The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Hey whatsup everyone? I am brand new to this post just came over from MuscleMag.com. I decided to post my entire TKD experience with my results and how the diet went and everything like that. I am 17 years old, 5'11", 225 lbs., I dont know my BF% but I know its WAY too high I can see my abs barely, my chest and abs need a hell of a lot of work. I will be eating around 2500-2750 calories a day, around 100-150g protein, under 100g carbs (30-40 preworkout and 40-50 postworkout) on training days and under 15g carbs on non-training days, and around 175-200g fat. Today is my first day of the diet - I have tried Ketogenic diets a few times before but couldnt stay on them but now that I am posting I will be able to I think. Any replies on what will help me acheive faster results will be greatle appreciated... Ill be doing 30 minutes low intenstiy cardio first thing in the morning and doing a high-volume training approach (I have tried done low-volume high-intensity hundreds of times and it has never worked for me) I will be cycling thermogenics as follows - Day 1> Adipokinetix + 1g Tyrosine 2x Day 2> BetaLean HP 2x Day 3> Phen-Free 2x. And taking 10g creatine and 10g glutamine with my postworkuot carb shake. Thats about it... any replies on how to get faster results PLEASE let me know ASAP. Peace. [B]

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I am going to post a reply at the end of the day today on how my training and diet went for the first day of my TKD. Hopefully everything will be all right with my TKD and results will be good.

I completely binged the past few days and thats why I have not started my TKD until today... I have no self-control at all I feel like such a complete joke. I binged with my girlfriend on a bunch of HORRIBLE food like Burger King and didnt workout and just completely blew everything. I feel more fat today then ever... Stomach is TOTALLY flabby and chest is HORRIBLE... I am going to try 100% today it seems like if I can make the the first few days I am fine for the duration of the diet. Anyone that can give me some tips it would be great thanks. Later.

WHAT THE HELL!???

I cannot stay on a d*mn diet if my life depended on it! J*SUS CHR1ST I seriously am just so mad at myself. Yesterday binged on crap food like ice cream and all this bullsh*t I just cant believe it. I must have NO self control or motivation or discipline or anything. Yesterday was a disaster but today I WILL START AND I WILL STAY ON IT!!!

SUNDAY, MAY 13, 2001
    TKD DAY 1

CARDIO.
    30' stationery bike first thing in the morning on an empty stomach - 30 minutes after taking BetaLean HP - following by 3 sets of high-rep leg extensions

HOURS OF SLEEP: 7.5 hrs. - need more sleep tonight

NUTRITION.
    Total (g) Protein: 109g
    Total (g) Carbs: 55g (49g postworkout high glycemic)
    Total (g) Fat: 205g
    Total Calories: 2625

SORENESS: none

SUPPLEMENTS: BetaLean HP 2x, 10g creatine + 10g glutamine postworkout with carbs - 6mg. melatonin before bed

TRAINING. BACK, CALVES.
    Wide-grip Front Chins (bodyweight) 8x7x7x6x5
    Bent Reverse-grip EZ Bar Rows 175x10; 195x8; 205x6
    Close-grip Pulldowns 120x10; 140x8; 150x6
    (supersetted with)
    Crossbench Dumbbell Pullovers 70x8; 70x7; 70x6
    Seated Close-grip Cable Rows 140x10; 160x8; 170x6
    Standing Smith Calf Raises 250x15; 300x20; 330x10
    Seated Calf Raises 250x25; 300x20; 350x15
    Leg Press Calf Raises 650x15; 740x12; 830x8
    (worked forearms constantly throughout the day with non-weight hand exercises)

WATER: good intake throughout the day

WORKOUT: went well really tore up my lats and rhomboids completely especially with bent rows and wide grip chins. Back felt very exausted afterwards. Calves really taken to the limit with all 3 exercises. Really burnt out calves completely.

Felt good all day long really great way to start off my TKD. Need to keep up DISCIPLINE and self control to really stick to this type of diet and training program 100%.

You sure eat a lot of fat compared to carbs and protein. Trying to gain lots of weight?

Mystic Eric
    hey, are you on one of those crazy high fat low carb diets? even if you are, how come you're not getting at least 1 gram/pound of body weight for protein?tuttut
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 05-14-2001 at 12:08 AM.

Whatsup? Yeah I am doing a diet called a TKD (Targeted Ketogenic Diet) which is basically a high-fat, moderate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. On training days I will eat a small about of simply sugars post-workout to help with recovery and to hold onto my muscle.

I am not sure about a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight... I know that from everything I have ever read about a TKD with enough fat you dont need that much protein at all. It is supposed to be a 75% fat and 20-25% protein and 0-5% carb diet. I may be wrong I am not 100% positive about anything. I will keep you posted on how my results go though.

I am not trying to gain lots of weight at all. I am doing a high fat but no carb which means I am going for definition and cuts not bulk. I will keep posting everything daily. Peace.

MONDAY, MAY 14, 2001
    TKD DAY 2

CARDIO.
    30' stationery bike first thing in the morning on an empty stomach - 30 minutes after taking Adipokinetix + 1g Tyrosine - following by 3 sets of high-rep leg extensions

HOURS OF SLEEP: 7 hrs. - need more sleep tonight

NUTRITION.
    Total (g) Protein: 150g
    Total (g) Carbs: 56g (48g postworkout high glycemic)
    Total (g) Fat: 179g
    Total Calories: 2540

SORENESS: outer lats, mid-back, upper traps, calves, soleus, outer chest a little bit

SUPPLEMENTS: Adipokinetix + 1g Tyrosine 2x, 10g creatine + 10g glutamine postworkout with carbs - 6mg. melatonin before bed

TRAINING. CHEST, FOREARMS.
    Incline Barbell Presses 175x10; 190x8; 205x4
    Decline Dumbbell Presses 80x8; 80x7; 90x5
    Flat Dumbbell Flys 50x9; 55x8; 60x6
    Incline Dumbbell Flyes 40x10; 45x8; 50x6
    (supersetted with)
    Cable Crossovers 40x10; 40x11; 40x12
    Seated Barbell Wrist Curls 75x40; 85x35; 95x30
    Seated Reverse Barbell Wrist Curls 55x40; 65x30; 75x25
    Dumbbell Twists 25x25; 35x12; 40x10

WATER: good intake throughout the day - ended up peeing a bunch of times today because of carb-depletion - didnt feel all that depleted though muscle wise

WORKOUT: WORST F*CKING CHEST WORKOUT EVER! Chest was a little bit sore from Dumbbell Pullovers yesterday so I figured that I was fine but obviously not. Strength on EVERY single exercise was down. Every press and fly exercise that I did was WAY down. Chest got NO pump at all... was just totally WEAK. I was so ****ed I just couldnt believe how weak and just horrible my workout went. My pec workouts are always my best workouts strength, pump, everything. Forearms were worked real well though. Great burn and feeling of exaustion afterwards. Vascularity and definiton in forearms was incredible during Dumbbell Twists. Went very heavy on twists with low reps after high-rep wrist curls. Forearms really hammered.

Felt okay today a little sleepy throughout the day need to catch up tonight if I can. Chest workout really ****ed me off but cardio and meals and supplements everytihng right on target. As long as I really stick to diet and training program I think that I will really acheive some fast results as long as I get my chest strength up to par. Later.

TUESDAY, MAY 15, 2001
    TKD DAY 3

CARDIO.
    30' stationery bike first thing in the morning on an empty stomach - 30 minutes after taking Phen-Free - following by 3 sets of high-rep leg extensions

NUTRITION.
    Total (g) Protein: 158g
    Total (g) Carbs: 18g
    Total (g) Fat: 187g
    Total Calories: 2565

SORENESS: outer lats, mid-back, upper traps, calves, soleus, upper/inner/outer/lower chest all sore, inner forearms very sore.

SUPPLEMENTS: Phen-Free 2x, 6mg. melatonin before bed

TRAINING. REST. (abs)
    Seated Leg Tucks 15x15x15
    (supersetted with)
    Cable Crunches 150x15; 150x15; 150x15

WATER: good intake throughout the day - ended up peeing a bunch of times today because of carb-depletion - did good though overall water intake.

WORKOUT: Really got a great burn in abs tryin to etch in as much detail as possible although theres still a long way to go until chiseled abs come through. As long as I keep working hard I should be fine.

Felt good today cravings were REALLY kicking in all day long. Really wanted to binge off my diet but really dug deep inside to hold onto my training and diet regimen. I am not sure why the 3rd day is so difficult. Maybe because of the lay-off from ephedrine today. I am not sure. Other then that today went pretty well I guess. Really sore though all over.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 05-17-2001 at 03:28 AM.

