Thread: this goes against what i have heard

Wannabebig New Member

this goes against what i have heard

so i graduated high school this past spring and as with any graduating class there are a few that go into the military. now the guys i knew that were similar to me, slim lean build, and they played sports their entire high school career, that went into the armed forces have put on a significant amount of muscle mass in just a few months. so i got to talking to them on how they got bigger...every one of them said they ate a crap ton of food, which you have to to be able to get anywhere on a muscle building endeavor, but they said their workouts were everyday multiple times a day with nothing complex. pushups, pull ups, chin ups, sit ups, bench press, couple different things with dumbells, running. but they pound the crap out of their bodies every single day. everything i ever read about getting big says your body needs time to recover. so how are they able to do this and get the results that they are? any input or suggestions are welcome...maybe we can all benefit from looking into this

Any chance of getting a pic so we can see how "big" they are?

I don't think pushups and pullups etc would be as demanding on your body as a full weights routine with bench/squat/dead etc, so they can likely do them every day but I can't see it being optimal. Plus for all we know they might go all out one day then feel fatigued the next and end up doing half the amount of volume they were doing the previous day

Don't really know too much about the reasoning behind it but without having more detail on what they do or the level of development they've got to then hard to say more

Quote Originally Posted by jbracing4b View Post
    ...maybe we can all benefit from looking into this
    lol. Because nobody's ever thought of this before.

The body can adapt to pretty intensive training and get larger and stronger- hell, look at a lot of manual laborers- look at some of these craftsmen with forearms like 4x4's.

For OPTIMAL gains, you need recovery. I agree with greemah, let's see how "huge" these guys are.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Because a lot of guys that join the military never did any sort of a real resistance based training system in their life and they did not eat enough. Not to mention a lot of them still have maturing bodies. If you incorporate such a program and have never done it before then of course you will again a bit of muscle, but they aren't going to keep gaining with basic training sort of stuff. You get some initial gains and then that is it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Almost anything works for a beginner, particularly at that age. Puberty/adolesence is like a natural steroid cycle.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm in the military and I still see a shitload of people with a "slim lean build." I don't see many "big" people. The military prioritizes cardio first...PT tests are running and calisthenics. Cardio isn't conducive to building muscle like resistance training with recovery.
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"
    - Jón Páll Sigmarsson, World's Strongest Man Champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1990)

5'7", 200lbs

Gym / Competition Lifts - all unequipped
    435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs
    Federations Lifted In: PRIDE Powerlifting (now defunct), AAPF/AWPC, USAPL, WABDL

Quote Originally Posted by Yosh86 View Post
    I'm in the military and I still see a shitload of people with a "slim lean build." I don't see many "big" people. The military prioritizes cardio first...PT tests are running and calisthenics. Cardio isn't conducive to building muscle like resistance training with recovery.
    Is the quote in your sig suppose to be ironic, or is it serendipitous? (Sigmarsson died deadlifting).
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmor6 View Post
    Is the quote in your sig suppose to be ironic, or is it serendipitous? (Sigmarsson died deadlifting).
    I'm a fan of deadlifting and it is my favorite lift. Of the old videos of Jon Pall that I've seen, I see him as a great strength athlete and like his quote. I've watched his documentary "Larger than Life" so I have watched his biography but haven't really thought of the irony of the quote. Either way, it is a bad ass quote.

http://youtu.be/ZWUcHKAj_tc
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"
    - Jón Páll Sigmarsson, World's Strongest Man Champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1990)

5'7", 200lbs

Gym / Competition Lifts - all unequipped
    435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs
    Federations Lifted In: PRIDE Powerlifting (now defunct), AAPF/AWPC, USAPL, WABDL

Wannabebig New Member
    im not saying they got huge but for lifting all through high school and then just a few months of training and they made bigger gains in that short amount of time than id say about three years of year round football training. ill have to see if my one friend will mind if i show u guys how much he gained. he got into the para rescuers and was about 150 from the time he was 16 til he graduated at 18. saw him last week and he is up to 200. said he lost a little bit of weight from the survival training a few weeks ago in the southwest. the other people i know averaged about 20 to 30 lb gains. granted they started their training before graduation, but still... i have a hard time gaining 5 lbs every two months.. and im careful about what i eat, how much i sleep, my weight training, and supplementation. maybe im missing something in my formula. i mean theres always room for improvement. and im a welder and fabricator so my job consists of me doing a lot of manual labor, i have noticed my back and shoulders get stronger since i started that job full time about a year ago

Anadrol powder in the powdered milk...??? Haha

Seriously, i suppose it comes down to what you consider 'big'. I've never seen a big dude in the military... not the actual running around/hiking/packing/shooting guns part ov the military anyways. You will develop good solid quality muscle with that kind ov overuse though... just look at olympic weightlifters. They train much the same way... day in, day out, no break, no escape... like a job. They've got some serious leg, back and shoulder development... but they're not generally 'huge'. Those muscle groups NEVER get a chance to even begin to recover... yet they grow. I'm sure they feed you very well in the military... something a LOT ov "serious" weight-trainers or would-be football stars could learn from.

All the same, there are very few 'big' Crossfit guys out there either. Some savagely fit guys, and some serious quality musculature, but you just dont see a lot ov 'big' at the high level (Crossfit Games). Then again... to your average Joe, a 170lb 5'10" guy thats muscular is "big" these days... Hah!

Wannabebig New Member
    i mean look at sprinters as well. they run every day putting maximum effort into every rep (step) they take after a warm up jog or whatever their warmup routine is. and if you would do the math thats a lot of freakin reps, their leg muscles get a lot bigger than a distance or marathon runner

^--They're not big from sprinting.

during my army training i actually lost about 10lb in afew months, but i had afew years of training behind me. everyone else seemed to be getting a little bigger and fitter but very few, if any, actually had any training exp, or ate enough good food in civilian life. then ofcourse there are few opportunities to drink alcohol, and recreational drugs where no longer in the picture. the amount of running and loaded marches we were doing, and only 3 meals per day... theres just no way you can get 'big'. year or so later afew of us starting using AAS and that made a big difference, but then our fitness began to suffer rapidly and people were starting to ask questions... haha
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485