Thread: Need advice from experienced DL'ers - 6 weeks out pulled/strained a muscle in back

Hybrid View

Need advice from experienced DL'ers - 6 weeks out pulled/strained a muscle in back

My deadlifts have been going exceptionally well this training cycle. Last week I worked up to 700 for a single which is what I'm planning on opening my deadlift with in 6 weeks. I wanted to work in some rack pulls to work on my lockout and went up to 800 pounds and done it no problem but ever since then I have had a strain feel in my back right under my lat. This week I deloaded and only went up to 405 and my back still feels like crap. So I'm looking for advice with 6 weeks out should I take a week, maybe 2 off from deadlift and then come back 4 weeks out and go maybe 80% or so to see how it feels? I plan on putting some heat to it after work this evening. I have really high hopes of an 800+pull the way my training has been going and this setback is driving me nuts. Coincidentally I have a video of the DL session I am referring to. Towards the end of the video you can see my expression after the rack pull that I knew something wasn't right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqiI0-myc4E&feature=plcp
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

-Search your glutes and pirformis for big ass knots and roll them out with a lacrosse ball.
    -Foam roll every day.
    -Traction your lower back with bands (see below)
    -Loosen up back with RH if you have one
    - NSAIDs if your stomach can tolerate them
    -Don't pull anything too heavy for next few weeks then pull your opener and second attempt 2-3 weeks out, dont pull anything except light speed work any closer to the meet.
    - Also take it easy with squatting the next few weeks. Save it for the meet.
    - Go to meet and PR
    - Take that 560 raw bench and shove it up your ass, I hate you

Band Traction - Lower Back
    I have a 7 foot rack. The bands below work for a 275-308er.
    1. Tack two green banss and place one inside the other
    2. Double them over the top of the rack along the center of one of the cross bars.
    3. Take two blues and place one inside the other
    4. single loop the blues around the four ends of the greens. (It will make a giant knot in the band. Another way to put it would be to imagine you are setting up bands around the base of a mono, except that you have two blues together and the base is the double loops of the green bands - probably a terrible explanation)
    5. Try and get your fat ass inside the blue bands.
    6. Place the blue bands on lower back where pain is
    7. Lean back until you are on the ground, with the bands tractioning your back towards the top of rack. Depending on the tension you may want to hold onto rack as you lean back
    8. Let the bands traction your back for a while and then move around some (gluite bridges, wrap your feet around bands and twist from side to side, etc.)

If you go down about 1/2 way down this is similar to how I do them...
    http://unorthodox-fitness.blogspot.c...rt-1-of-2.html

Always undo the knots in your bands after each time otherwise they will get knotted up awfully good. If you have the huge monster black bands those work good too and are easier to set up (instead of doubling bands inside each other just use two monster bands).

Sounds like good advice man. I'll try anything at this point. I've got the bands covered. Oh, I'm probably a little better on my raw bench now. Thanks bro.
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    Sounds like good advice man. I'll try anything at this point. I've got the bands covered. Oh, I'm probably a little better on my raw bench now. Thanks bro.
    HAHA. Awesome! Good luck.

Jeez, I'm an idiot. Missed the part about it being under your lat. Is there any bruising? Do you think you popped a rib?

Dr. Subtotal
    Besides what ehubbard says:

You might want to try trigger pointing the areas above and below and to the sides as well with a lacrosse ball or knuckles.

You may want to try some light GMs to get the bar out of your hands and see what type of discomfort that presents. What's bad is if this ties into the erectors but it may just be an issue due to the stabilization of holding the bar that the lats provide and that a GM takes out. The back attack and RH can still give your erectors a beating while taking time off from pulling high intensities.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Eric gave great advice. Have you squatted since it happened? I'd say if it doesn't hurt to squat, take a few weeks off of pulling and focus on your squat. I popped something in my hammy squatting like 6-7 weeks out from my last meet. It hurt to squat, so I went light for the rest of the training cycle, but it didn't bother me when I deadlifted so I pushed those hard. Ended up feeling strong on both lifts at the meet. Just a thought.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Banned
    I wouldn't pull until the meet. Rehab and all that stuff mentioned above. Don't go nuts with it, but do it. If you pulled 700 6 weeks out, you'll be fine. Keep training the squat as hard as you can. You'll be fine. Stay positive.

OK....that wasn't even related to the topic. But anyways just to update I feel like my back healed up pretty quickly after the pull. I used the foam rolling and band traction methods and feel much better. My back feels really tight now so I will work on flexibility and such. I have since pulled a 720 and a 740 without any issues.
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Good to hear that it's on the mend.

Good luck at your meet.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!