength, while the kipping pullups are for conditioning. Similar to pushups and Burpees. The only time either one is wrong is when you do the wrong ones. Doing Strict pullups when doing the Murph would be a dumb idea, just like doing kipping pullups in a workout that called for 3 pullups would be dumb.
    Doing kipping pullups are a nice way to tear your labrum.

If you want to do conditioning, do jump roping, do a stationary bike, run...

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I don't care for that stuff either, but if you do ANY kind of social networking you will see that people love that crap and it is very pervasive in the world today. It is hardly exclusive to CrossFit.
    This is true. Look at the marketing for P90x...
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post

This is what I've never understood. Sure, kipping pullups might be better for conditioning than strict or weighted pullups, but why even do pullups for conditioning. There are so many less risky ways to do conditioning that are even better than the kipping pullup for the actual goal -- conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post

Sure, if you do them wrong, but then again, you can hurt yourself doing anything if you do it wrong.

As a powerlifter, I do have a sincere hatred for all that is Crossfit. It just doesn't make sense to me personally. I do know a lot of strongmen competitors that are doing it along with their regular training and it is helping them in competition. But here's my official stand on it:

Crossfit to me is like P90X, Insanity, or even the guy that only does upper body work in the gym. Sure, it seems stupid to a lot of us... but at least they're getting their asses off the couch and doing something. Will you ever see me doing any of those things? No. But to each their own, and it's better than shoving their faces full of McD's and watching reality TV.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

I never understand why powerlifters hate CrossFit so much, especially when so many CrossFiters are doing powerlifting based programming. CrossFit has changed so much in the last couple of years. There are so many different versions of it out there, so lumping CrossFit into one huge pot is ignorant.

I never understand why powerlifters hate CrossFit so much, especially when so many CrossFiters are doing powerlifting based programming. CrossFit has changed so much in the last couple of years. There are so many different versions of it out there, so lumping CrossFit into one huge pot is ignorant.
    I just basically said that I think it's cool of them to do what they're doing even thought it's not for me. And you call me ignorant? Nice.
    36 yr old novice PL

Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -

I think you just answered your own question there, buddy. You don't understand why a group of people don't like your sport (which is a generalization I might add) and then call them ignorant (because they make a generalization about you). That pretty much sums it up right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    I just basically said that I think it's cool of them to do what they're doing even thought it's not for me. And you call me ignorant? Nice.
    I never quote you. Sorry if you feel that it was directed at you.

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    I think you just answered your own question there, buddy. You don't understand why a group of people don't like your sport (which is a generalization I might add) and then call them ignorant (because they make a generalization about you). That pretty much sums it up right there.
    Thank you.
    36 yr old novice PL

Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -

I'm basing it on the anti CrossFit comments on this thread and from other powerlifters on other forums. If you aren't one of them, then it obviously doesn't apply to you. There are different sections on this forum for different things. If CrossFit isn't your thing, then don't post here in the CrossFit section. That's how the back and forth crap starts. You don't see me going to the powerlifting or bodybuilding sections starting crap.

Anybody else notice how on the list, #5 and #10 contradict each other?! Lol.
    36 yr old novice PL

Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -

I'm basing it on the anti CrossFit comments on this thread and from other powerlifters on other forums. If you aren't one of them, then it obviously doesn't apply to you. There are different sections on this forum for different things. If CrossFit isn't your thing, then don't post here in the CrossFit section. That's how the back and forth crap starts. You don't see me going to the powerlifting or bodybuilding sections starting crap.
    If you said to me powerlifting is the stupidest thing ever, do you know what I would do. Not care. Why do you feel the need to defend your sport so vehemently? Does it need defending? Are you looking for confirmation from other people? Why do you need to respond to generalizations by making your own generalizations and insulting peoples intelligence?

If you said to me powerlifting is the stupidest thing ever, do you know what I would do. Not care. Why do you feel the need to defend your sport so vehemently? Does it need defending? Are you looking for confirmation from other people? Why do you need to respond to generalizations by making your own generalizations and insulting peoples intelligence?
    How about this? Sorry that I generalized. Can we just get along and stop acting like a bunch of school girls?
    Last edited by Paulo_Santos; 09-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.