The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Is tuna OK as an alternative for a post work out shake?

Unfortunately, I don't use suppliments like many of you do... And I was wondering if tuna is a good alternative to a post work out meal.

Generally, I have two tuna sandwiches off of one can of tuna. Usually w/ about 1 1/2 scoops of mayo. And the bread is pretty thick... like 1 slice of this bread is nearly equivelant to 2 slices of Wonderbread and the likes.

I don't bring any food w/ me to the gym, so I have to wait until I get back home before I can put something in my stomach.

I figure the protein in the tuna is what I'm looking for... anyone have thoughts on other alternatives that I should look at?

Thanks
    bj22hm

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First of all, are you having a tuna sandwich as your "post workout shake"? The reason whey is so good post workout is because it gets absorbed so fast. Tuna is slow absorbing, so it is not what you want post workout. If you are having the bread post workout as your carbs then that is another mistake. You need high GI carbs after the WO. Dextrose and maltodextrin are best.

Also, i forgot to mention that the mayo is a bad decision overall. First imo mixing carbs and fat in meals is a bad decision, and secondly you will slow the absorption of the protein even more by increasing fat

Wannabebig Member
    Damn, I guess I'm doing everything wrong here... The problem is, I can't/won't take any of the stuff that you mention. I dunno why, as much as I'd like to... money prohibits it, and I'm no sure of another reason, I guess I'd just like to be natural w/o 'extra' help.

So what do you recommend I use other than dextrose, matodextrin, and whey? How about some bananas?

I'm seriously stumped here.

bj22hm

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    There is no substitute for food. I learned this lesson a few months ago when I ran out of post-workout powdered mummy and I had to eat real food instead of drink it. Results? I ahd better gains, my muscles felt better in the morning, I was less sore despite incresing lifts, and I recovered a bit faster. But maybe I'm the only one who benifits from eating food.
    What is the best supplement for weight gain? Food. WHat is the best supplement for fat loss? Food. Its very versatile. Powder is a convenience issue. Its useful stuff, btu I'll take a sandwich and a glass of pepsi any day.

Dont listen to Clark's communist agit-prop bullshit. Tuna is fine post workout, eat some sugary **** along with it and you'll be just fine as long as what you eat is eaten IMMEDIATELY after workout. The body's prime time after workout is about 40 minutes, and anything you eat in those 40 minutes to an hour is going to be absorbed and used quickly. The whey is absorbed faster yes, but a tuna sandwich is real food.

Eat a tuna sandwich, no mayo(perhaps light miracle whip or fat free mayo) a couple bananas, and you will have 80 grams of carbs, 40 fast and 40 slow, and almost 45 grams of protein, with very little fat.

How do i know this? Experience. Food is the best. Bodybuilders ate real food post workout for years until some genius decided to put food in a glass.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Budiak you might be being a little harsh. Clark isn't wrong, but your argument isn't bad either. Even after reading that I'd still take a lab shake for the fastest absorbtion after a workout than food.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

i wouldn't even consider whey a supplement. if you dont even want to take malto or dextrose then you will be missing out big time on gains IMO. i guess white bread and eggs might be a good choice if you must eat food.
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

Banned
    I think Budiak has it spot-on. Whey is a convenience, not a requirement. Food is food, for the most part, and your body will use anything you can give it.

That said, I'll also second the notion of subbing lowfat/nonfat salad dressing for mayo. You might also want to look at bread that is whole wheat/12 grain/etc... something that's brown and chewy as opposed to white and fluffy.

Definitely bring the food with you to the gym so you can eat ASAP afterwards. Bananas are good, Fresh pineapple is also good for you.

I personally think that whey is superior "post-workout". Sure real food is great...but it's not like whey is some alien substance from another planet. It along with a few other things that can easily be added into a shake are exactly what your body craves after a workout. And are absorbed quickly, and are convenient.

I am not a big supplement junky, but I don't have an aversion to a shake. Protein is protein, as long as it's a complete protein your body will use it as required. Sure there are other things in real food...so I eat real food...but postworkout it's easiest to down a shake for me.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

:withstupi
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Blue veined member !
    Quote : If you are having the bread post workout as your carbs then that is another mistake. You need high GI

White bread is high on the GI ! but i agree on dextrose being better.
    Last edited by Hellrazor; 06-25-2002 at 01:42 PM.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Wannabebig Member
    Another newbie question: What is GI?

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    By whatsisnuts
    postworkout it's easiest to down a shake for me.

HA! Convenience has made you fat and decadent.

Whey IS an alien substance, it appeared on earth at the same time starfish,worms, and penguins appeared. Its unnatural. Dont trust it.

Oh btw I drink a liquid protein postworkout, but I dont think its better than food. Its just easier.

And yes, I am fat and extremely decadent.

Just thought i'd mention this: In the past there were several rather famous bodybuilders who believed the whole protein shake thing was just a fad and prefered 6-8 proper straight meals a day. I don't even think they ate a meal straight after training either.

I believe (now i'm not totally positive here, but i believe) two of them were Frank Zane and Mike Mentzer.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by bj22hm
    Another newbie question: What is GI?
    Glycemic Index.

It refers to how quickly or slowly your body takes to break down the carbs.

High GI foods: White Rice, Potatoes, Noodles

Low GI foods: Brown Rice, Oatmeal
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Although I side entirely with Clark on this issue that whey + malto/dext is the best combo for post workout, I do also agree that real food should be eaten throughout the day and MRPs should be avoided if possible. As to the original question I read a study on this about two weeks ago that dealt with muscle growth and post workout nutrition and the best gains were achieved through high GI carbs immediately following the workout or sipped throughout the workout. Since you don't want to use malto/dext or protein powder my advice is to bring a sports drink to the gym and sip that in your workout and then eat a meal when you get home or better yet at the gym. If you're not eating high GI carbs with fast absorbing protein then there isn't much point to a "post workout" meal, because it won't differ from your other meals.

I'm not trying to say Budiak is incorrect, but he came down ridiculously hard on Clark, who other than the mistake that Hellrazor corrected him on, was entirely correct. The primetime for food consumption to see post workout benefit is IMMEDIATELY following the workout or during the end of the workout. I'm uncertain where Budiak came up with the 40 minute figure which I don't agree with at all unless he means 40 minutes from the start of the workout in which case it's true. That's the entire point of eating food that is absorbed rapidly and creates an insulin surge.

Wannabebig Member
    OK... from what I understand, Post workout meal = important as sleep. However, it has to be protein that will be absorbed relatively quickly. What are foods with proteinthat I can eat that will absorb quickly into my body to give me some results?

Only off the top of my head is bananas, and tofu (me no like tofu, but I'll eat it if i have to! hehe. hell, I'm asian I should!)

no protein in a banana dude.

Wannabebig Member
    I've been eating ONLY real foods for the past 4 months.

Why?

GNC is over 2 hours away, and the local supermarket doesn't have any shakes.

Honestly, it sucks. I'm going to college next year, and there are plenty of places to stock up on MRPs up there.

I hate to hijack a thread, but does anyone have any suggestions for MRPs that I could toss in my plan? For the most part, I've been eating 3 cans of tuna a day, with some oat bran type cereal and pasta in the evening. I want to start getting some MRPs, but I don't know what I should shoot for. I am bulking right now, and I plan on bulking until I hit 200. (6'3 165lb atm)