The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

Adrian's Training log 600@220

How I got started benching
    So I am going take ya back to when I started to bench. First off I had two horrible experinces growing up trying to workout. First one I was about 7 years old. I saw a video of Hulk Hogan and I thought man I want to be as big as him. So I thought it would be a good idea to get the two milk jugs in the fridge empty them out and fill them with water. Common sense to a 7 year old is milk weighs less than water. DUH!
    So I filled them up went outside and started lifting them in all different angles. It wasnt long before my Mom looked out side and saw me lifting these realized what I had done and she may or may not have whooped my butt.

My second exposure came at about 10 years old. I was with my dad. He had a weight bench in the garage. I asked him if I could use it. He said, "No." Yea ok dad. As soon as he left and went inside the house I loaded the bar laid down and tried to bench. Well the bar came down to my chest and I couldnt move. I had to scream for help after several attempts at trying to move it. My dad ran out and lifted the bar off of me. I may or may not have gotten my butt whooped.

So here I am entering middle school two very bad experinces with lifting and I find out that I have to take a lifting class instead of P.E. I just had a surgery my last of 18 and I would be in a wheel chair for most of the year. Not only do I not want to lift but I dont want to be in a wheel chair. So first day in class I kind of just watched everyone and what they were doing. There was basically a Lat pull down, tricep pushdown rack, smith bench press, and a leg press machine with a dip bar behind it. The instructor was a fat bald know it all coach. A friend of mine dared to see how much I could bench. Of course I am not super bright I laid down and started to bench pretty close to my max with no warm up no work up sets. Just go heavy. I did way more than anyone else. I only did like 225lbs or something similar. Pretty good for a 12 year old.

The teacher pulled me aside after class and said I dont want to see you do anything like that again. You are not impressive and you will never bench more than me. (He only benched 315lbs on a smith machine for one.) Now back than that was impressive to me now it is not. The teacher went on to say that I need to follow the program and no worry about my max bench.....

Later that day I told my Mom what had happened. I told her I was mad that someone said I cant do something I know I can do. She told me the most valuable thing I needed to hear. PROVE HIM WRONG.

Through out the year I worked as hard as I could. I had no idea what I was doing but I worked my tail off. Towards the end of the year I was easily benching 225lbs for 10 and thought it was time to try 315lbs. I waited until the teacher was distracted loaded the smith machine and a buddy standing by and pressed it. Fuck ya I did it. The teacher came over becuase several students began to make a big deal about it. The teacher asked me did you do that. I said, "Yes." He asked me to do it again in disbelief. I cranked out another rep. Eat that you fat P.O.S is what I was thinking but didnt say. He said good job and walked away. I knew that I defeated him.

Going through 8th grade and starting high school I lifted all the time. And I love it. And to this day I think just before a big lift someone there at the gym doesnt think I can do this and that is what helps push me to get better.
    Last edited by chris mason; 10-14-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!