The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Adrian's Training log 600@220

How I got started benching
    So I am going take ya back to when I started to bench. First off I had two horrible experinces growing up trying to workout. First one I was about 7 years old. I saw a video of Hulk Hogan and I thought man I want to be as big as him. So I thought it would be a good idea to get the two milk jugs in the fridge empty them out and fill them with water. Common sense to a 7 year old is milk weighs less than water. DUH!
    So I filled them up went outside and started lifting them in all different angles. It wasnt long before my Mom looked out side and saw me lifting these realized what I had done and she may or may not have whooped my butt.

My second exposure came at about 10 years old. I was with my dad. He had a weight bench in the garage. I asked him if I could use it. He said, "No." Yea ok dad. As soon as he left and went inside the house I loaded the bar laid down and tried to bench. Well the bar came down to my chest and I couldnt move. I had to scream for help after several attempts at trying to move it. My dad ran out and lifted the bar off of me. I may or may not have gotten my butt whooped.

So here I am entering middle school two very bad experinces with lifting and I find out that I have to take a lifting class instead of P.E. I just had a surgery my last of 18 and I would be in a wheel chair for most of the year. Not only do I not want to lift but I dont want to be in a wheel chair. So first day in class I kind of just watched everyone and what they were doing. There was basically a Lat pull down, tricep pushdown rack, smith bench press, and a leg press machine with a dip bar behind it. The instructor was a fat bald know it all coach. A friend of mine dared to see how much I could bench. Of course I am not super bright I laid down and started to bench pretty close to my max with no warm up no work up sets. Just go heavy. I did way more than anyone else. I only did like 225lbs or something similar. Pretty good for a 12 year old.

The teacher pulled me aside after class and said I dont want to see you do anything like that again. You are not impressive and you will never bench more than me. (He only benched 315lbs on a smith machine for one.) Now back than that was impressive to me now it is not. The teacher went on to say that I need to follow the program and no worry about my max bench.....

Later that day I told my Mom what had happened. I told her I was mad that someone said I cant do something I know I can do. She told me the most valuable thing I needed to hear. PROVE HIM WRONG.

Through out the year I worked as hard as I could. I had no idea what I was doing but I worked my tail off. Towards the end of the year I was easily benching 225lbs for 10 and thought it was time to try 315lbs. I waited until the teacher was distracted loaded the smith machine and a buddy standing by and pressed it. Fuck ya I did it. The teacher came over becuase several students began to make a big deal about it. The teacher asked me did you do that. I said, "Yes." He asked me to do it again in disbelief. I cranked out another rep. Eat that you fat P.O.S is what I was thinking but didnt say. He said good job and walked away. I knew that I defeated him.

Going through 8th grade and starting high school I lifted all the time. And I love it. And to this day I think just before a big lift someone there at the gym doesnt think I can do this and that is what helps push me to get better.
    Last edited by chris mason; 10-14-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Weight Cut

Weight Cut
    I was asked recently to do a write up on the program I am doing to cut from 277lbs to 220lbs in about 4 months. First off everything here is stuff that I played with to see how it fit for my life style and my body. I am not saying this will work for you and you should use this article as my experinces.

How it started- About a year ago I told some of my training partners that I would cut at some point to 220lbs. They were supportive at first however, as time went on and I stayed at 275lbs they lost hope. I always thought the strongest lifters were at 275 or above so that is where I need to be. I was wrong. I made the choice to finally make a run at 242lbs. I told peopl at the gym they laughed and said I will pay you money to get to 242lbs. If you know me at all I need people to think I cant do it. I love that shit. Previously I began to Carb Backload but I would back load everynight I didnt want fast results. But with so much doubt I changed it up and began to follow backloading as intended. ( Which if you havnt atleast read an article on backloading I suggest you do)

I made a quick drop from 277lbs to 260 in about 2 1/2 weeks mostly to cutting beer out and simply uping my water. One thing I have always enjoyed was a cold dark beer after training and then again on the weekend. Welll it wast helping so I cut it out. If you want somthing bad enough you will SACRIFACE.

So I am sitting at 260lbs with about 2 weeks before the comp I need to be 242lbs. Time to turn it up. I eventually worked down to about 253lbs and cut 11lbs in the sauna easily. Made it. All the guys that doubted me I did it. I choose at this point I would make another cut to 220lbs now. After weigh ins at 242 I ate and ate and ate some more. 24 hours later I was back to 260lbs and that is what I competed at. HAHA not fair for 242lbs weight class.

