The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

The "tell me how the hell to fix my garbage body" thread

I've about had it with my injuries and whatever the fuck else is wrong with me. To start:

1. My knees. I am going to get a video this week of some lighter weights and I need to make sure my form is still decent enough and not causing the pain. It's pissing me off because my knees don't bother me any other time like they used to (running up stairs two or three at a time, bodyweight squats etc.) but any time I put ANY weight on my back, I have sharp pains in both of them.

2. I think I strained my left pec benching a month or two back and it's still giving me issues right where it connects to my shoulder. What the hell can I do to help speed up recovery for this? I've taken weeks off from any chest movements and tried ice, but once I came back and starting working back up to over 300lbs in a 5x5 it started bothering me again. It's discomforting enough to where I stop because I'm afraid I'm actually going to tear something.

3. Not really something anyone here can help me with, but it's been the biggest issue I've had for the past year or so, and part of the reason I stopped posting. My motivation has been pretty low because I can't eat at all like I used to, I get full after a few bites of food, bloated, feel sick, etc. I think I have an umbilical hernia but I don't know if that could cause any of this or if it's something else. I had to find a new doctor because the last moron just kept taking my blood, then losing results or telling me he had no record of my last visits, but I haven't given the new one a call yet.

So this is just kind of a rant thread. My lifts have been stagnant for what seems to be forever, I can work back up to my old numbers and then something makes me stop to recover and it's a never ending cycle. I guess I should be happy they are what they are given all that's wrong with me at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the first two? I guess squatting suggestions will have to wait until I get a video up, but the chest is really annoying the shit out of me.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1. I would check out Kiaran's journal "RIDDLE OF IRON" in the journal section. Check one of his latest posts. He actually just described a fix he's been having for sharp pain in his knee. Assumes it's the IT band. Basically involves foam rolling the fcuk out of it. Worth a shot to try.

2. All I can say for this is stretch like hell and ice. Grab some 60 lb DB's or whatever and lay on a bench like you're DB pressing. Get into the negative position and just let them fuckers stretch your pecs and front delts to oblivion. Breathe controlled and deep breaths. Focus on stretching your pecs and sinking those DB's everytime you breathe out. Will hurt like mad after 30-40 seconds but hold it as long as you can. Static stretching heals microtears in muscle fibres. You know that. Do some other stretches that you think help as well - consider using a stick and do dislocates, those stretch my shoulders/pec connection pretty good. Ice afterwards.

3. Dunno bout this bruh. See a new doc ASAP. I'm sure the hernia in your stomach area isn't helping anything.
    Last edited by jed2009; 09-26-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    21 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 213
    Current PR's - Deadlift 319 | Full Chins 34 | 1 Mile - 7:20 | 1.5 mile - 11:55 (Tread)| 2 mile - 17:55
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    Journal...

How long has the stomach issue been going on? I was dealing with something similar for several months earlier this year and by the time I got in to see the doctor, I ended up spending 5 weeks in the hospital and almost died from pancreatitis! I ended up losing over 60 lbs, missed the PL meet I had trained all year for and still have issues with it now... three months later. Find a new doc or even go to urgent care, they won't lose the results because they will have them within an hour. Good luck.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

I had a shoulder/pec issue similar to that a few years ago. though it actually started in my shoulder and worked its way in to my pec as I continued working through it. I eventually quit any pressing movements and saw a doc and he said nothing was actually torn but "over used/stretched" some thing like that. He suggested some rehab which IMO was a waste of time/money. After laying off for ~9 months I thought I was good to go but same thing happened, started getting some pain/numbness in my shoulder. Through experimentation I found that I can use DBs instead of BB for benching with out having issues, so thats what I've been doing for the last few months. I also use a lacrosse ball along with general stretching to warm up my delts..seems to have helped a lot. Check out mobilitywod.com..they have a lot of useful tips and tricks!

God I suck at this forum thing now, forgot I posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by jed2009 View Post
    1. I would check out Kiaran's journal "RIDDLE OF IRON" in the journal section. Check one of his latest posts. He actually just described a fix he's been having for sharp pain in his knee. Assumes it's the IT band. Basically involves foam rolling the fcuk out of it. Worth a shot to try.

