Thread: Help Breaking Through Strength Plateaus..

Help Breaking Through Strength Plateaus..

I am curious what do you guys do when this happens to you?

In certain exercises I really really feel like I am starting to plateau and its really pissed me off. I dont know how to break through it. Other than just be consistent and keep working hard etc. For example dips I am right around +140 lbs. and I can get 3 reps with that weight.

I dont feel like Ill be able to get past 145-150 lbs. in the next 6 months. What do you guys think? Another exercise is flat BB presses, and BB curls, etc. What do you guys think?

MS

1) Drugs

or

2) Start using WSB or a similar approach

or

3) You know what #3 is :-)

Wannabebig Member
    bulking, whenever i bulk the increase in bw also the additional food i always gain strength very very easily. it seems like i always see your diet plans and you have been cutting for like the last year it seems like, your always eating a deficit in cals 11- 12 X bw and using some cutting supp, if you start bulking u will gain muscle as well as strenght much more easily IMO.
    "Some people dream of success....others wake up every day and work hard to achieve it."

The truth is that you're a pretty strong guy, and the stronger you get, the longer it may take for you to make gains. I usually look at my routine and decide whether I should change it up or change up my exercises. When it comes to strength plateaus, it's kinda like a diet plateau, everybody's body works a different way, so you have to figure out what your body needs. Maybe it needs more food, I really don't know.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Originally posted by 110%
    bulking, whenever i bulk the increase in bw also the additional food i always gain strength very very easily. it seems like i always see your diet plans and you have been cutting for like the last year it seems like, your always eating a deficit in cals 11- 12 X bw and using some cutting supp, if you start bulking u will gain muscle as well as strenght much more easily IMO.
    :withstupi

I didn't know you were cutting, I'd have to guess he just answered your question. Never worry about strength while trying to cut, only worry about maintaining it. I haven't gained any strength in a long time, people think, oh, you don't know what you're doing, but you can't try to cut and get strong at the same time, it's a waste of time.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Good posts guys. Well see how things go. I am refeeding twice a week which is a SH!TLOAD of incoming calories which in turn I think helps out a lot with strength gains.

MS

Parting the Red Sea would be easier than getting Monstar to stop dieting.

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    Parting the Red Sea would be easier than getting Monstar to stop dieting.
    Thats the truth. Well I am not at the bf% I want to be.

MS

But Monstar, there is more than one way to get to your target BF% - if you start gaining LM, your BF% will go down. Maybe it's time to attack things from a different angle.

Bespoke Super Mod
    You've been dieting for way too long imo, as Marshall said time to change things up and you should start gaining at around 1lb per week, you should see your strength go up nicely.

Stop faffing around and eat to gain.
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

The diet that I am currently following though guys is FAR from a cutting diet.

Its a diet designed for LBM gain, while gradually dropping a little bit of fat. My weight hasnt dropped at all, if anything its been increasing. Yesterday I gained 2-3 lbs. somehow. Kind of strange but thats how I know this diet isnt a cutting diet.

If it was a straight up cutting my strength wouldnt continually increase from workout to workout.

MS

What is a cutting diet?

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    What is a cutting diet?
    I would say a diet that is specifically designed to burn off bodyfat. With regardless to strength and everything like that. For example a ketogenic diet.

MS

Anytime you eat below maintenance calories, you are in essence "cutting", and eating in a way that your body will burn bodyfat. From reading your journal, you seem to do this on a regular basis, so I don't know how your diet is "FAR from a cutting diet".