Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really unsure if I should bulk or cut at this point in the scheme of things

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff31 View Post
    A 405 deadlift is still a beginner, I watch approx. 185lb high school athletes pull much more than that everyday. Now a 405 as a freshman in college isn't a terrible pull (much more than I could do back then) but it is hardly above average for athletes (especially football).
    But I wasn't weak enough to where I still had "noob gains" to make. I had already made my noob gains long ago.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    This is starting to sound like a bodybuilding thread..... LOL
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    I can safely say that I am much stronger at 210 pounds than I was at 295 pounds a year ago.
    That doesn't mean anything to me. You were probably a fat slob with little lifting experience. If you got back up to 295 and you weren't DRASTICALLY stronger I'd say your training sucks. Mass moves mass, despite what you think. MAss moves mass. Period!

But I wasn't weak enough to where I still had "noob gains" to make. I had already made my noob gains long ago.
    At 295 you were deadlifting 405, if you think you were done with "noob gains" you were not training very hard to begin with, or training very smart.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    What if I already got fat, and need to drop 40 lbs of fat? could I do a quick cut? I think i will for a month or so, but I am really sick of these longer cuts because it keeps me from getting stronger and takes too much time, seems like such a waste.
    If you want to cut, go ahead. i really don't care. I would rather stay big, lift heavier weights, which absolutely will build bigger muscles. As you gain muscle your fat burning will increase. I'd rather get big and burn fat because I'm muscular.

Banned
    That's false. I've been making more gains than I ever have while on a cut, while training fasted, AND while on low-carb. Obviously, that's just one person, but you CAN make strength gains on a cut. If you couldn't, then I have no idea how my deadlift went up 100 pounds while cutting 80 pounds...
    What was your deadlift when you started? If you're weak when you start, no matter what you do, you'll get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    What was your deadlift when you started? If you're weak when you start, no matter what you do, you'll get stronger.
    It was 405, which is weak, but not weak enough to where I'd consider myself a "beginner". My bench was also 385 at the time and that also went up, and 385 obviously isn't a "beginner".

Eat more, lift more, tan often!!
    JACKED&TAN!!!
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Here is my take:

Your body fat is too high based on the percentage you reported. You are not very strong for your body weight which further reinforces the idea you are too fat.

I think we are dealing with multiple issues. First, I think your training template is probably not the best.

Next, yes, when you lose a significant amount of body fat you will lose some strength, but once you stabilize you can rebuild that strength without the addition of a lot of body fat.

Do you take any supplements?

I suggest you get down to around 200 lbs. Once you are there, up your caloric intake slightly to stabilize your body weight and then begin a systematic increase in calories while checking BF weekly and making adjustments as needed to mitigate fat gain. Switch to a Westside template and I think you will solve your dilemma.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Here is my take:

Your body fat is too high based on the percentage you reported. You are not very strong for your body weight which further reinforces the idea you are too fat.

I think we are dealing with multiple issues. First, I think your training template is probably not the best.

Next, yes, when you lose a significant amount of body fat you will lose some strength, but once you stabilize you can rebuild that strength without the addition of a lot of body fat.

Do you take any supplements?

I suggest you get down to around 200 lbs. Once you are there, up your caloric intake slightly to stabilize your body weight and then begin a systematic increase in calories while checking BF weekly and making adjustments as needed to mitigate fat gain. Switch to a Westside template and I think you will solve your dilemma.
    Thanks, I think this approach is the most well rounded and I have started losing weight, I think you nailed it on the head personally. I know it's first week so it happens fast, but down 6 lbs. Supplements are creatine, protein when needed. Vitamin D3.

Do you think I'm ready for Westside? I tried using a westside template a few years ago, made great S/DL gains for a long time, bench struggled to improve, speed bench didn't seem to be productive for me and it turned into doing 5 reps with just the bar, which is what allowed my bench to go to where it is now. But I always thought it was because I was too much a beginner and weak for westside to really work and would benefit from a more basic program. Right now I do have ME days but they are spread out further for recovery. and fill is done with 5 reps on lifts without bands or other changes.

One thing I am wondering is how to handle my training during the cut. Keep ME movements in or toss? Change to a completely different routine? Keep speed work in for lower body? Lowest number of reps 5? start doing more 8-12 rep range on main compounds? Could change a lot of things, but I need to preserve strength, as well as muscle mass.

Last week I had a speed lower day, an upper day with basically 5x5 bench and accesory in higher rep range at a slight reduction in weight of my top set, then a ME squat which was at end of week and significantly lower weight than normal. Did tire flips and sledge swings, a body weight circuit all out for almost 20 minutes including burpees, ring rows, and push ups, and large amounts of activity including a few miles of walk in tough terrain with gear, rebuilding a third of my deck, chasing my daughter around, and lots of household work, managed to keep things physical at home and work.