Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok why is Mark Ripptoe squatting like this?

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

Ok why is Mark Ripptoe squatting like this?

Video

Why?
    Last edited by ThomasG; 07-22-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Ha- you know it is ALWAYS best to look down.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Hm, I noticed the looking down but what I noticed the most was that he seemed to start the movement with his knees. He advocates starting the movement with the hips always. Maybe he is initiating the movement with his hips but it just looks like his hips and knees are starting at the same time.

He's still strong as hell for his size (never seen him in person but he doesn't look very big)

Banned
    What's so very wrong with it?

He actually advises you break the knees first and then sit back, this prevents the knees from sliding forward at the bottom while under tension, which can cause hip flexor tendinitis. Also, doesn't form usually vary between 5rep squats and higher rep squats?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the form he advises? Pick a spot, stare at it, hips rise first, then back straightens?

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Just seems like he's gming... Again I'm asking a question...

Last edited by ThomasG; 07-23-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I'm no Rippetoe expert but I have his video series from years back and that's just how he squats and how he teaches it. To get the hips and shoulders rising at the same pace the back has to remain at the same angle relative to the hips (to a point) and yes it does look a touch like a GM.

Wannabebig Member
    To me it kinda looks like his knees are almost passing his toes in alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by SplitQuick View Post
    He advocates starting the movement with the hips always. Maybe he is initiating the movement with his hips but it just looks like his hips and knees are starting at the same time.
    He advocates breaking at the knees and hips simultaneously, with all forward knee travel occuring well before hitting depth.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Just seems like he's gming... Again I'm asking a question...
    His back angle never changes out of the hole. Not even close to GMing.

I used to be a big Rippetoe/Low bar style squatter. It's definitely not bad and you can gain a lot of strength.

Today, I squatted high bar with a more vertical back, allowing my knees to drift forward and pushed off the balls of my feet. The more vertical back angle felt better on my recently injured back. I could also get much deeper and could feel a better rebound out of the hole.

I am going to do a little strength cycle with high bar, instead of low bar, and see how it goes.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

that looks wrong. His head and upper back are already leaning forward quite a bit coming out of the whole, that will only get worse with heavier weight.

Banned
    I still don't see what's wrong this this. What are the concerns here?

If the bar is in the low position, then the body must be leaning forward for the bar to stay over the mid-foot.
    For this stance, style and bar position nothing untoward seems to be happening with his knees.
    He's not GMing at all, but he does have good hip drive. On one of his coaching vids he makes the lifter emphasize the bounce at the bottom.

There are always going to be subtle differences in the way people squat. What do you think he should be doing?

Looks good to me!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I don't really see anything wrong other than that dumb looking down stuff.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What's with the elbows cranked back? Look how far back his elbows are in the hole. That's the only thing I would question -- Everything else he has reason for.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

He's still strong as hell for his size (never seen him in person but he doesn't look very big)
    Hmmm...He looks pretty big to me. You can tell he's got some muscle under that flab. Perhaps you are just used to looking at guys that are "chiseled."
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    What's with the elbows cranked back? Look how far back his elbows are in the hole. That's the only thing I would question -- Everything else he has reason for.
    His elbows are pretty much flush w. his upper body and remain in that position throughout. Nothing wrong w. that and he's not exactly a youngster - I'm sure he's lost some shoulder flexibility over the years.

I'm not a big fan of the looking down thing either, but Coach Rippetoe has his reasons and they are fully detailed in SS. His section on squat technique is a must-read for anyone serious about squatting.

My opinion on the head positioning thing (FWIW): http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/02/...-in-squat.html
    ...and elbow positioning: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2010/02/...squatting.html
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

I believe he's something like 5'9 and weighs in the low 200's. Not that small.

Good lord people... The guy wrote a book on strength training that has become an instant classic, is a great coach, and everyone here is nitpicking to death a video of him training. I wonder how many of you will be so decorated and still squatting so well in your fifties...
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-25-2010 at 08:11 PM.

I remember when Dr Ken posted a video of himself squatting over 400 lbs for more than 20 reps in his late fourties. Everybody kept picking apart his form too. Sad.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Eh, I pride myself on having damned good form... But... If you can squat down below parallel and move the weight up, aren't you doing what you're trying to do? Sure, a more technically sound lift could help your numbers... But a good squat is a good squat.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I remember when Dr Ken posted a video of himself squatting over 400 lbs for more than 20 reps in his late fourties. Everybody kept picking apart his form too. Sad.
    There is a video exactly like the one posted, only with Rip squatting 405x5 very recently. He's still pretty strong for a guy in his 50's that isn't even trying to be a competitive lifter.

His form looks good to me. But even if I didn't think so, I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Banned
    I find that there is less stress on my back if I keep my head at a 45 degree angle. If you think about it, its the only angle that can possibly keep your spine neutral throughout the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Good lord people... The guy wrote a book on strength training that has become an instant classic, is a great coach, and everyone here is nitpicking to death a video of him training. I wonder how many of you will be so decorated and still squatting so well in your fifties...
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I echo your sentiments. I hope to still be squatting at 40 or 50 and if I can do it with weights like that I will be a very, very happy man.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.