Cutting to 220lbs I had to really cut back on somethings. I usaully killed the food on training nights and the backloading program. But now I needed a little faster results I was 260 and had 7 weeks to mae 220lbs.

So I made sure my carb intake on training nights stayed up high but I was still eating good food. What is crazy is this was all done with zero cardio. I didnt do any.

A week out from the meet I was sitting at about 234lbs So the week of this is what I did to cut 14lbs.

The weekend prior I picked a day and all day I ate whatever whenever I wanted. I really was prob 240lbs after that weekend. Sunday night I started to up my water from 1 gallon per day to 3 gallons per day. Monday I cut out 80% of carbs and eat super clean. By Wednesday zero carbs and water was running through me about every 7 mins. Low to no sodium intake. Wed Night eat dinner a little earlier. I had one chicken breast dry with a dry salad. This was the last meal.

Thursday I drank 64oz of water by 9am and then stopped all water and zero food. By Thursday night I was sitting at 229lbs at 9pm. I hit the sauna with Chris Duffin we were both about the same. I had a great first session lasting about 35mins but after that 10 mins I was getting light headed. After the first session I was sitting at 226lbs. After a hand full of sessions I had to go get some sleep. I was sitting at 222lbs. At 7am I woke up and hit the steam room for one 15min session and called it good.

I drove to weigh ins at 9am and was at 99.9kilos 220lbs.

Here is a normal day of meals

5am - Coffee heavy cream and protien

11am- Turkey / Almonds or almond butter

1pm- Protien

2pm- Cottage cheese

4pm- Workout

7pm- Opticean post workout shake with BCAA's

7:30pm game on eat eat eat.

Im telling ya this was really simple and easy to follow. I will stay at 220lbs now until Ibench 600 raw.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting

Goal setting

In our gym we have posters up that people write stuff on. Including goals. The typical board shows a 20lbs increase in each lift as a goal. Then you come across mine. My goal is to bench 2768lbs. Probably never going to happen. But that is a goal. A few years ago I set a goal to bench 700lbs. After I reached that I sat back and asked whats next. Do I set a goal of 800? 900? No you set something that will keep you going for a long time. I didnt become complasent. But the fire to reach 700 was over.

We set goals for ourselves in just about every aspect in life. Anything from job, relationships, financial, kids education shit even how many fish you wanna catch on the weekend. Now if your reading this and your setting a goal to go to the gym 3 times this week. Probably stop reading go sit on the couch and watch re-runs of the Golden Girls. This is much more than just planning a time to workout. This is seperating your self from the rest to make you the best possible. To drive yourself to be the best. The next time you sit down and set goals for yourself I hope that you shoot for the moon. Go big. Go for an all-time record, go for what others would think is impossible. Do something no one else does.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Good luck with this goal! Looking forward to see you nailing it!

Thx buddy
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Quote Originally Posted by Rock1984 View Post
    Good luck with this goal! Looking forward to see you nailing it!
    No luck required..
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Randal View Post
    No luck required..

Thanks Justin I appreciate it.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

I'd say good luck tomorrow but luck is for the unprepared!!

Now go show em how we do it here at AtLarge tomorrow homie!!!!
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

10/27/12

Today I went to fitness 101 in Lincoln city the owners Richard and his wife are two amazing people and they have a fantastic gym. Unfortunately they went out of town so I couldn't spend anytime with them but I did get a good back workout In.

Shrugs 3x30

Lat pulls 3x15

Bent over rows 120lbs 3x6

Pull-ups 2x15

Rear delt work 3x12

Grip work 3x30

Hammer curls 3x10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=713PX0O4ITM&sns=em

Now I took a vid of the rear delt exercise for Dorsey Reeves he had a question on what effective things he could do to get his rear delt some work. I weighed 224 lbs today I think 198 is a possibility and may take it on. I have taking this whole week off and getting back into the gym felt good not as strong as I wanted but a good Saturday morning session at the Oregon coast.
    Last edited by larsen540; 10-27-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Go big

I have received a few questions lately that I wanted to address on my log.

