The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Awesome post Adrian! This is the basis of how I live my life and what I tell my sons. I always tell them it wouldn't bother me one damn bit if they failed at EVERYTHING they did, because it meant they tried. I have a son with Autism and I see how he battles every day and will continue to so so for his entire life. Then I see people with everything going or them, like you were talking about, giving up or not even making an attempt. Wtf?! I just don't get it. But the more people that quit, the more room there is at the awards ceremony...
    Yes keep it up man I love the fact you teach your children that I am in the same boat.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Monday night Madness 1/7/13

Still sore from my gpp work on Saturday I worked 12 hours and I was a little cranky by the time I made it in the gym.

Normal warmup
    worked up to 405 with purple and orange bands. I did my math wrong on these. I was really dissapointed that I was barely hitting three. However it was around 530 or so. Still not exactly where I want to be but was able to get a couple of sets of two good looking reps and a shitty third.

Rear delt work with OLY rings and Dips just went back and fourth for 3 sets.

Standing OHP with kettle bells now this is tough shit man. I think I had the 56lbs not sure maybe 66 it really doesnt matter it was heavy finished up with 4 sets of 8 reps

Bent over rows 145lbs 3 sets of 8

Tired as shit

Moved on to eating as much sushi as I could. I know I am doing carb nite but I screwed it up a little.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting

1-9-13

Didnt really fee like doing anything other than sitting in the hot tub. But I got out there and hit some shit.

Front and side dumbell raises

OHP with barbell

Seated shoulder press

Shrugs

Incline rear delt movement along with incline front raises
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

1/11/13

SPeed work

I came up with this great idea on the way to the gym and after trying it I wish I would have ran my truck off a bridge before I got there.

Bench eccentric decline with a 2 second pause on chest 225lbs with 35lbs kettlebells hanging from blue bands.

Stupid this shit hurt so much I cant wait to do them again as long as I am just a spotter.

Close grip lock out for reps

JM presses

Flys

Shrugs
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Brandon Graham

So recently I came up with the saying SHRUG LIFE now I know I am not the first person to say or use that term. However, I choose to make shirts that say shrug life on them. And people have really liked them and I have had a great turn out with the shirts.

So recently I had Marissa Inda send me some pics of her in the SL shirt. I have been posting her pic along with other people that have bought them on a varitey of websites.

So I post a thread on BB.com now I have had an acct with them for about 5 years or so. Every now an then I get angry with a troll and deactivate my acct for a month or a couple of years. HAHA. Now recently I reactivated my acct and I posted a thread advertsing the SL shirts. First idiot post a disrespectful comment to Marissa. Now if you dont know me that well one thing you will find out really fast is I am not one that will stand for disrespectful comments to woman. I hate the fact that people say things to woman and everytime I see it I make a comment back to the idiot that says it. So this idiot Brandon Graham who of course was hidding behind a moniker replies I will give you 15 bucks how many mins do I get with her and when I am done I will give you the shirt back.

Now I would usally really fire back here. But I held my self back and simply replied please have some respect. Now this idiot goes on to tell me a bunch of crap. Finally another member steps in posts a link to youtube stating hey this is Adrian Larsen maybe have a little respect he is a great bencher. This clown replies back he should bench more than me he is 30 lbs heavier and 4 inches shorter. And than goes on to make fun of the fact I do not squat or deadlift.

Well Brandon didnt know what he was getting into. I found him on FB and we had a great talk today. Lets just say it ended with a SORRY. Your damn right you should be sorry and you should be ashamed of yourself. Someday Brandon you wont be able to hide behind your keyboard and you might catch an ass whoopin when you pipe off with some smart ass comment. Hopefully he learned his lesson.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Quote Originally Posted by larsen540 View Post
    So recently I came up with the saying SHRUG LIFE now I know I am not the first person to say or use that term. However, I choose to make shirts that say shrug life on them. And people have really liked them and I have had a great turn out with the shirts.

