Thread: SLDL Pain

SLDL Pain

When I do SLDLs, sometimes I feel like the back of my head is being stabbed. It hurts on the back of my head, about ear level. I really hate this and don't know what to do about it. I never have this crazy experience with any other lifts. Any suggestions??

OK benny, what's SLDL? I'm not up on the abbrevs. yet.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

runt,
    SLDL = stiff legged deadlift

benny,
    Make sure you are warming up properly. I experienced something similar a while ago when doing regular deads. Turns out I had a muscle spasm in my neck causing vascular headaches. See a chiropractor...
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

How do you position your head while doing SLDL?

Maybe I should warm up more, I usually do a couple of light sets and then 2 heavy ones. I don't really know how to explain how I'm holding my head. I have done them with my head in the same position that it is if I am just standing normal, if that makes any sense. I have also tried to kind of look up at myself in the mirror, neither has helped. Should I just not do them for a few weeks and then try again? I love SLDL, I just hate feeling like my head is getting ripped off every time I do them. Thanks for the help.

My knees always hurt when I do them. I keep my hamstrings as tight as possible the whole time to keep from getting momentum. My knees are like messed up the rest of the day after I do them. Is this normal?

benny, I would probably see a chiropracter or have someone look at your form at the gym.

Hercule, are you keeping your knees stiff or actuallly bending them. Most people prefer bending their knees despite the name.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

I keep my knees as stiff as humanly possible.

That is probably the problem, Most people (me included) do stiff with a slight bend in the knee, it really helps. Belial has called them keystones before. Try it, I think it will really help.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    yea, whenever u lift, on anything, you should not lock joints (like on bench, you shouldn't rest on the up position by locking your joints; once u go down, ur muscle isn't "ready" and u can hurt yourself, and u can hurt the joint too. always be slightly bent)
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000