Thread: Try to understand "peaking" for a meet.

Wannabebig Member

Try to understand "peaking" for a meet.

I've read multiple times from multiple sites that you can't get stronger but you can get weaker the last couple weeks leading into a meet. So how do you train those last couple weeks so your at your strongest for your meet?

Deload the last week. Hit a single in the 85% range two weeks out. Hit a good double or triple 3 weeks out at 92.5%.-95% that's solid enough for a novice or beginner.
    Last edited by ScottYard; 09-23-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Deload the last week. Hit a single in the 85% range two weeks out. Hit a good double or triple 3 weeks out st 92.5%.-95% that's solid enough for or novice. The beginner.
    Scott, do you and other elite lifters you know generally take a more or less aggressive path?
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

I do something similar to this but it always changes based on how the meet prep has gone. Some guys deload very early(5-6 weeks out) and some guys go heavy all the way up to 5 days out. Its all based on what YOU need.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I start peaking around 3 weeks out. The third week out I keep the main lifts high, but cut down on assistance a little. From two weeks on main lifts are only about 80%. It's a fine line for me to get work in without pushing beyond the limit.

I appreciate the question because I am readjusting my program as a result. I am competing in three weeks. I have a very heavy DE effort bench work for Monday, but had not tapered off my assistance. I will do so now. Also, my ego wants a 585 raw bench on my ME bench this Friday. Instead I am going to go 95%-570 with a pause. I know this will be an easy lift and will set me up for success. The point is not what I lift in the gym, but what I hit in the meet.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

This is an interesting topic to me.. . i tend to beat the crap out of myself going into a meet.. I'll hit up to 2nd attempts (which should be a 5-10 lb meet PR) 3-4 weeks out (deadlifts are usually 4 weeks to allow for recovery, bench and squat are 3 weeks out), then at 2 weeks out come back and work up to opener. I'll do opener for 1, maybe 2 singles that week on all 3 lifts. During that week I want lifts that are without a doubt clean on those opening attmepts. My wife is the judge and jury on that one, and if she redlights me on the first time I try the opener, I'll do it again. if she gives me an OK on the opener attempt, it feels easy, and I'm feeling beat up, I just shut it down and do light accessory work. The week before a meet, I'm at the point where I need the week off if its been a good meet prep. I'm feeling beat to crap and need to just rest (I consider this to be the supercompensation phase it is just a bit different than a traditional circamax). I generally won't squat, bench or deadlift theweek before a meet, but as I've gotten stronger, I've learned there is a need to do some sort of mobility work.. drag the sled, walk, light GHR/reverse hyper, etc... Otherwise I'm so tight I cant move come meet day.

I think a novice lifter needs to back off a little differently.. hitting openers even 3 weeks out to allow for full recovery, but it really depends on the individual lifters.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

I'm so glad you guys chimed in here and in the thread I started with such great advice. So many routines have you beating yourself up with 95-100% singles or doubles the week before meet week. I wonder how many guys left it all in the gym as a result.

Also glad some of you touched on assistance work. That was going to be my next question.
    Last edited by UncleAl; 09-23-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

Wannabebig Member
    I'm learning how to tune my training, I just did a small meet and missed weights that I hit in training! I trained balls out than deloaded week before and the weights felt a little heavy at the meet.
    Thanks for all the replys.

I deload similar to Vincent. about 3 weeks out I start dialing things back a little. Accessory work goes back first.

The week before I spend every day going through a short 30min rehab and stretching workout. If I do nothing I find that I go into the meet feeling sluggish and lazy.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Dr. Subtotal
    Hunt down the "Periodization" series on EFS, although most of the images aren't uploaded or read the following one.

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...periodization/

To enforce the main point though:

Either way, ultimately, your only priority during those weeks is your three competition lifts and getting your body rested to lift the most weight on meet day. You're not running a Prowler contest or doing a close grip incline or Good Morning meet. Use these lifts as a means to an end and be aware of when to back them off.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I set up my 3 week wave ( light, med/reps, heavy) to be heavy the day of a meet. I've had good success peaking two different ways, either one is okay depending on how beat up you are feeling.

Option one has me hitting something within 5% of an opener the week before the meet and going very light 2 weeks out.
    Option two has me hitting an opener then a 2nd attempt with reverse bands at two weeks out then going 50% at most the week before the meet.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!