So recently I had Marissa Inda send me some pics of her in the SL shirt. I have been posting her pic along with other people that have bought them on a varitey of websites.

So I post a thread on BB.com now I have had an acct with them for about 5 years or so. Every now an then I get angry with a troll and deactivate my acct for a month or a couple of years. HAHA. Now recently I reactivated my acct and I posted a thread advertsing the SL shirts. First idiot post a disrespectful comment to Marissa. Now if you dont know me that well one thing you will find out really fast is I am not one that will stand for disrespectful comments to woman. I hate the fact that people say things to woman and everytime I see it I make a comment back to the idiot that says it. So this idiot Brandon Graham who of course was hidding behind a moniker replies I will give you 15 bucks how many mins do I get with her and when I am done I will give you the shirt back.

Now I would usally really fire back here. But I held my self back and simply replied please have some respect. Now this idiot goes on to tell me a bunch of crap. Finally another member steps in posts a link to youtube stating hey this is Adrian Larsen maybe have a little respect he is a great bencher. This clown replies back he should bench more than me he is 30 lbs heavier and 4 inches shorter. And than goes on to make fun of the fact I do not squat or deadlift.

Well Brandon didnt know what he was getting into. I found him on FB and we had a great talk today. Lets just say it ended with a SORRY. Your damn right you should be sorry and you should be ashamed of yourself. Someday Brandon you wont be able to hide behind your keyboard and you might catch an ass whoopin when you pipe off with some smart ass comment. Hopefully he learned his lesson.
    When I saw your first post on FB about this, I just lost it! Way to throw it back at a disrespectful little troll. Way to stand up like that Adrian! Awesome!
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

Yes keep it up man I love the fact you teach your children that I am in the same boat.
    I don't know if you saw my post about when my six year old attempted the 1,200# DL with me or not. But long story short: he was sad it didn't move, I asked him how many guys were at the gym who were bigger than me and didn't event try, he said a lot of them, I told him he did more than all of them by trying, and he smiled for days...
    36 yr old novice PL

Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -

I don't know if you saw my post about when my six year old attempted the 1,200# DL with me or not. But long story short: he was sad it didn't move, I asked him how many guys were at the gym who were bigger than me and didn't event try, he said a lot of them, I told him he did more than all of them by trying, and he smiled for days...
    That is perfect man. Great story and that is the way to teach a child that will be something when they get older. Great job
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

1/14/13

Max bench
    I worked up to 625 for a sloppy double with the ram. NOw I am ok with this. I didnt think I was going to get that heavy but I am glad I did. Weight felt great.

Moved on to some tricep movements and finished with some shoulders.

Great day of benching. Much better than the last few.

I have been expermienting a little with how many carbs to consume on my carb night the day before I train heavy and it seemed what I did this week was right on.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

1/17/13

Dynamic effort benching

Eccentirc and with a isometric pause.

Worked up to 275lbs and completed 6 sets. I was pretty taxed after this.

Finished up with three tricep movements and a rear delt movement.

Everything felt good. Allthough I hate training at commercial gyms. I was able to get the job done.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Nice work man. Solid benching this week. I couldn't imagine training in a commercial gym ever. I just walk out to my garage and go. It might be below 0 right now not counting wind chill, but I can deal with the cold a lot better than I can deal with assholes... Lol
    36 yr old novice PL

Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -

Nice work man. Solid benching this week. I couldn't imagine training in a commercial gym ever. I just walk out to my garage and go. It might be below 0 right now not counting wind chill, but I can deal with the cold a lot better than I can deal with assholes... Lol
    I know what you mean man
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

1/19/13

Squats

Man what a full day worked a little overtime and hit the gym to squat. Now if you dont know why I am squatting here is why. I am trying to prove a point that things are hard and you never give up or say your not good enough.

