Thread: Deloading for Westside

Deloading for Westside

Been on Westside for almost a month and a half now and wondering about the details in deloads. So far i've read a lot of information via the book but feel I don't have a strong foundation of knowledge of when I should deload and for that matter how long to do it for. Right now im following the typical:

Mon: Lower ME
    Wed: Upper ME
    Fri: Lower DE
    Sun: Lower DE

What sets/reps/percentages should I be aiming for?

Also, on the regular routine I rotate the ME movements once a week and reset my percentage goal every week for DE. (As recommended.) Should I follow that same principle should you guys recommend a long enough deload? Thanks.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

max effort:
    on your max effort day with the main lift, work up to your best single for the day, then you can drop the weight by 20% and bang out 5-8reps for 1-2sets if you want some more volume.

supplemental/ accessory:
    then just move onto your chosen supplemental and accessory lifts. these exercises should be suited to target your weaknesses, the most important ones being performed first. its an individual thing as to what exercises you use. in regards to how often you should rotate or change the supplemental lifts, at the bottom of this article find 'how do you cycle the other stuff'...the accessory stuff doesn't need to be changed as often, maybe 8 weeks. but if you get bored go ahead and change it anyway.
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...h-development/

dynamic effort day:
    as for DE day...squat: choose a squat variation, this will be used for 3 weeks in a wave, 10x2 @ 50-55-60%, every week the % increases. in a regular training cycle around 20% of your max, in band tension, should be added to the bar, but dont include it in the bar weight. if you're not moving the bar explosively, just take some weight off until you are. the percentages are a guideline. now go back and read that again. as for the bench press: 9x3 @ 55% + 20% band tension. no 3 week wave here. 3 grips should be used over the 9 sets, wide, med, close. up to you how you go about it.

Deload:
    after 5-6 weeks ish, instead of using singles, use triples or sets of 5s on your max effort. personally i use exercises i suck at because im forced to use less weight anyway, so that in itself is a form of 'under-loading'...for example. GMs with safety squat bar on max lower, work up to a heavy triple, then move on to the other stuff. flat DB presses for 2x5.

hey this is only advice. everyone seems to have their own way with westside so you will hear alot of versions of the same story. just trying to give you a better insight. good luck!
    Last edited by gaz90; 10-13-2012 at 04:53 AM.
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Hopefully Chris or Travis will jump in here.

But my understanding is that Louie doesn't like the concept of a deload at all. Instead, he's recommeneded when you are feeling a little beat up, worn down, on ME days skip the ME work and just do repetition work for a workout. If you are still feeling beat up, either your overall training volume is too much or you haven't built up your GPP enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    Hopefully Chris or Travis will jump in here.

But my understanding is that Louie doesn't like the concept of a deload at all. Instead, he's recommeneded when you are feeling a little beat up, worn down, on ME days skip the ME work and just do repetition work for a workout. If you are still feeling beat up, either your overall training volume is too much or you haven't built up your GPP enough.
    I think thats the concensus as well
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Dr. Subtotal
    I like lactic acid tolerance or rep effort training that day. Something like db press for time with a moderate weight or belt squats for time. Get the barbell out of your hands every once in a while. I'd also cut back on the accessory volume and instead do more sled work that.

DE day it depends on how your waves are structured. RE for bench with a different exercise but most likely a reduction in volume there too. All depends on GPP level, proximity to meet, extra-curriculars, etc.

Deload to reload baby!
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I think thats the concensus as well
    That doesn't mean that you can't schedule a deload, though.

Thank you for the help, everyone!
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."