The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Try to understand "peaking" for a meet.

I've read multiple times from multiple sites that you can't get stronger but you can get weaker the last couple weeks leading into a meet. So how do you train those last couple weeks so your at your strongest for your meet?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Deload the last week. Hit a single in the 85% range two weeks out. Hit a good double or triple 3 weeks out at 92.5%.-95% that's solid enough for a novice or beginner.
    Last edited by ScottYard; 09-23-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Deload the last week. Hit a single in the 85% range two weeks out. Hit a good double or triple 3 weeks out st 92.5%.-95% that's solid enough for or novice. The beginner.
    Scott, do you and other elite lifters you know generally take a more or less aggressive path?
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

I do something similar to this but it always changes based on how the meet prep has gone. Some guys deload very early(5-6 weeks out) and some guys go heavy all the way up to 5 days out. Its all based on what YOU need.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I start peaking around 3 weeks out. The third week out I keep the main lifts high, but cut down on assistance a little. From two weeks on main lifts are only about 80%. It's a fine line for me to get work in without pushing beyond the limit.

I appreciate the question because I am readjusting my program as a result. I am competing in three weeks. I have a very heavy DE effort bench work for Monday, but had not tapered off my assistance. I will do so now. Also, my ego wants a 585 raw bench on my ME bench this Friday. Instead I am going to go 95%-570 with a pause. I know this will be an easy lift and will set me up for success. The point is not what I lift in the gym, but what I hit in the meet.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

This is an interesting topic to me.. . i tend to beat the crap out of myself going into a meet.. I'll hit up to 2nd attempts (which should be a 5-10 lb meet PR) 3-4 weeks out (deadlifts are usually 4 weeks to allow for recovery, bench and squat are 3 weeks out), then at 2 weeks out come back and work up to opener. I'll do opener for 1, maybe 2 singles that week on all 3 lifts. During that week I want lifts that are without a doubt clean on those opening attmepts. My wife is the judge and jury on that one, and if she redlights me on the first time I try the opener, I'll do it again. if she gives me an OK on the opener attempt, it feels easy, and I'm feeling beat up, I just shut it down and do light accessory work. The week before a meet, I'm at the point where I need the week off if its been a good meet prep. I'm feeling beat to crap and need to just rest (I consider this to be the supercompensation phase it is just a bit different than a traditional circamax). I generally won't squat, bench or deadlift theweek before a meet, but as I've gotten stronger, I've learned there is a need to do some sort of mobility work.. drag the sled, walk, light GHR/reverse hyper, etc... Otherwise I'm so tight I cant move come meet day.

I think a novice lifter needs to back off a little differently.. hitting openers even 3 weeks out to allow for full recovery, but it really depends on the individual lifters.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

I'm so glad you guys chimed in here and in the thread I started with such great advice. So many routines have you beating yourself up with 95-100% singles or doubles the week before meet week. I wonder how many guys left it all in the gym as a result.

Also glad some of you touched on assistance work. That was going to be my next question.
    Last edited by UncleAl; 09-23-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

Wannabebig Member
    I'm learning how to tune my training, I just did a small meet and missed weights that I hit in training! I trained balls out than deloaded week before and the weights felt a little heavy at the meet.
    Thanks for all the replys.

I deload similar to Vincent. about 3 weeks out I start dialing things back a little. Accessory work goes back first.

The week before I spend every day going through a short 30min rehab and stretching workout. If I do nothing I find that I go into the meet feeling sluggish and lazy.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Dr. Subtotal
    Hunt down the "Periodization" series on EFS, although most of the images aren't uploaded or read the following one.

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...periodization/

To enforce the main point though:

Either way, ultimately, your only priority during those weeks is your three competition lifts and getting your body rested to lift the most weight on meet day. You're not running a Prowler contest or doing a close grip incline or Good Morning meet. Use these lifts as a means to an end and be aware of when to back them off.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I set up my 3 week wave ( light, med/reps, heavy) to be heavy the day of a meet. I've had good success peaking two different ways, either one is okay depending on how beat up you are feeling.

Option one has me hitting something within 5% of an opener the week before the meet and going very light 2 weeks out.
    Option two has me hitting an opener then a 2nd attempt with reverse bands at two weeks out then going 50% at most the week before the meet.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!