Thread: Missed last rep on bench. What should I do about it?

Missed last rep on bench. What should I do about it?

I've been training bench 3x per week for a few weeks and made solid gains. Today was the first day of a new weight, and I missed the last rep of 3x3, then tried for another set and failed on the 3rd rep again.

Should I set myself back a day til I can get 3x3 or count this a 1/3 of the weeks progression and do only 2 more sessions before upping
    weight?

Just wanna be 100% sure, thanks.

Dude, you've made so many of these posts and haven't taken any of the advice given. Are you on a program or is this something you've made up? Benching 3 times a week is a terrible idea unless you are juiced out of your mind and then its still a bad idea. Out of curiosity what numbers are you doing for bench.

Edit: Looking at one of your previous posts should answer this question, looks like you didn't get the answer you wanted in that thread however. (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ch.&highlight=)
    Last edited by DontTakeEmOff31; 10-09-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff31 View Post
    Dude, you've made so many of these posts and haven't taken any of the advice given. Are you on a program or is this something you've made up? Benching 3 times a week is a terrible idea unless you are juiced out of your mind and then its still a bad idea.
    Why exactly is it bad to bench 3 times a week? I do and I make great gains.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    Why exactly is it bad to bench 3 times a week? I do and I make great gains.
    What does your workout look like then, 3 heavy days? One heavy, moderate, light day?
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

What does your workout look like then, 3 heavy days? One heavy, moderate, light day?
    3 heavy

3 heavy
    I'm going to step aside and let some of the pros give input on this then. I have a hard time believing benching heavy 3 days a week is the most effective way to train.

Edit: Although to be honest OP, you really should post your bench numbers to put your workout into some context.
    Last edited by DontTakeEmOff31; 10-09-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Long term, it's definitely not an effective way to train. at all.

I ran a russian program once that had me benching 3 times a week way back when I was in college and it got me some short term gains but there is no way I could do that long term.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I'm curious. If your making gains, why are you seeking advice? 3x per week is made for pool or bowling. Not benching.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

May not work for everyone, but seems to be working for me for a while now. To each their own.

May not work for everyone, but seems to be working for me for a while now. To each their own.
    What's your pr?
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    What's your pr?
    385 at around 210.

I mean, not the best (I don't strictly powerlift), but I seem to make consistent gains when I'm injury-free.

385 at around 210.

I mean, not the best (I don't strictly powerlift), but I seem to make consistent gains when I'm injury-free.
    If you are someone who gets injured have you considered that overtraining is the cause?

This is the reason I think benching heavy 3 days a week is a bad idea, sure it may get you some short term gains, but what is 20 lbs on your bench if you get injured or stall out for 6 months? I don't think its a viable long term way to train, and certainly not for the OP who judging from his posts is a beginner and needs to learn how to train smart and effective.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

If you are someone who gets injured have you considered that overtraining is the cause?
    The injuries are knee injuries from football. But the giant leg braces after surgeries make it so I can't even lay down on a bench.

Never had any shoulder/wrist/chest injuries until someone bumped into me when I was maxing on bench (which pissed me the f--- off!).

Dr. Subtotal

This is the reason I think benching heavy 3 days a week is a bad idea, sure it may get you some short term gains, but what is 20 lbs on your bench if you get injured or stall out for 6 months? I don't think its a viable long term way to train, and certainly not for the OP who judging from his posts is a beginner and needs to learn how to train smart and effective.
    Beginners can bench 3x a week using a smart progression (In fact, 5x5 and other programs do just this). Even some of the highest level Sheiko templates have insane amounts of frequency built into the program. OP clearly has just stalled on whatever progression scheme he had (if he had one). Undulating periodization schemes have these as well.

It just matters what the definition of "heavy" is.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

^Yup, I'm doing Sheiko.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Anyone, running almost any program or lack thereof can get some gains if they work hard.

I ran the worst programming I could think of ( now) when I first started, and in a few years I got myself to around the same press you have ( 350 in contest on an opener, 405 in the gym) at around 230# and 6'5".... My programming was terrible, but I worked really hard so I still made gains.

Since getting with a team of guys much better than myself and learning how to program a training cycle my gains have come WAY faster and I am progressing way past numbers I'd only dreamed of before.

So, you might be making gains on your template, but ( and this is what most guys on here are saying to you) you could probably do better on something else.

Now, I've heard of guys doing well benching 2x a week, one heavier and one speed or lockout work, but heavy all the time is a template that no top lifter I've ever heard of uses..... maybe you're the next big genius to revolutionize training, or maybe you have a great work ethic and are just trying to reinvent the wheel with your training leading you to stall out or overtrain and your lifts are suffering for it.... just my $0.02, good luck with whatever you choose.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Banned
    Falcon, you clearly know what you're doing. I don't know why you ask questions. None of these guys know what they're talking about. Just keep doing what you're doing.

The answer you're looking for is "Bench 3x a week". This is the answer as handed down by the iron gods themselves. Don't listen to those who warm-up with your max. Don't listen to the guys who rep 385 for 10 reps.

Good.

When did I ever disregard advice from anyone here? I simply said that the program I'm doing now has been yielding results for me. No, I'm not a professional powerlifter or anything, but I'm making rapid gains while on a cut, so who cares?

Falcon, you came here, posted a question. Then you got advice. Then you go on to say this is what works for you. If that's the case then why post? Keep doing what you're doing. But I wouldn't keep posting questions. Eventually everyone going to be quite tired of answering the same question for you. Then, instead of any type of answer all you'll be is ignored.

The program you're doing now has yielded results. Congrats. You missed a rep and felt the need to ask for advice. Now either take the advice and move along or don't bother posting it next time. Congratulations on being a successful troll.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Wannabebig Member
    Falcon was not the OP

Quote Originally Posted by navid123 View Post
    Falcon was not the OP
    Was about to say that.

Nah, but you did get called out, bud, for chiming in with advice some might argue was sub-par.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results