Used safety bar worked up to roughly 125lbs ish for 8 sets of 8

Knee extensions

Reverse hyper

Wide grip seated rows.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

1/21/13

Max bench

Still using the ram this is the last week. Wanted to go heavy. Worked up to 605 for 2 655 for 1 and 675 for 1. Then dropped down to 500 for 10

Tates 100lbs

Lockout 625lbs for 3 sets of 8

Tricep pushdowns with bands

Shrugs 33 reps at 315lbs Only did this cuz some people were talking shit. So I proved em wrong. Yea you know who you are.

Rep out 100lbs dumbells for presses 37 reps
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Max bench

Still using the ram this is the last week. Wanted to go heavy. Worked up to 605 for 2 655 for 1 and 675 for 1. Then dropped down to 500 for 10

Tates 100lbs

Lockout 625lbs for 3 sets of 8

Tricep pushdowns with bands

Shrugs 33 reps at 315lbs Only did this cuz some people were talking shit. So I proved em wrong. Yea you know who you are.

Rep out 100lbs dumbells for presses 37 reps
    You'd damn well better have been wearing your Shrug Life shirt! Lol
    36 yr old novice PL

Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -

Impressive benching with the ram Adrian. Look forward to seeing 600@220 go up.
    Also, very inspirational work with the squatting. Excellent stuff bro.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

You'd damn well better have been wearing your Shrug Life shirt! Lol
    HAHA I think at this point I was so pissed I wasnt wearing a shirt.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Impressive benching with the ram Adrian. Look forward to seeing 600@220 go up.
    Also, very inspirational work with the squatting. Excellent stuff bro.
    Thanks B I appreciate it alot man.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

01/28/13

Max Bench but really just a bullshit workout

I went into the gym not in a good mood and I was going out of town the next day I had a ton of stuff to do.

I still managed to run in there I switched up my training a little this week and hit max reps with 315 I think I shot around 30 for 3 or four sets.

Front and side DB raises

Rear pec dec to hit rear delts.

Ran out of time so called it a day there
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

1-29-13

Now I am about to go out of town and I know I am going to eat way to much so this is in hopes not to screw with my back loading to much

Tricep pushdowns

DB hammers

Shrugs

Hammer curls
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

1-30-13

I hit up Fitness 101 in Lincoln City this is a great gym if you happen to swing down there check it out.

Back

Lat pulls

Seated rows

Bent over rows

Face pulls

Rack pulls

Shrugs
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

While I was out of town a guy approached me and asked how much you bench man. Now I always lie. Because you get accused of using steriods they dont believe you what ever. So I just keep it reasonable. Usally I say 350lbs. So this 165lbs man asked how much you bench. I say 350lbs. And he replies wow man yea I just hit 335lbs. HAHAHA yea right man. But instead I say great job.

He asked me dude what do you eat and do you train every day. He asked like I found some secret. I responded I eat everything I can get my hands on and I train about 3 days a week. Now I am getting a funny look from this guy. So I stopped the conversaton by breaking it down very easy for him.

There is no secret food, routine or program. The secret is being consistant with hard work. There is no formula with that except I want to get stronger and have goals in mind that drive my training.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

^^this made me laugh. Funny
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

2/2/13

Bullshit squat and pull day. I hate this because I cannot do either well but I am holding up my end of the bargain.

I used a stupid machine to work on depth. High reps. Worked 5 sets of 25 to 30. Afterwards my quads were shaking.

Moved to just bar in squat rack and just attempting to get to depth. I failed but I am getting closer.

Rack pulls about 6 inches from ground. Not even going to discuss weight. But I did prob 12 sets of 4 to 8 reps and felt good. Low back got really tight at the end but all in all good easy day.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Focus before you lose it

I am sitting here trying to stucture my training session for tonight and it hits me. How many training sessions have you let slip by. How many times did you not give it your all. Every session you let slip away you cannot have it back. Its GONE. Next thing you will know you could be looking back at a what if.

Dont let there be what if's Dont let time and sessions slip away. Reach for your goals and fight the living shit out of it until you reach them. And after you reach them get new goals and start over.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting