Thread: breifs for a raw lifter?

breifs for a raw lifter?

i have no idea about PL gear, im just looking for something to use in training. but theres so many to choose from i dont know which ones would be right for me...any help?

Are your hips sore? Personally I would figure out why they are beat up and up the mobility, soft tissue, and recovery work. If you are just looking for a away to overload things chains and reverse bands would be better. Briefs will change your technique and mess up your free squat form wise.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

thanks for your reply scott. no my hips are totally fine, i just herd mark bell recommending raw lifters getting into breifs, and the benefits being injury prevention and being able to overload the body... yes i have bands but no chains yet. unfortunately i train alone most of the time so i have to rely on the internet when i need help with something...

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Get power pants from inzer. They are minimalist briefs and they will not alter your raw squat form. They have helped my raw squat tremendously.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

great. im checking them out just now. how would you suggest i incorporate them into my training???

Banned
    I'm with Scott. I wouldn't use briefs if you're a raw lifter.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    I'm with Scott. I wouldn't use briefs if you're a raw lifter.
    Same here. As a raw lifter I don't even use wraps or a belt. I wanna make sure my "RAW" strength is just that... raw. Sure, things like briefs and the Slignshot can help you with being able to overload, but they can also put you at risk of injury from not being use to handling that type of weight. To the OP, if I was you I wlould take the money that you would spend on the briefs and use it towards some good strength training books. You'll get a lot more outta those.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    great. im checking them out just now. how would you suggest i incorporate them into my training???
    Like the others have said, I'd lean on most of your training to revolve around raw lifts. Using something like power pants once in a while on a Max Effort day or for a cycle of dynamic effort work won't be the end of the world.

If you do get power pants and are using them just for training purposes make sure you either call them for sizing and tell them your intent (just for training, easy to put on) OR go 2-4 sizes larger. If you get the competition size for you, you'll be spending 10 minutes or more getting them on.

Dr. Subtotal
    IF you have bands and want to overload, reverse band work is an option as long as the groove of your lifts does not change.

That said, best not to complicate your training if you're making progress. As long as you're doing mobility work, stretching, training smart, and avoiding dumb things in the weightroom, injury prevention shouldn't be an issue.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Reverse band might be a better option, but if you are set to get in to a pair of briefs to play around with try to find an old pair of Frantz or Crain briefs..... they are supportive, but won't mess up your form at all.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

since most are against the idea i think i will forget about the breifs for now. im still making progress so no need to change anything i guess.
    thanks for all the comments

Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    since most are against the idea i think i will forget about the breifs for now. im still making progress so no need to change anything i guess.
    thanks for all the comments
    If its not broken then dont fix it. This is especially true in the gym. I find my self trying new things all the time over the years and I typically I always go back to the tried and true simple things Ive done for years.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

As long as your hips are healthy and you are not having hip pain from training you're probably better off staying out of them. At the point where you get older or just have problems start in the hips then I'd recommend using them to give the hips a break as needed. At my age and the condition of my hips I don't train heavy squats without breifs. For raw meets I just try my planned opener without them to make sure I'm good at that weight maybe a couple of weeks out. As your career evolves and you stay in it long enough you do what you have to do to continue competing. So, as stated; until it's broke no need to worry about fixing it. As much as you can, train like you compete is a good rule of thumb. I trained without any gear for about 20 years.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)