2. All I can say for this is stretch like hell and ice. Grab some 60 lb DB's or whatever and lay on a bench like you're DB pressing. Get into the negative position and just let them fuckers stretch your pecs and front delts to oblivion. Breathe controlled and deep breaths. Focus on stretching your pecs and sinking those DB's everytime you breathe out. Will hurt like mad after 30-40 seconds but hold it as long as you can. Static stretching heals microtears in muscle fibres. You know that. Do some other stretches that you think help as well - consider using a stick and do dislocates, those stretch my shoulders/pec connection pretty good. Ice afterwards.

3. Dunno bout this bruh. See a new doc ASAP. I'm sure the hernia in your stomach area isn't helping anything.

Thanks for the suggestion on the pec stretching/icing, I didn't even think of that. After the first time doing that I noticed an improvement the following week, very little discomfort. I did it again last week and last night felt about 98% better. I did one more stretch after my workout last night, and hopefully I'll be good on that front now.

Haven't gotten a chance to get a foam roller yet, but I did pinpoint my knee pain I think. Last time I tried squatting it was only in my left knee oddly enough, the right one felt fine. From what I remember, if I stood with a little bit of weight on my left leg and "rolled" my kneecap up and down, I'd feel a slightly sharp pain in the tendon above the kneecap if I pushed. During the "rolling" I also had general discomfort.

I tried different stances and whatnot, some seemed a little better but the thing that helped the most was putting some weight on the balls of my feet, which is very odd. I'll try again in two days and see if the same thing is happening so I can better describe it.

Now on top of all this, I jacked my back up somehow. Lower back feels like it needs good crack, certain ways I arch it hurts like hell. I benched fine last night and I have a huge arch in that, so go figure. I noticed it on Wednesday of last week, I was fine benching and deadlifting before that. The only thing I did different was hang from my pullup bars and relax my spine and let it kind of stretch, I thought that was the culprit but this definitely feels like it's something bone related.

I need a new body.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    How long has the stomach issue been going on? I was dealing with something similar for several months earlier this year and by the time I got in to see the doctor, I ended up spending 5 weeks in the hospital and almost died from pancreatitis! I ended up losing over 60 lbs, missed the PL meet I had trained all year for and still have issues with it now... three months later. Find a new doc or even go to urgent care, they won't lose the results because they will have them within an hour. Good luck.
    Months and months. I have an appointment scheduled for next Wednesday at a new doctor, so I'm starting from scratch and explaining everything from the time I was 130lbs to where I am now. Also bringing a copy of my last blood workup.

Thanks for the help guys. Lately it's been an endless battle of getting hurt, working my way back up to old numbers, getting hurt, working my way back up etc. Getting pretty sick of it all.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Went to the new doctor last week. I have a small umbilical hernia that I'll want to get fixed eventually, but first I'm getting an EGD done so they can look at my stomach as see what the hell is going on. He said it's also possible that I have a hiatal hernia, basically he either said or is doing everything I brought up to the other moron who dismissed my concerns, so I'm kind of relieved about that.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Take some time off. Get your hernia and other issue resolved. You are suffering the linear progression/power bodybuilding training blues. When you repeat the same movements over and over with a relatively high degree of intensity and less than perfect form (perfect relative to protecting your joints etc.) you will eventually begin to breakdown just as you are.

Take some time off and in the interim get some of Louie Simmons' books from Westside. When you are ready to return to strength training follow a Westside protocol and you will not experience these issues. The ME conjugate rotation and rotation of assistance exercises will help you to avoid the joint and connective tissue wear and tear issues you are now experiencing.

Oh, and box squats will resolve your knee concerns.
    Last edited by chris mason; 10-27-2012 at 09:12 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I would get your issues fixed and take a considerable time off. Dont stress about the little stuff. I had back problems and a knee problem and a shoulder problem and then ripped my groin and took about a year off and train differently now and feel much better. And like Chris suggested research some ways on injury prevention.
    Last edited by rover64dd; 10-29-2012 at 09:04 PM.