The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

11/23/12

Tricep

I killed them tonight.

Everything was done high rep zero rest and got it all done in a bout 50 mins

JM presses x20x5

Kennellys x15x5

Hammers x10x5

One hand tricep ext X20x5

Overhead tricep ext with rope X20x5

Tricep extX20x5

Overheadtricep ext with dumbell X20x5

Pullups
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Great explanation of how CBL worked for you. Nice to see how others apply it. Im a big fan of the program. I look forward to seeing 600 go up @220. Pretty damn sick lol
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Great explanation of how CBL worked for you. Nice to see how others apply it. Im a big fan of the program. I look forward to seeing 600 go up @220. Pretty damn sick lol
    Thanks Brian I hope this comin year it should happen bro. The CBL is an awesome approach to leaning out as a PL and I am going to try the Carb night now during a 10 day deload session. See how that helps Maybe I can do a comp at 198 next year.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting

Turn the shoulders to boulders and a little back work

Went to Olympic gym to train

Lat pulls 3x12

seated rows 3x10 very heavy

Seated shoulder press 3x30

front raises 2x10 1x15

Rear delt work 3x10

Pull ups 3x12

NOw I really hurt my shoulder I think that it is a mixture of seated presses and pull ups I am going to rest it up for a week or so and try Carb night durn this time.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

12/2/12

Shoulder has been feeling much better but I decided to still take it easy on it.

Bench
    worked up to 315lbs for 4 sets of 20 reps.
    I really felt this the last couple sets it was a ton of volume that I wasnt used to.

Moved on to front raises started with 25lbs and moved up to 55lbs in 5lbs incurements after doing a set of 10 reps no rest. By the time I was finished my shoulders were on fire.

Seated shoulder press I went very light I wanted to feel out the shoulder it felt ok but out of the hole it hurt badly I stopped after one set of 30 and soaked in hot tub.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Chris Duffin and who else isnt a quitter

So last weekend Chris Duffin was injured in the WCO in Newport, Oregon. Chris was squatting on his third attempt and went flying from underneth the bar. At first I was really worried about Chris and the thoughts of him being out and the rehab process began running through my head. Worried I continued to watch the video and saw him finish the competition. He benched without leg drive after being carried out. And did less than a token deadlift basically on one foot.

A couple days later Chris posted a recap on his website. http://www.kabukiwarrior.com/
    Now if you dont know Chris he is a man always on the go. Running into the gym and leaving twice as fast after a workout. He has a thousand projects always going and balances a family and professional life.

After reading this recap on his injury it all made sense to me. When Chris and I train together it is war. Every single time. He will tell me today is the day Adrian I am going to out bench you. And I would fire back today is the day I bench 300lbs more than you. Both of us joking, but that is our compeititve side. He once told me I couldnt cut weight to 242lbs. The only reason I cut the weight was to show him I could and he shouldnt doubt me. This last time I cut weight with him in his homemade suana I wanted to quit so many times. But everytime I looked at him and thought if I leave now he is going to call me a pussy and I cant have that. I eventually passed out on his kids play room floor. But the fact is we push each other to the max.

I want to thank Chris for not quitting that day. He could have and no one would have said anything other than thats the right move. Chris had to prove something to himself and in the mean time he has proven something to me. Shit does get hard. And when it does you will regret being a quitter. So never quit push your self. Dont stop until you reach your goal. I promise some time in my life I will read that story to my kids and they will appreciate it as much as I did.

I have watched the video now about 30 times. Chris thats why you have 31 views on youtube. Everytime I watch it I cringe. Everytime I watch him deadlift I think of Allison Mcweeny who deadlifts one legged every time. And how she has every reason in the world to give up powerlifting. But because of these people they have helped me realize that quitting is not going to be an option. EVER.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

What did he do to himself?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    What did he do to himself?
    Partial tear of right adductor with no avulsion or rupture of the tendon!
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Wannabebig Member courtneygould's Avatar
    Great post A!!! Keep after it.. because I will be outbenching you soon! Chris - he had a partial tear to his adductor but no rupture, so no surgery.
    Courtney Gould

Heavy Athletics Nutrition, Sponsored Athlete www.heavyathleticsnutrition.com

Subscribe to Youtube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/gouldc8/videos

Very cool post Adrian. Chris is truely a warrior.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

12/6/12

Speed Benching

Now I dont always speed bench due to the fact that I am old as shit and I need to take more time to heal. However I am going to work some in due to the fact I will be hitting a little more volume over the next 6 weeks and not so much heavy. So I hit floor presses with light chains.

