Thread: Heavy Sled Drags? Or Lighter Sled Sprints? Which Is BETTER For Sprint Acceleration?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Heavy Sled Drags? Or Lighter Sled Sprints? Which Is BETTER For Sprint Acceleration?

I'm looking for opinions. I've read Joe Defranco & others on how Heavy A## Sled Drags make you faster. Then, I've seen several scientific studies say that you should use 10-15% of your bodyweight for short sled sprints for 15-20 yards. In my mind, here's how I should employ each technique. 1.) Defranco- 1A: Heavy Sled Drags, 5 x 10 yards. 1B: Sprint, 5 x 10 yards. 2 minutes rest between drags and sprints to promote full recovery. 2.) 1A: Sled Sprints(using 10-15% of BW) 5 x 15-20 yards 1B: Sprints, 5 x 15-20 yards. 2 minutes rest to promote recovery. Ok guys, from your personal experience which is better for sprint acceleration(10-20 yards)? #1 or #2?

Wannabebig Member
    By the way, I'm training a group of middle to high school athletes for football. The heavy sled drags will be done like this using a belt, instead of holding straps behind the back like Joe D reccomends. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6wPhjz7qIo

My stance is that you don't want to sprint against resistance because you can perturb form. Use the sled to build strength and then actual sprinting technique work to build form and to translate the increased strength to the sport specific movement.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    My stance is that you don't want to sprint against resistance because you can perturb form. Use the sled to build strength and then actual sprinting technique work to build form and to translate the increased strength to the sport specific movement.
    So, #1?

Not necessarily. You don't need to alternate them with sprints for them to be effective.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Not necessarily. You don't need to alternate them with sprints for them to be effective.
    Ok. What do you think about this template? It seems pretty sound to include a strength exercise with a power exercise especially for athletes. http://www.rawstrength.co.uk/speed-kills-2/