The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

question on form when doin squats

Squats (narrow stance, deep):

I read this while I was lookin through Chris Mason's journal. I was wondering what would be the best stance while doin squats, I always thought to go relatively wide, and that's what most people preach. So, what does the narrow approach do different then wide, if anything?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Simplistic
    The narrow stance involves less hams and glutes and more quads. I usually go about shoulder width. I suppose it just depends on your preference.

I like wide stance, it allows for better balance, maybe just for me cuz I'm tall, but it's just what I prefer.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

I like a rather wide stance, feet facing forward, going down to around parallel. I feel this throughout my quads, hamstrings, and glutes.

MS

Depends on a host of factors, and your goals.

A closer stance will take your hips out of it (make it more of a quad lift). It also requires more flexibility.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter much. Chris is at a pretty high level of development, what he's doing may or may not be appropriate for you. (and at his level of development, some of these small things like squat stance DO matter to him)

My advice to most (assuming you are a beginner to intermediate lifter), is squat how you are comfortable, how you are strongest, and how you get the most ROM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.