I completed 12 sets I did floor presses close grip I do 3 sets of 3 reps and that is one set so alot of volume here.

Moved to Incline benching dumbells 4 sets of 25 reps with 110lbs

LAt pulls

Seated Rows

Rear delt flys

ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

12/7/12

Just wanted to feel productive today so I hit some tris.

Hammer Tris

Tri ext

Kennelys

JM presses

Overhead Tris

Pullups

OUT
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

12/8/12

GPP work

Rear delt work

Push prowler 4 rounds

Shoulder mobilty work

Superman on Oly rings (ab work)

Shrugs
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

12/10/12

Worked up to sets of 405lbs for reps to failure

first set 13
    second 12

NOt really happy with this I was bet earlier that I couldnt do 20 and the whole drive to the gym I grinded my teeth and I was pumped didnt get the outcome I wanted tho.

MOved on to shoulder presses and front and rear delt work

HOTTUB
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

12/14/12

Took most of the week off to relax and just work

I choose pretty late in the evening to go hit some triceps.

I hit 5 different tricep movements high reps

Shrugs

Home
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

12-22-12

Well the holidays have screwed up my training schedule. However Scott contacted me and asked if I would max effort bench with him on Saturday so on to the gym I went. Now Scott is 9 feet tall and has a long reach however he hit a 25lbs PR today which is fantastic.

Now my shoulder has been bothering me for a couple weeks not a ton of pain but enough to feel it and know that it isnt getting better. I worked up to 405lbs and completed 6 sets of 10 reps or more. The idea was to see if the shoulder could stand that type of volume and it did and even started to feel better toward the end.

Moved on to Fat bar seated OHP 225lbs for paused 5 reps 3 sets

Floor presses
    175lbs dumbells 3sets of 5

Shrugs on incline bench

Face pulls with bands.

this was a good workout and glad to be around alot of good people.

Now I am attempting to make it down to 198lbs from about 224lbs right now. So this week I tore it up I have eaten everything and anything. I will start up with a hard CBL program mid next week. I think that it will be easy to get down there but we will see.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

12/28/12

Went in to blow off steam because throwing shit around in the gym is cheaper than doing that at home.

So eccentric DE benching it is I wanted to try something new due to shoulder pain. So I did dumbbell presses. Went about 7sec down and a fast press to lock out with 100lbs dumbbell.

10 sets of 5

Tricep pushdowns not sure how much weight but it was a lot
    5sets of 10

JM presses

Hammers
    Ohp with dumbells

Done

I am 28lbs over 198 right now after I consume beers on news years it will get locked up

Also I wil now do something everyday in the gym that I don't want to example good mornings that I did the other day and squats an the other bullshit. I'm doing this to prove a point.

Also I am working on a 2500 lbs total currently. 2400 of it Will be benching. Bitch
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

What a killer max effort bench

I went in and killed a max effort bench workout on Sunday night. This is the best workout I have had in a while. Now warming up I had a ton of pain in my left shoulder in fact when I got to 315lbs I almost called it a day it hurt so bad. I kept rolling it out inbetween sets and evatually it stopped hurting so bad.

Worked up to 2 sets of 475lbs for 5 reps. This is a little off my best I nailed 500 for almost 6 a couple months back. However I havnt gone over 405 since the middle of October and since the shoulder has hurt I really havnt put together to many good workouts. So I was happy with what I got.

I moved to dumbbell incline pressing worked up to 175lbs db's for 5 reps.

Next was Eccetric heavy DB floor presses. For 3 reps holy shit this is really hard. I tried the 175lbs DB's but I am not sure if I actually got 3 in.

