The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    39

    Lost 40 lbs but have plateaued, opinions please

    Hey guys. I've been on a 2600 cal a day diet since Feb. and log absolutely everything I put in my body with fatsecret.com's phone app and use a food scale to measure out when needed. I lost most the weight at a fairly steady ~2 lbs a week. The last few months though, I've absolutely plateaued.

    For exercise, some days my job involves all day at a desk, other days I am walking and up and down stairs for 6-8 hours a day. I also do a weightlifting program similar to HCT-12 3 days a week and usually run sprints or do the elliptical 2 days a week if I have too many days at the desk.

    I'm a 35 year old male, 6'3" barefoot, started at 303 lbs. My weight now varies between 261-265 the past few of months and will NOT get lower. I've tried some cheat days here and there and have even taken a couple entire weekends to cheat. Trying to raise my metabolism. I'm a life long drug free guy, no prohormones, steroids or anything else like that, ever. Supplements include a multi, fish oil, Nitrean+, and Results.

    I was thinking of going to a 2900-3000 cal a day diet for a month to see if that helps any, then maybe drop it back down to 2600 cals to try to lose more weight? Just want your thoughts on how to lose the last 10-15 lbs and reach the 250-255 range. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

    If you are able to see these pages, here are my weight loss chart and food diary. Days with unlisted cals were cheat days and days with very low cals, I had a cheat meal for dinner. I never drink ANY calories:
    http://www.fatsecret.com/Default.asp...emh&id=3410752
    http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=mdcs
    Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 09-27-2012 at 12:18 PM.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    University at Albany
    Posts
    2,514
    I don't do well with math and all the calculations and all the fitday charts etc...

    Look at a few things:

    1. I hope you got your body fat checked when you started. You probably gained a good amount of muscle, which is great!

    2. I would look into a 5/3/1 program - Boring But Big or the 100 rep challenge. When you start lifting any program will work, especially if you're out of shape. As you get in better shape, the easy workouts will just stop working. Start lifting some heavy ass weights and doing some reall conditioning. Not cardio - conditioning.

    3. Pants/shirt sizes. Are they going down? if so, don't worry about your weight. You're changing your body. The scale isn't a great indication of progress all the time. If you look like you're 240, but you're 260, that's fucking awesome!

    Try to get out of the mindset that you need to lose weight. Think about recomposition and pant/shirt sizes, think about getting really fucking strong! Progress can be measured in many ways and the scale is the worst of them all.

    Keep after, bro!

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    I don't do well with math and all the calculations and all the fitday charts etc...

    Look at a few things:

    1. I hope you got your body fat checked when you started. You probably gained a good amount of muscle, which is great!

    2. I would look into a 5/3/1 program - Boring But Big or the 100 rep challenge. When you start lifting any program will work, especially if you're out of shape. As you get in better shape, the easy workouts will just stop working. Start lifting some heavy ass weights and doing some reall conditioning. Not cardio - conditioning.

    3. Pants/shirt sizes. Are they going down? if so, don't worry about your weight. You're changing your body. The scale isn't a great indication of progress all the time. If you look like you're 240, but you're 260, that's fucking awesome!

    Try to get out of the mindset that you need to lose weight. Think about recomposition and pant/shirt sizes, think about getting really fucking strong! Progress can be measured in many ways and the scale is the worst of them all.

    Keep after, bro!


    Thanks man, but I hope it didn't sound like I just started lifting, I just started finally watching my diet. I've been lifting for over 20 years. In fact, I've lost quite a bit of strength so far. My bench has gone from a 470 1 rep max to about 405. All my lifts are pretty down.
    Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 09-28-2012 at 07:53 AM.

  5. #4
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
    All my lifts are pretty down.
    Spend 8 weeks at maintenance cals and try to regain your previous strength levels. Given your current bodyfat levels and the fact that you'd be regaining lean tissue there is an opportunity to do some major recomposing.

    This time spent at maintenance cals will restore your production of thyroid hormones and this combined with the lean tissue regained will dramatically increase your resting metabolic rate.

    Then when you go back to cutting you will be burning a ton more calories.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    Spend 8 weeks at maintenance cals and try to regain your previous strength levels. Given your current bodyfat levels and the fact that you'd be regaining lean tissue there is an opportunity to do some major recomposing.

    This time spent at maintenance cals will restore your production of thyroid hormones and this combined with the lean tissue regained will dramatically increase your resting metabolic rate.

    Then when you go back to cutting you will be burning a ton more calories.
    Wow, 8 weeks? Thanks man, I will give it a try. You recommend 2900-3000 cals a day? Should I gradually work my way up from 2600 or just go ahead and jump up all at once?
    Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 09-28-2012 at 11:39 AM.

  7. #6
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Definitely ratchet up the calories gradually.

    ps: Congrats on the weight loss so far...that and owning a 400+ bench. Both are tremendous accomplishments.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  8. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    Definitely ratchet up the calories gradually.

    ps: Congrats on the weight loss so far...that and owning a 400+ bench. Both are tremendous accomplishments.

    Thanks. The weight loss is the hardest part. I've had over a 400 raw bench since I was a teenager. 500 raw was always my goal, just never seemed to be able to break the 470 mark, which I hit several times.

  9. #8
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
    the 470 mark, which I hit several times.
    That's absolutely sick dude. Now that you're applying that same focus to weight loss I'm sure you'll continue to get it done.
    Last edited by Holto; 09-28-2012 at 03:37 PM.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  10. #9
    Senior Member Jonathan E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    I don't do well with math and all the calculations and all the fitday charts etc...

    Look at a few things:

    1. I hope you got your body fat checked when you started. You probably gained a good amount of muscle, which is great!

    2. I would look into a 5/3/1 program - Boring But Big or the 100 rep challenge. When you start lifting any program will work, especially if you're out of shape. As you get in better shape, the easy workouts will just stop working. Start lifting some heavy ass weights and doing some reall conditioning. Not cardio - conditioning.

    3. Pants/shirt sizes. Are they going down? if so, don't worry about your weight. You're changing your body. The scale isn't a great indication of progress all the time. If you look like you're 240, but you're 260, that's fucking awesome!

    Try to get out of the mindset that you need to lose weight. Think about recomposition and pant/shirt sizes, think about getting really fucking strong! Progress can be measured in many ways and the scale is the worst of them all.

    Keep after, bro!
    This. And what Holto said about the maintenance cals for a handful of weeks. I think you'll get some strength back with a better thing than hct-12, which, probably only works significantly if your eating a surplus of calories. (With my experience way back before I got on the right program for me)
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

    Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

    "All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 09:07 AM
  2. Lost weight lost body mass too normal or not
    By ferjonathan in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
  3. Lost 80lbs. pics at 6'2 220. lost of work ahead..
    By Natty_Lftr in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 02:44 PM
  4. My routine has plateaued!!! Help!!!
    By Ken Masters in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 07:37 AM
  5. plateaued!
    By Podium Kreatin in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 07:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •