The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Shin splints: Is it all about footwear?

Is this simply a matter of have proper foot wear or something that just happens to certain people somewhere along the line?

Last year I started getting this ache in the arch of my right foot which developed in to a bit of numbness between my big town and the toe next to it. Doctor took x-rays and said it wasn't a back injury. Pain followed in the arch of my foot. During a workout, I'd have no pain. The next day, I would have more than usual. Nothing that would need any kind of meds though. Doctor said it's just part of the game.

Then this week it looks like I've developed shin splints in my left leg (But not right). Doctor suggested better shoes and taping before hitting the gym.

I usually wear a pair of running shoes (Nike) and on occasion I've worn nothing. I recently picked up a pair of Vibram 5 toe shoes, they feel comfortable in and out of the gym.

So yeah, I'm not sure what to think really...just that I need proper PROPER lifting wear or if taping is what I should do from now on.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Honestly I don't feel like footwear has major impact on it. I've had experience with it a lot and have had MRI's for it because they reached their peak a little over a year ago. Unless you are wearing terrible shoes, it's all biomechanics and really, just you. Im doing a lot better now by running in better form, stretching my dorsi flexors(calves, believe it or not), and in your case I would get your arches taped by someone qualified for major running.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Do you run?
    I was watching a video on running form, they said shin splints are caused by not running correctly. Try to land mid foot, this will keep the muscle from over flexing and pulling away from the bone.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

From my experience the shoes are indeed a big factor. In my proper running shoes I can comfortably run and do HIIT sessions without getting shin splints. When I wear my casual walking shoes or some bad leather shoes for work I get extremely bad shin splints from just casual walks to the shops or train station (my area has some monster hills though). Having said that, I also used to get shin splints when I was younger before one of my friends pointed out that my running action wasn't the greatest.

I believe that footwear does play a role, but that running form is probably more critical. I just started running again and was wearing a run of the mill running shoe, cushioned with support, and was feeling shin splints. I switched to minimal running shoes and focused on landing on the mid foot and have not had issues since.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

I was an athlete, and college coach ~~~ there was always someone that was dealing with splints..... here's the deal, ice treats the symptoms as does stretching, but the root problem is a lack of strength in the muscle that runs just to the outside of the shin bone. Relative to a developed calf muscle the muscle on the front side of the shin is not very large, and gets overworked ~ causing the repetitive strain.

When I was a college coach, our team trainer ~ on a hunch ~ started pre-hab'ing all of the members on the team with shin splints and planar facia tendonitis ~ with simple toe lift exercises (raising your toes up off the floor, while keeping your heels down, and situps where the toes are held down, but person doing situp tries to raise their toes as they raise their torso into the upright, situp position.

Within 7 - 10 days, the issue was cleared up for everyone ~ suggesting that in the case of my players, it was a simple muscle imbalance.
    Last edited by Iplan; 10-10-2012 at 05:55 AM.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

That's a big part of it- you'll see it more often in heel strikers. One of the main theories I've seen, which is the most biomechanically sound (and is alluded to above) is this: When your heel impacts, the foot is forcibly pronated by the lever action of the heel across the ankle joint. To prevent sudden hyperextension, the tibialis anterior (which Iplan mentioned) is suddenly and forcibly engaged to slow this pronation. Repeated step after step, this can eventually cause plenty of trauma. This is one of the reason minimalist shoe guys who toe- or midfoot-strike don't seem to get shin splints (though they can have similar types of issues with their calves).

So, yes, learn to run with more of an under-the-body midfoot strike.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgD...hannel&list=UL

Take a look at all 6 of his videos on running form.

But footwear can play a role in running injuries IMO. I'm VERY specific as to what specs I like (need) in my running shoes. Long ago, I accidentally bought the wrong type (they had pronation control; I like "neutral" shoes) and got a pain in my knee almost immediately. I actually just tossed the shoes (basically brand new) in the garbage and bought the "right" shoes. Problem solved.

This is my shoe (and I don't care what company makes it). ~10oz, neutral trainer, with a ~10mm stack height differential between the forefoot and heel.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/desc...S-ADSK2M1.html

I'm not a fan of minimalist / barefoot running. Running is brutal. It really is. Your foot needs some protection. The main problem with "too much" padding is that 1) It does tend to encourage bad form (much of the padding is designed to compensate); 2) The more padding, the higher the "stack", which makes the shoe inherently unstable. The extra weight will also cause your foot to twist as you run.

I've run many hundreds / thousands of miles over the past 20+ years. Running is brutal. You WILL get injuries if you have bad running form. However, if you look at the vidoeo above and then click to the guys other videos, you'll see footage of Haille Gebrselassie's "terrible" running form / over pronation. Point is, "bad running form" isn't easy to spot necessarily.

Good luck.

r2473 thanks for the video, I learned a thing or two. Do you use those from trail running too?

What running shoes to the rest of you guys use? Minimal or more padding?
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Quote Originally Posted by krazylarry View Post
    r2473 thanks for the video, I learned a thing or two. Do you use those from trail running too?

What running shoes to the rest of you guys use? Minimal or more padding?
    Asics gel kayanos. Best damn shoe I've found for trail and road.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by krazylarry View Post
    Do you use those from trail running too?
    I run all my miles on sidewalks and the track.

I can't run on the side of most roads because they slope toward the curb for water drainage purposes. That kills my right knee.

I can't run on trails because I'm not comfortable with the "uncertain" terrain. I don't want to risk an ankle injury and don't want to spend the time needed to build up my ankles.

I understand that many people are looking for softer running surfaces than sidewalks as they say it helps prevent injuries. I've just never had a problem with running on the sidewalk (except for dodging cars at intersections and women walking 4 abreast, forcing me into the bushes, but that's a whole different story ).

Sport Specific:

Generally, soccer shoes have zero heel lift, as it dramatically increases the likelyhood of ankle sprains in the run of play.

The team shoe we were using at the time of the story I referenced were two: Adidas Copas (molded) and Adidas World Cup (studs) ~~~~
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

I'm a mild heel striker so I've barely had shin splints, but my preferred shoe for running is the Nike Free. I have the 7.0's which I think are the thickest of the Free line. Still thin, though. They're an amazingly comfortable shoe. I have some Reebok Crossfit Nano 2.0's now which are almost no drop from heel to tie and have no arch support. I workout in them (lifting, jumping, sprints, etc) and wear them out and about too and they're fantastic. But, if I'm going to run only, I grab the Nikes because I have just enough heel strike that zero drop shoes would probably be detrimental after a couple miles.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083