Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Adrian's Training log 600@220

Wannabebig Member courtneygould's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larsen540 View Post
    This week has been interesting. I started off pressing on monday with shitty spotters.
    Really?!?!

Good job babe.

Allright so last night I was ready for a huge session. Been talking with Mark Bell and he has given me some ideas on how to train smarter.
    I worked up to 530 and smoked it. Then my spotters choose to add 25lbs on the bar. I would have only went to 540 but they tricked me and put 555 on. I stalled near lockout. I think it was too big of a jump for me raw that close to my max. Dropped down to 405 and cranked out 12 reps.

Moved onto 200 db presses . I almost fell off the bench it was really scary. So I just did 2 sets of 3

Front delt raises

Wrapped up with some kennellys with bands.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Allright so last night I was ready for a huge session. Been talking with Mark Bell and he has given me some ideas on how to train smarter.
    I worked up to 530 and smoked it. Then my spotters choose to add 25lbs on the bar. I would have only went to 540 but they tricked me and put 555 on. I stalled near lockout. I think it was too big of a jump for me raw that close to my max. Dropped down to 405 and cranked out 12 reps.

Moved onto 200 db presses . I almost fell off the bench it was really scary. So I just did 2 sets of 3

Front delt raises

Wrapped up with some kennellys with bands.

Keep after it A. I think the training protocol that we talked about over dinner will help a lot.
    Courtney Gould

Heavy Athletics Nutrition, Sponsored Athlete www.heavyathleticsnutrition.com

Subscribe to Youtube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/gouldc8/videos

I think so also C.....

Training lately has been a little rough I have been working long days and lots of overtime and cutting weight. Needless to say it has been difficult to have a fantastic workout. Last week was my semi light day and I worked up to 445lbs for sets of 3 very easy but only focus is form and saving the gas in the tank for the following week.

Now since this is my light week I do one day of back and misc shit and the rest of the week is nothing other than take it easy. I went to the gym feeling good on monday. I have choosen to no longer warm up the way I have been in the past. What the fuck is the reason of going 135 225 315 and then 405 before I even feel anything. If you want to lift heavy always lift heavy. I dont start tricep pushdowns with 30lbs and work my way up I go fucking big right from the get go. So I do some band work such as face pulls, rear delt work and light curls then move straingt to pushing some heavy shit. I started with 375 and only did triples. once I got to 500 I only did doubles. And then stayed at 515 for four sets of doubles all look good. I was able to adjust technique issues I was having and still got heavy weight in my hands. I then put on new sling shot eaisly pressed 575 and was a complete dumb ass and went up to 645lbs now I was a dumb ass cuz the side spotters were a couple of guys that are good guys they just didnt understand that I may have to grind it out. I got about half way up and the bar slowed down and the guy on the right side grabbed the bar. I am not sure if I would have gotten it or not but it was still moving and didnt feel like I was done but I called it after that and hammered rear delts with dumb bells and some tricep pushdowns both were done with high reps.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

Vegas Power Hour is having a round table discussion on there radio show tomorrow night 6pm PST. Here is the question and my response.

Due to recent events, I thought the questions below would be a great way to start things off with the first, of many, VPH Round Table discussions. Let us know what you think. Every one of us has a “voice” in this sport we love so much and VPH’s intent is to create a platform for everyone’s voice to be heard, no matter what “level” athlete you are. ~Tony
    Subject: Change
    Questions: When setting an all-time record should we change things up? Should we start to incorporate the use of video to verify the lift? If not, should the sport demand require at least 2 international judges, since they are required for “regular” world records. Lastly I asked if the term, “well I got 2 white lights” is out dated.
    *All responses from participants are their responses to me via email. They have been copied and pasted and are not altered.
    Adrian Larsen
    First off thanks for making me be a part of this. Something like this is always fun. I think that some of the records personally should not have passed. I am however not an internet judge haha. I think that some feds have slipped with their integrity a little. This is the fault of the lifters though for continuing to support those feds and competing with them. I think it would be to hard for lifters to pick meets that would have international judges present to predict an all-time attempt. However, judging does need to be more consistent. This crap of I am competing and two of my buddies are judges and it is put on by my buddy is getting old. The fact is there are too many inconsistencies with judging and the feds don't mind because they are trying to stay above water.
    Having video judging would complicate things. The fact is we should have 3 competent judges that know what they are doing and the feds should be holding them accountable. Setting an All-time record is a huge deal and the lifters should want them to be legit as much as the feds do. But the fact is, it seems like a lot of short cuts are being taken lately. The 2 white lights is fine in my eyes. I think the judges are looking at different parts of the lift and one may miss something but it shouldn't be obvious that a lift is no good and they get a two to one light. So to sum it up yea things need to change. The feds need to change and the only way that will happen is when you have these small feds that do not do the sport any good is stop giving them your money. Simple as that.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

