Thread: Rep ranges for bulking?

Wannabebig Member

Rep ranges for bulking?

im trying to gain some serious size whilst getting stronger and more powerful. What type of rep ranges do you guys recommend? Im planning on doing mainly funcitonal movements with one or two isolation exercises
    Cheers guy

Alright..what are your goals.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Wannabebig Member
    gain around 22 pounds in 4 months, building whole body strength for playing rugby. mainly more functional movements than isolation but open to any ideas

Banned
    Well, 22 lbs in 4 months is a lot of weight to gain. It's very easy, but you'll gain a good amount of fat and you'll most likely lose some mobility/agility. I would spend your time trying to get stronger and do your best to pack on a few pounds. I would not recommend truly packing on weight for the sake of being 20lbs heavier to pay rugby.

Do your main work in the 3-5 reps range with a Block style approach. Keep your assistance work in the 8-12 range.

It can be done... just an example: One of the guys I train with came to my place weighing 182 about 8 months ago. He was a 6' bean pole. He weighed 221 tonight, with his first meet being this weekend. His training approach has been very simple, but effective.. first 4 weeks was a 5/3/1 break in period, then switched to a basic Westside template.. no bands, no chains, nothing but straight bar work and a basic ME/DE approach working weak points where he's worked through 12 week training cycles, typically working 2-3 rep maxes on ME days with all accessory work being in the 5-10 rep range. He hasn't done many singles, but he is hitting an absolute max every 12 weeks. He's a 21 year old college student who works for a moving company 2-3 days a week, so he's doing manual labor on top of training for powerlifting. He's also put over 150 lbs on his squat, 70 lbs on his bench and over 120 lbs on his deadlift during this time. We'll know true maxes this weekend, I'm guessing those numbers will be much higher in the end. The only problem he really has is eating.. but we preach EAT (youskinnyf#@K) enough, he tries hard.

There are many factors that will contribute to weight gains like that, but it can be done without any extraordinary measures other than calories and time under a heavy barbell.
    Last edited by JK1; 10-09-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    It can be done... just an example: One of the guys I train with came to my place weighing 182 about 8 months ago. He was a 6' bean pole. He weighed 221 tonight, with his first meet being this weekend. His training approach has been very simple, but effective.. first 4 weeks was a 5/3/1 break in period, then switched to a basic Westside template.. no bands, no chains, nothing but straight bar work and a basic ME/DE approach working weak points where he's worked through 12 week training cycles, typically working 2-3 rep maxes on ME days with all accessory work being in the 5-10 rep range. He hasn't done many singles, but he is hitting an absolute max every 12 weeks. He's a 21 year old college student who works for a moving company 2-3 days a week, so he's doing manual labor on top of training for powerlifting. He's also put over 150 lbs on his squat, 70 lbs on his bench and over 120 lbs on his deadlift during this time. We'll know true maxes this weekend, I'm guessing those numbers will be much higher in the end. The only problem he really has is eating.. but we preach EAT (youskinnyf#@K) enough, he tries hard.

There are many factors that will contribute to weight gains like that, but it can be done without any extraordinary measures other than calories and time under a heavy barbell.
    But you're talking about a skinny kid who lifts weights. Not an "athlete" who needs to maintain mobility and athleticism for sport. There's nothing athletic about lifting weights, so that kind of weight gain will be of no hinderance, especially because he's so tiny as it is.

You're right, it is possible, but not recommended for someone who actually needs to remain athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    But you're talking about a skinny kid who lifts weights. Not an "athlete" who needs to maintain mobility and athleticism for sport. There's nothing athletic about lifting weights, so that kind of weight gain will be of no hinderance, especially because he's so tiny as it is.

You're right, it is possible, but not recommended for someone who actually needs to remain athletic.
    I'm definatley not going to argue with you Rhodes, mobility for an athlete has to be a a top priority, but I will say I do think mobility training needs to be part of the day to day training of a powerlifter too. Sure we laugh at Kelly Starretts "supple leopard" stuff, but I'm a firm believer in what he says because I've seen the results myself in the gym. I'm also about the most unathletic fat guy you've ever met.

Talking about that guy again, he came to us having played highschool football..where he was beat to pieces because of poor coaching--shoulder problems, hip problems, increadibly tight hips and hamstrings. His mobility has improved drammatically with what he's done in the gym.

His brother is a junior college pitcher, he came to us even skinnier than his older brother, basically a 19 year old string bean. We trained him for 14 weeks through the summer, where he gained about 12 lbs. He put 60 lbs on his squat and deadlift (these were technique corrections as much as absolute strength gains) and 30 lbs on his bench during that time. He also went from throwing an average 83mph fastball to 88. why? I think because we trained his legs and ass that his JuCo coach was missing with the crap he had them doing. He's stronger, he's throwing harder more consistantly. He also should be walking onto the university team this year after JuCo fall ball is over. I need to check up with him to find out exactly where he is with that.

A couple of things I missed with the original poster that plays a huge role are his age and his size. A stringbean like the guys I'm talking about putting on 20 lbs is really nothing. A 285 lb offensive lineman putting on 20 lbs may hinder them so much they can't play the sport anymore, exactly like you have said. The same with a 205 lb running back wanting to bulk to 225. Not knowing specifics outside of sport played make answers somewhat difficult in my opinion. The other thing is age. The guys I'm mentioning as examples are late teens and early 20s. That is an age when most people are "maturing" and "filling out" even if they don't intend to be. This can be taken advantage of to put on quality size that maintains athleticism if its done correctly. I really want to think that's what has happened with these guys.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post

Do your main work in the 3-5 reps range with a Block style approach. Keep your assistance work in the 8-12 range.
    this
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/