Finished with Shrugs and dips. Now Shrug Life is really coming along. Jennifer Petrosino judged a shrug off and she gave me second place. I am not a fan of this so I will be sure to hit the shrugs. Jennifer is a new member of EliteFTS you can follow her articles here http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...isconceptions/ She is truly hard core and guys or girls can learn a thing or two from her. One of the most interestin things I have seen this New Year was a statement she put out. She said she didnt need New year goals. It doesnt matter what day or year it is her goal doesnt change just because it is a new year. This is very true. Alot of people think that since it is Jan 1st the clock starts over and you get a fresh start. This is incorrect. Your goals shouldnt be from Jan 1st to Dec 31st. Anyway check out her training log and articles she is a stud.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Nice sessions you're putting in, Adrian!

1/1/13

Shoulders to look like boulders. New Year's Day workout. It's funny to go Into the gym and see people I have never seen before and In a month I won't see them again.*
    I started with rack shoulder presses switching my grip narrow to wide. Shoulder still a little sore so I didn't go heavy. Did about 10 sets of 8 and 3 sets of 3*
    Moved on to reverse grip bench. Trying something new did high volume 50 reps. Felt good.*
    Hit some light 3 rep deads. With a little something I came up with.
    Wrapped up with two back movements and a killer rear delt work.*
    Than I went home and ate like crazy without any carbs since I am tryig to get done to 198. Carb nite until end of jan.*
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

1-3-12

Speed a little

Worked on some wide grip pressing worked up to 315lbs for a few sets.

Moved straight to triceps

JM Presses

Hammers

Tricep pushdown

Reverse Tricep pushdowns.

Flys

Hot tub
    home

All in all good quick work out in and out. Feel strong.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

GPP

I hate this shit. But the 198 isnt going to come on its own. Worked in several 30 sec sets everything was done for 3 or four sets

Standing shoulder press
    Bands over the head
    Rear delt with bands
    Sled pull
    Hit tire
    Battle rope

Spent
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Sit and spin dumbass

So recently someone came up to me and said they were going to just give up on something. It isnít important what it was. The important part is giving up... Why would anyone want to give up.. Here is why there is a chance that what you did, do or try isnít going to work out. Awesome. Fuck it. Everyone has the potential to be good enough. However, it depends on yourself if you tell your self screw it I am going to try and I may fail but it will make me better.

I started my career 6 years ago for a place that you need to have a minimum physical standard. Now with the way I was born I have limitations. Flexibility in my lower body isnít the best. I arrived to complete the obstacle course and the person running the course pulled me aside and said you will not pass this which means you will get fired. Now I just made a career change and things were scary for me at this point. I took a pay cut and now I am looking at being unemployed. I told this person trust me I can do anything anyone else can do. I can do this. I busted my ass and passed easily. Not only easily but I was in the middle of the pack for the time limit. Now if it was up to the jack ass that said I canít pass. I wouldnít have the job I have now. I would have went home and said I canít do it. Screw that. I am not that person to say I canít. I am going to try and if I fail I will try again. I will try until I am broken. Being not good enough isnít an option. This person now knows that and trust me they will never speak those words again.

Step out of the comfort zone I promise it is a made up place in your head. Do something that is tough. Since this has happened I have done something in the gym I have never done before "Work on my Total." I have always been a bench only lifter. Not any more to show everyone that a comfort zone doesnít exist I am training all three lifts. Which means there will be times I look stupid there will be smaller people lifting more than me. But I will work my ass off to show that I will try and I wonít stop trying.

Lastly, Raw means Raw stupid. Just saying. Alaskan airlines is only 20 mins away.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Awesome post Adrian! This is the basis of how I live my life and what I tell my sons. I always tell them it wouldn't bother me one damn bit if they failed at EVERYTHING they did, because it meant they tried. I have a son with Autism and I see how he battles every day and will continue to so so for his entire life. Then I see people with everything going or them, like you were talking about, giving up or not even making an attempt. Wtf?! I just don't get it. But the more people that quit, the more room there is at the awards ceremony...
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

Wannabebig Member courtneygould's Avatar
    Thanks for always having my back stud
    Courtney Gould

Heavy Athletics Nutrition, Sponsored Athlete www.heavyathleticsnutrition.com

Subscribe to Youtube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/gouldc8/videos