First question is about alcohol consumption. Here is the deal with alcohol and training if you ask yourself how is this going to benefit me and you can't say anything good. Then don't do it. If staying up till 2 am drinkin is more important than hitting your next PR then your priorities are messed up. Always ask how does what I do help me get stronger.

Another question or more of a comment I wish I had your genetics. Let me make something very clear I didn't get to where I am from genetics I have worked my ass off everytime I set foot inside the gym. I monitor my sleep supplement intake food intake and try to dial everything in to maximize my results. It is silly to say you want someone's genetics.

Last one. How do you get to a mindset of never losing. This is a little more tricky mindset training is hard and takes alot of time getting I down. The best example I have is micheal Jordan losing to the pistons in 1990 and 91 after he lost to them In the playoffs mj started to cry and said these guys will never beat me again. And sure shit they never did. He had the mindset that every game he was going to win. This is the same In powerlifting. The most important thing is do not be one comfortable losing. Once you become comfortable getting second place you have lost the drive. You should get a feeling In your stomach when you lose that is what will help you fuel the fire in your training sessions.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

10/30/12

Shoulder day

Front raises

Side raises

Standing over head dumbell presses

Shrugs

Rear delt work

Hammer curls

I am going to focus on shoulders for the next several weeks I have had a little bit shoulder pain these last two weeks. So I am goin to train them by themselves for a couple of months and see if that helps.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

10/31/12

Triceps and a little bit of legs

Tricep pushdowns

JM presses

Tricep Hammers

Dips

Knee ext

Squats in leg machine

Everything felt great this was a very fast workout maybe took 50 mins need to get back on the CBL and get my diet back on point
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

11/2/12 back work

Had to burn off some steam so went Into my work gym and hit some back

Seated rows

High pulls

Pull ups

Bent over rows

Hammer curls

Rear delt work

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=UXRqpjZQIvA

Good workout feel good still feel like diet is way off I need to really get back to CBL now. 4 weeks away from WCO and need to be hitting six Hundy
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

11/6/12

Bench heavy

I have had a very screwed up week ok a few weeks now.. I am working to much and I just have way to much on my plate. So today I got in to the gym for a quick workout inbetween working 16 hours..

Bench worked up to 2 sets of 10 at 405lbs no spotter

I should have done a few more reps but didnt want to take any chances.

Standing over head dumbell presses

Pull ups

Tricep Ext.

All in all a good workout took about 60 mins maybe a little less. But everything felt good once I got going
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

11/8/12

I went to Nelsons I refuse to call it by the name the new owner wants it to be called. It is Nelsons and it will always be. I used to train here infact when I first started powerlifting I drove 25mins to this gym 3 days a week to train with some of the best guys. Now back then there was no talking back you did what you were told you got the job done. I used to love this place. I went back to this gym 10 years later and they have a new owner and the guy is a jack ass. But I live 5 mins from this gym and needed to get a quick workout in.

While I was working out I got a little fired up I had some stuff I was taking care of in my personal life and then some of the idiots that were working out just got the fire burning. This happens a few times a year and I am glad it happened.

Last vent then I will get to workout but I saw this little mid 20's 120lbs girl come down to the dumbells. A guy laid down on a bench and started benching 20lbs dumbells not sure what he was doing now she laid down next to him with 25 lbs dumbells I am just throwing this out there if I was the guy I would jump off a bridge. Why would you do something like that. Oh man

Workout

I kind of hit a bunch of things I felt good so I tore it up

Incline bench
    worked up to 405lbs for 4 sets of 10

Seated shoulder press
    4plates each side 2 sets of 20 one set of 15

Front raises
    worked up to 55lbs dumbells for 10

Lat pulls

face pulls

Shrugs

Hammer curls
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

What is the bottom line

You can read every magizine, fourm, newsletter what ever to find a workout method. The freaking bottom line is do the work. Be smart. There is so much more to lifting than just reading a new method. I am so tired of people selling methods that they are making up. I appreciate the fact that they are trying to get there name out there. But really cmon you dont have some secret that you are selling that is going to make some one an elite lifter. The bottom line is if the lifter does what they should which is train, be consistant, eat right, ice, rest, dont over train, and just simply bust your butt you will be successful.