Good job. Continue to stick to diet... I am interested to learn how well these TKD diets work. Give me a good example to look at.

bone crusher
    i would suggest dumping those "fat burners" you wont need them with this type of diet and your body will thank you for it

I've been on a TKD since the third of this month...I've been just using half a snapple before I train, and half afterwards for my carbs, man. IMO, that's better than all before, or all after. This way, you get fuel for your workout, as well as glycogen replacement. I've actually gained a lb., but am leaning out considerably. Good luck bro', it's not that hard, once you pass one week...

WEDNESDAY, MAY 16, 2001
    TKD DAY 4

CARDIO.
    30' stationery bike first thing in the morning on an empty stomach - 30 minutes after taking BetaLean HP - following by 3 sets of high-rep leg extensions

HOURS OF SLEEP: 7 hrs. - need to really try and get a litle more sleep tonight

NUTRITION.
    Total (g) Protein: 169g
    Total (g) Carbs: 76g
    Total (g) Fat: 164g
    Total Calories: 2610

SORENESS: calves, soleus, upper/outer chest all sore, inner forearms still a little bit sore.

SUPPLEMENTS: BetaLean HP 2x, 10g creatine + 10g glutamine postworkout with carbs, 6mg. melatonin before bed

TRAINING. BICEPS, TRICEPS.
    Standing EZ Bar Curls 75x10; 85x8; 95x6
    (supersetted with)
    Lying EZ Bar Ext. 75x10; 85x8; 95x6
    Incline Two-arm DB Ext. 25x12; 30x10; 35x8
    (supersetted with)
    Reverse Incline Alt. DB Curls 25x10; 30x8; 35x6
    Concentration DB Hammer Curls 30x12; 35x10; 40x8
    (supersetted with)
    One-arm DB Overhead Ext. 30x10; 35x8; 40x6
    Overhead Straight-bar Cable Ext. 120x10; 130x8; 140x6
    (supersetted with)
    Straight-bar Cable Curls 120x10; 130x8; 140x6

WATER: water intake was okay throughout the day could have taken in a little bit more maybe.

WORKOUT: had a pretty good arm workout. My gym rearranged all of the equipment so it probably took me a little longer to get from exercise to exercise but it was okay. Got a good pump and burn throughout my entire uppper arm which was very good. Didnt get that good of a pump obviously because of lack of carbs it wasnt bad at all. Cable superset really finished off bis and tris burning them out completely taking them all the way to failure.

Felt good today cravings were a lot less than yesterday actually THANK GOD. My girlfriend ate in Mcdonalds which was really hard for me but I made it. I sat there and ate boiled eggs from home while she ate two cheeseburgers and fries! AHHHH. It was okay though I just kept thinking about how Prom was in 2 days and everything worked out okay.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 05-17-2001 at 03:42 AM.

THURSDAY, MAY 17, 2001
    BINGE DAY!

OMG I dont know what the hell got into me I was on my diet strict all day long and then all of the sudden I was out with my girlfriend and I was thinking like **** Prom is tommorow night, what the hell. I WAS SO ****ED AT MYSELF! OMG!!! No cardio/training/supplements at all.

FRIDAY, MAY 18, 2001
    BINGE DAY 2!!

Prom tonight... binged all day on fatty and sugary foods!! What a godd*mn joke. I am SO F*CKIN dissapointed in myself holy sh*t. Oh well I promised myself to stay on it hardcore after I got back on it. Did no cardio/training/supplements at all!

SATURDAY, MAY 19, 2001
    BINGE DAY 3!!!

Stayed out until 7:30 AM Prom Night so today I slept until around 4 PM and couldnt diet or train at all I was too beat from last night. One long night that I cant get into on here though. Anyway stayed out pretty late tonight and did absolutely no cardio/training/supplements at all. JESUS CHR1ST what the hell is my problem!?? DISGRACE! OMG...

SUNDAY, MAY 20, 2001
    BINGE DAY 4!!!! F*CK!

Today was my 6-month Anniversary with my beautiful girlfriend so I had to make today a binge-day. I ate and ate all this ****ty food and cake and just all kinds of bullsh*t that I shouldnt go near. I feel so f*cking flabby in my lower abs and outer chest and lack definition SERIOUSLY. All veins and definition in abs/chest/arms is totally gone. Starting today, Monday, and really need to stick to diet/training regimen. Beercan can you please give me some tips on how the hell you stayed on? On this diet just a few carbs seem to last a few days!! I wanted a binge night and it ended up 4 days long! What the f*CK???? Thats so disgusting I must have no self-discipline at all. EW. tuttut Anyways I better go Ill be back on it tommorow. GODD@MNIT!

Oh yeah Beercan I meant to tell you that I am going to start taking in around 30-50g preworkout high-glycemic carbs along with 30-50g postworkout. I might just take in a pack of Sweettarts which is 42g 30 minutes preworkout and then a Gatorade which is 35g along with 18g from my Myoplex shake for my protein. I dont know I think that will work well and as far as I can see my body can handle more carbs I weigh around 225 lbs. now I think so around 100g of carbs on training days should be fine. Later on.

No offense, but 100 grams of carbs a day for a guy your size is just barely low, I doubt you'll manage to get into ketosis, especially with all of the binging...

If you'd rather do it the CKD way, where you carb load once a week, that's fine...but both ain't going to get you where you want to be

BTW, the reason I stay on is called dedication. I want my goals more than I want to succumb to some craving.
    Not a flame, but think about it.

MonStar... I have read if you do not follow keto diets closely and rush up on carbs, you may end up gaining back much more weight than you originally lost. And by the way it looks, you often come out of ketosis with a vengeance.

By looking at your "binge days" ... don't you think it might be wise to just follow a typical 40/30/30 diet, or somewhere along those lines? You're going to end up worse than when you started off, unless you get it together.

Sorry if it seemed an a**holish thing to say, but I realize you are trying your heart out... despite all of the binge eating. I don't want to see you end up worse.
    Last edited by Yaz; 05-21-2001 at 10:44 AM.

Yeah, I prefer CKDs. You can eat REAL carbs during the weekend, but aren't even tempted by the taste of sweet during the week. That's what kills it for me.

The last thing you want, monstar, is some kind of low-grade ED. (dieting, binging, etc.) It CAN happen. Good luck.

MONDAY, MAY 21, 2001
    TKD DAY 5?

CARDIO.
    30' stationery bike first thing in the morning on an empty stomach - 30 minutes after taking 1 Dymetadrine Xtreme - following by 3 sets of high-rep leg extensions

NUTRITION.
    Total (g) Protein: 122g
    Total (g) Carbs: 103g
    Total (g) Fat: 158g
    Total Calories: 2445

SORENESS: none

SUPPLEMENTS: Dymetadrine 2x, 6mg. melatonin before bed

TRAINING. CHEST, CALVES.
    Incline Dumbbell Presses 80x11; 90x8; 95x7
    Incline Dumbbell Flys 50x10; 55x8; 60x6
    Decline Smith-machine Presses 160x10; 180x8; 190x5
    Flat Dumbbell Flys 60x10; 65x8; 70x6
    High-cable Crossovers 30x15; 40x12; 50x10
    Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises 250x15; 300x12; 350x10
    Seated Calf Raises 250x20; 300x15; 350x10
    Leg Press Calf Raises 520x15; 720x10; 920x6

WATER: good intake throughout the day - ended up peeing a bunch of times today because of carb-depletion - did good though overall water intake really well. Really peed a LOT of times today though.

WORKOUT: got a great pump and feeling of exaustion in pecs completely. Really tore up my pecs and that helped a lot psychologically from last week when I couldnt put up sh*t with weight because of my pecs being a little sore. Chest really was pumped big time. Still a little flabby throughout but hopefully that will fade. Kept calories pretty low. Calves got a GREAT burn and really good pump... I had trouble walking after a few of my calf sets.

Felt good today really glad to be back into it. Workout really helped a lot I think due to my carbs before hand. I am thinking about cutting my carbs a little lower after what Beercan said about 100g per day. I always read that with a TKD you want to keep your carbs around 1g per kilogram of bodyweight. And for someone my size that comes out to around 100g. Oh well. Anyway I have never tried a CKD but I am afraid of really piling on the fat when I binge on the weekends. I know exactly what you mean Beercan about me not being about to do a TKD if I am going to binge too that makes no sense at all. I know I know I dont know what the hell is going on my dedication is really f*cking messed up I dont get it. I mean I just cant stay on this godd@mn diet. I am trying again today and really hoping that everything will work out okay this time around. I dont know if I f*ck up this time I am definitely going to try and CKD. I really dont like all the crap though with the depletion workout and everything like that thats kind of why I never tried it to begin with. When I binge I REALLY binge I mean everything in sight like non-stop for days. I cant control it I need to see a doctor I think I dont know whats the matter with me... Seriously.. Well I will really try harder this time. I know I really dont want to gain back ANY of the weight I mean I am SOOO f*cking flabby right now I feel like a before picture or something what the f*ck!? OMG what the hell is my f*cking problem... PLEASE keep posting guys I think if you all keep my head straight itll really help. Thanks guys! Peace.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 05-22-2001 at 08:37 PM.

Just woke up this morning about to do my AM cardio and really feel a lot better this morning. Still very flabby obviously but feel good. Motivation is really up to cut up and do whatever it takes to stay on this TKD. I am going to try and lower my carbs today to around 70-75g and see how that works out for me. Carbs were a little high yesterday according to Beercan. Well I better get going... Later.

Strength, bro. The only guy who can put the fork in your mouth is YOU.

..........My weak attempt at motivation.

I'm cutting right now, too, so I've been in a bad mood for the last week or so.

*grumble grumble*

Oh well. just think how good you'll look. Every time you feel like cheating, stand in front of the mirror shirtless. it'll help.

Let's all be partners in misery. Though I will be the smallest partner!

But fear me, fat people who do not care. For my six pack shall be finely greased in August. Better get yourself some sunglasses, biatches.

TUESDAY, MAY 22, 2001
    TKD DAY 6

CARDIO.
    30' stationery bike first thing in the morning on an empty stomach - 30 minutes after taking Adipokinetix and 1g tyrosine stack - following by 3 sets of high-rep leg extensions

HOURS OF SLEEP: 7 hrs. - need more sleep tonight felt tired all day took a few naps during classes

NUTRITION.
    Total (g) Protein: 126g
    Total (g) Carbs: 81g
    Total (g) Fat: 153g
    Total Calories: 2260

SORENESS: upper/lower/inner/outer pecs all SORE... calves & soleus sore too.

SUPPLEMENTS: Adipokinetix + 1g Tyrosine 2x, 6mg. melatonin before bed

TRAINING. BACK, FOREARMS.
    Wide-grip Front Chins 8x8x7
    Bent Reverse-grip EZ Bar Rows 175x10; 195x8; 205x6
    Close-grip Pulldowns 120x10; 150x8; 180x6
    Seated Close-grip Cable Rows 120x10; 150x8; 180x6
    Cable Pullovers 90x15; 100x12; 110x10
    Behind-back Barbell Wrist Curls 115x30; 125x25; 135x20
    Reverse Wrist Roller 30x4; 30x3; 30x3
    Dumbbell Twists 30x12; 30x10; 30x10

WATER: good intake throughout the day - did good though overall water intake really well. Need more though.

WORKOUT: back had a pretty good workout I guess. Flexed alot in between sets to really get good mind->muscle connection. Really need to work on width my lats more than thickness. Back is pretty thick but want to work on middle traps and upper traps. Need to thicken middle/lower traps to have 2 huge parts of middle traps out the back of every t-shirt you wear. Anyway forearms got a great burn really tore up afterwards.

Felt good today for the most part... Calories were pretty low which was good I guess... really need to keep head in the game and stick to diet 100%. Training, diet, and supplementation all need to be 100% at all times. Sometimes want to cheat but just look at abs and realize that I really dont want to that badly. Thanks for the tip! I dont know I will do whatever it takes to get the physique that I want... everything but steroids that is. Oh well.. I hope tommorow goes good. Peace. Defintely feel VERY flabby and soft today holy sh*t. Forearms really are looking good for some reason all veiny and what not but the rest of my body looks flabby and muscles are start to really flatten out a lot more. I guess because of lack of carbs and everything like that. Chest was aching all day long. Hopefully traps wont be sore tommorow because Thursday is shoulders & traps day. Tommorow is a rest day and I am going to throw in some abs. Well I better get going... Later on.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 05-22-2001 at 08:42 PM.

Yeah foreal I hear all of what your saying... I will seriously try a Cyclic Ketogenic Diet if I cant stay on a TKD for the next few weeks... a TKD is definitely a tough diet to stay on especially on non-training days like today... no simple sugars to keep my head straight. All fats and proteins PUKE. Anyway well I better get going I will post later on on how everything went all day.