Wannabebig Member
    Training is looking Solid whens the next meet? I agree too many feds but some are growing by leaps and bounds and proving to be legit like the USPA my last meet with them they capped out like a month before and still had 15 on a waiting list in MO!! . The way it is going there will only be a couple actually pulling in lifters.
    Last edited by Talon Wright; 06-13-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    best raw meet lifts
    565/424/650 1615@234
    540/390/670 1600@215
    573/386/633 1593@195
    Okstrength Gym
    Arrogant Bastards Colorado

Talon,

My next meet is next weekend I am going to just work on my numbers I am trying to get my opener a little closer to 555 range vs the 520 and 530 of my last two comps. So depending on how I feel we will make adjustments.

I agree some feds are making leap and bounds. But the fact is too many feds equal to many inconsisitancies and that leads to bogus records and false champions. USPA is a good fed Steve Denision has done a great job putting that together. He is the minority tho. Too many people branch out and try there own thing or become a state chairman and they allow interigty to fly out the window. Steve again has done a great job and I have zero complaints about the fed. If lifters stepped up and gave the feds, state chairman and presidents of the feds there feedback shit would get fixed really quick. But the truth is the state chairman are running meets for a little bit of money whether they say it or not. And prob the only time they hear from the lifters is to talk shit about why a lift wasnt passed. And I wouldnt want to hear that either. If people only supported feds that took time and pride into what they do things would be different. For instance I only buy Nike shoes. I have not wore a shoe that Nike hasnt made in over 15 years. Guess what I support them and I believe in there products. They have always done me right. In return I get a good product that is exactly what I pay for. My point is people have to stop running out and doing meets just to do them, do them because you believe the feds are doing what they can to keep a standard in lifting.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

I'm making a cut from ~230 to compete at 198 in this years Olympia. I knew you had cut a lot of weight in the past so I took a look at your journal for some inspiration. You have an awesome journal. Aside from the insane weights you press, I love the extra thoughts and tips you throw in. Thanks for a great read and a lot of inspiration.

Thanks Mike I appreciate it bro
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

APF COMP 6-22-13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TidbI...Z3o5DS7cxLt7Pw

Here is the video of my last competition. It went really well. I opened at 540 hit 561 on second and finished with 573 on my final all raw at 220lbs bw.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

I recently competed in a bench press competition in Portland, Oregon. It was put on by Chris Duffin the Oregon State chairman for the APF.
    I originally attempted to make a run at cutting weight to 198lbs. After failing miserably by depleting my carbs for to long. I realized I would have to compete at 220lbs. Which just made it for an easy time making weight. After I weighed in I ate like I would have if I had just cut 18 lbs. Which is almost harder than cutting weight.

I showed up at the competition a little late and as I arrived I was told that I have 20 mins or so before I would be lifting in a short 6 man flight. I got straight to warming up. By the time I made my way to 515lbs the bar was moving very slow and had no speed off of my chest. This worried me a little because my opener was 540lbs.

As I got ready to set up for my opener. Two people came up to me and said things to me that ment a lot. Courtney said to me there are people out there that don't think you can do this. And Chris Duffin said it is time to make this happen you need to get fired up. I laid down and got my hands in the right spot, looked up at the center lift off person and said, "Up." The left side spot picked up the bar and nearly made me fall off the bench. I quickly racked the bar and yelled, "Don't touch the fucking bar." Opps I was a little fired up. The comments made to me prior to going up there put my mind in a different spot. Very few times in training have I been in this spot. I didn't care how long the judge kept the bar on my chest it was going to fly up. 540lbs was a joke of an opener. It went up faster than I made 405lbs look in warm ups.

My second attempt was 561lbs. By this time I was in the zone. My thoughts were clear. I was doing a great job on visualizing the bar moving flawlessly up. And I was by myself in a back room. When I got up to the platform to lift. I was again focused. I laid down watched the bar decent to my chest. I heard a loud press command and pressed like a mother fucker. Easy.

My third attempt took me a while to determine what it was going to be. But at some point I figured screw it go big. I choose 573lbs.

I walked up to the platform and by the time I laid down I forgot how much it was. Or how close I was to reaching my goals. All I thought was press all the way through. I brought the bar down heard press and the bar went up without any sticking points. I stood up and lost it. I was so excited that I was that much closer to my goal. All the hard work in the gym is paying off and I am making progress.

There are a ton of people that deserve a thank you from me. First Courtney deserves a thank you for all the late nights at the gym, grumpy moods because I either had a bad training session or I was carb depleted. Chris Duffin for helping keep my mind right and giving me access to a great gym. Mark Bell for taking time out of his day to help someone just to help them. And all my training partners that hold me accountable for what I do and what I should be doing in the gym
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

There are a ton of people that deserve a thank you from me. First Courtney deserves a thank you for all the late nights at the gym, grumpy moods because I either had a bad training session or I was carb depleted.
    Now do you understand why I try to cook so well for you? I love you lots and I'm so very proud of you... that records is yours babe. All the nay-sayers and haters can choke on fat dick when it's your name on the all time list.
    Courtney Gould

Heavy Athletics Nutrition, Sponsored Athlete www.heavyathleticsnutrition.com

Subscribe to Youtube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/gouldc8/videos

Quote Originally Posted by courtneygould View Post
    Now do you understand why I try to cook so well for you? I love you lots and I'm so very proud of you... that records is yours babe. All the nay-sayers and haters can choke on fat dick when it's your name on the all time list.
    Thank you very much Court
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

Training has been going well since the meet. Other than my bw shooting up a little benching has been going good. I hit 3 sets at 500 for 5 reps which is a best for me. Along with seeing progress with front loading my workout. Tighting up the CBL and will be back to 220 in 4 weeks.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

So the last couple of weeks have been going really well for me. I completed 3 sets of 500 for 5 which is a huge accomplishment for me. Along with doubling 545 two sets followed by 555 for doubles two sets. Front loading my workouts have helped a ton.

Basically I have not benched anything under 315 for 2 months now and I am seein a huge progress along with doing dead pin presses. That has helped my speed a ton. Tomorrow I plan to hit 565 or 570 for a double along with hitting 600 for a triple in the slinger. Hit up how much ya bench.net for a slinger.

Also If you have yet to try the pre work out mix by ALN your missing out. I have had some insane workouts due to that product alone. Try it.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

Training has been very solid for me lately. Things are really falling into place. This was my last heavy day leading up to aug 24th competition.

Low to high pulls super set with rear delts. 4x12

Lat pulls super set with curls
    4x12

Bench
    315x2
    405x2
    455x2
    495x2
    545x2
    560x2
    600x3 with sling shot

Dead pin presses.
    405x2x5 sets

100 push-ups

Battle rope 3 sets of 35 sec
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

Last week I doubled 545 raw benching for 4 sets. This week was my light week. I like to work up to a good working weight which I choose 500 and did a triple double an a single. I finished up with 545 for 5 reps with slinger.

Moved to dead pin presses off chest. 405 3 sets of 4

Kennellys

And bottoms up pressing
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

Benching has been going really well for me as of late. I have been hitting all my goals. Last week I hit 585 for a double paused reps with slinger. Felt easy I have injured my back tho and it is taking a toll on my acc work. Hopefully it heals up soom.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

Finally broke the all time raw record at 220lbs benching 585 this last weekend. Glad to have that behind me and now time to move onto the next chapter of my lifting.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

Adrian, just did some reading up on your log and watching some videos, man you're a beast! Inspiring and completely awesome work brother.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Adrian, just did some reading up on your log and watching some videos, man you're a beast! Inspiring and completely awesome work brother.
    Thanks bud
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

In power lifting, progress is measured in training. We look at the training we are doing and record our progress and down falls. This is a way to critique our training and what works and what doesn’t work. Over the years, several different implements have been used to increase strength. For instance, we have boards or foam boards to work on range of motion. We also use chains hanging off the bar. Another implement often used is bands. You can use straight weight and do eccentric pressing, or long pauses on the bottom. You can also purchase a sling shot and use that tool in training in a variety of ways. Over the last few years I have seen a trend of something that is a little bothersome. At times, people seem to have forgotten why these implements were invented. They were not invented or placed in your training to give you “PR’s” to blast on social media. These tools were developed to help you train to become stronger and better. Too often, I see folks trying to use the tools in a fashion to go as heavy as possible. For example, a reverse band bench with 700 lbs while wearing a slingshot doesn’t equate to a 650 raw bench. We need to go back to the basics of working as hard as we can in the gym and not using these tools to boost our egos. For some people this could be a huge slap in the face or you may disagree. But in order to get stronger you need to do things that will be difficult.Rethink your training. If you are using implements to aid your training, make sure they are not making your training easier. Use these tools to make your training harder. Not worrying about if you can post a PR on YouTube. For instance, let’s say you have a goal to bench 400lbs raw. I would use the sling shot in a variety of ways to help you get there. Not too post lifts of benching 500 with a sling shot, that doesn’t assist you as effectively. Here are some suggestions I would focus on to reach a raw bench goal. Every heavy bench day I would work with sets of 400lbs in a sling shot for reps. Maybe use the sling shot for eccentric pressing with 400lbs. Or use the sling shot to do a long pause on the chest with your desired weight. Remember, use these tools to strengthen your weak areas and make your strong areas stronger. These implements are out there to help you in training to reach your goals; not to write down a PR in a log book that doesn’t matter.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot

ADRIAN LARSEN