People listen save your money dont waste it on a method that will be free in a year. Or something someone is trying to sell you a secret. Look at the west side method there is no secret there. All the information is in a book or online. You dont need to purchase there secret and it is by far the best training method alive. Louie has done a great job publishing free articles and getting his method out there. Now if you want to go more in depth and be an expert, do you have to buy a book sure. That makes sense. Does it make sense that someone would say I have a secret method send me your credit card info and I will send it to you. Every lifter has hit a PR. The only fucking reason anyone has hit a PR is becuase they are in the gym training. Shit cmon. Fuck this pisses me off I am getting fired up writing this.

Do your research look on line look at training logs of elite lifters ask questions if you have to but the bottom line is you do not need to focus on a method or spending money or worry about what ever some idiot is saying. Get into the gym be consistant train hard leave everything you got in the gym rest eat right and things will fall into place.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Variables

Variable. What variables play a part in you're training. I look at what I was projected to hit this training cycle and I am way off so why. My best raw bench is 575 raw at 275lbs bodyweight and about 555lbs In the gym and 535 is my best comp bench at 220lbs. That is only 47lbs off the all time record. So why am I not happy with that. Here is why when I say down and laid out my program I projected to be closer to 585 by this time going into the west coast open. But lets break down the variables. Hopefully this helps other people by understanding there is alot more involved In training than just lifting every week. First off the biggest issue is personal problems I have gone through shit the last 7 months that has kinda out a tilt In my world.
    How does that effect my training? Well I feel distracted at times and stressed out while I should be 100% focused. Another factor that plays a part from the stress is not following the carb back loading to a T. So that leaves the most important part of training your diet all jacked up.
    Now another important part is sleep. Now I have been forced to work alot of overtime. So that means less sleep less free time. Which leads to a little more stress. Finally being consistant with my training has been really up and down.
    When you put things In perspective and see I have cut 50 lbs of body fat and now I'm only 47 lbs from breaking a 30 year old all time raw record it seems like training hasn't been going all that bad. So the next time your training seems off a little look at the outside variables maybe that will shed some light on the question.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Adrian, I love your outlook and sound advice you put up in your log. Keep up the great work.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Thanks Brian I appreciate bro
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Early morning training 11/15/12

Today I woke up early and when in hit some back and shoulder and my least favorite shoulder pre injury work.

Bent over rows 5x10

Face pulls 3x10

Kennellys 3x10

Pull ups 3x10

Shoulder press dumbbells 3x30

Side raises 3x30
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by larsen540; 11-16-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

How do the "Kennellys" work?

Rock

I will post a vid how to do them great for shoulder mobility. I am sure there is a different name for them but that is what I call them
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Carb Back loading the difference between May and Now

Back in May I was rougly 277lbs. I kept at that weight for about 18 months. Before than I was sitting around 260lbs. Now I had mentioned one night at the gym that I was going to cut down to 242lbs sometime soon an everyone gave me shit. I have allready posted that story. I had been doing the CBL at that point but hadnt seen any changes. So I told everyone to kick a rock and I was going to prove em wrong. Well now I am sitting everyday at about 227lbs which makes an easy cut to 220lbs. I feel way better and I am still eating all the same things I ate before just at dfferent times. I have done zero cardio or anytype of training that would be considered cardio. I lift and lift heavy 3 to 4 days a week and that is it. Anyway here is the before and after CBL pic for from May to current.

Normal day of meals prior to CBL
    5am
    OPticean shake
    Coffee
    2 yogurts
    2 packets of oatmeal

noon
    string cheese
    2 sandwiches
    fruit

330pm
    chips/crackers
    Nitrean
    snacky food

post training
    Super high carb pasta/pizza
    beer
    opticean

Current meals on CBL
    Coffee - heavy whipping cream and Nitrean coffee flavor

10am - Nitrean

noon - String cheese
    cottage cheese
    meat

pretraining
    BCAA
    Nitrean
    Prework out drink

Post training
    Opticean
    And then whatever I want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Max bench training

Worked up to heavy single which didnt go as well as I wanted little bit of pain in my left front delt.

135x30
    225x20
    315x10
    405x8
    465x5
    This is where I made my mistake I made a big jump and tried to hold a long pause both hurt like hell
    540x1 miss x2

Horrible session but training and supps have been a bit inconsistant for the last two weeks really longer than that but that the last couple of weeks it has been bad.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting