Thread: Trying to gain weight....But seem to be loosing it...

Wannabebig Member

Trying to gain weight....But seem to be loosing it...

Hey

I've recently started back up at uni and have tried to change my life style to help achieve my weight lifting goals (Gaining Mass). I've been training on and off for a few years and went from about 59kg with no muscle, to 69kg with about 12% body fat. (this was 2 weeks ago)

For the last 6 months while at home, i was eating 3 big meals a day, with a post shake on workout days, and sort of neglected my diet a little on off days.

However, over the last 2 weeks ive been trying my best to fit in at least 6 meals a day. I've included a breakfast shake which has oats, whey, whole milk, just before i eat my 3 bacon and 3 eggs... A Pre & post shake, both with around 300cal each. other then that im making sure i eat about 500cal and 30-50g protein every few hours.

I know im eating more then before, about 700-1000cal more, but im eating smaller portions more frequently now.

After weighing myself after my workout today i was about 67kg. Ive lost about 3-4lbs.

I don't expect the scales to start going up straight away after 2 weeks, but to be loosing weight is quite annoying. I know i have a very fast metabolism and im thinking that by eating more frequently im boosting my metabolism to burn even more, and therefore im loosing weight. Is this logical??

Eating more frequently does not boost your metabolism. Eat more calories than you have been and youll gain weight. Theres nothing really scientific about it besides it being thermodynamics.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Something's off. Either you're miscalculating calories, you're much more active than you were before (which is nullifying the extra 700-1000 calories) or there's inconsistencies in the weighing process (different scales, different amount of clothing etc).

Also, as Rich said above, meal frequency is not an issue in this instance.

Some people have had more luck keeping/gaining when eating 3-4 massive meals versus 6 or more smaller meals. I do understand there is no scientific proof to this. However, giving it a shot would not hurt either.

The reasoning behind it might be, when eating more smaller meals, one might occasionally miss a meal due to scheduling conflicts. It's tough to have a schedule that revolves around eating. One might think it's not a big deal because it's a small meal, however, calories count. When having fewer larger meals, a person knows he or she cannot afford to skip that meal. Just a thought.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Losing weight? Eat more. Nothing else we can tell you really. It all comes down to cals in vs. cals out.

Quote Originally Posted by icool View Post
    But I think eating small portions but more frequently helps in maintaining normal metabolism. This is what experts are saying and I've read a lot about this many times.
    But Smaller meals more frequently provides no increased thermic effect that would make you lose weight versus 2 or 3 big meals at the same calories. At the end of the day, calories are what matter. And thats regardless of what any "expert" says. Period.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Eating more frequently does not boost your metabolism. Eat more calories than you have been and youll gain weight. Theres nothing really scientific about it besides it being thermodynamics.
    It really is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Weight-Loss View Post
    Avoid eating anything directly out of the container, particularly foods that lend themselves to binges like ice cream or potato chips. It\'s virtually impossible to practice portion control when you eat straight out of a container.

When you eat from the sources, you\'re likely to fall into all-or-nothing thinking: \"If I\'m being this \'bad\' then I should just go all the way.\" You\'ll feel more in charge of your actions by eating one serving mindfully from a dish.
    effective10.blogspot.com
    Yes...portion control is really something someone wants to worry about when trying to gain weight..are you serious? Lol.

Really nice talking about gain weight, and also really nice above comments, guys, i also have some information about gain weight, which i want to share with you, guys, for gain weight exercise is most important, and guys, you also should eat healthy foods, because healthy foods, also helping you for gain weight ...

Eat healthy diet, Boost vitamin & mineral intake. Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, organic lean proteins, drink more water. Stay motivated and keep moving. Adopt healthy environment around you.

Wannabebig Member
    Meh. A lot of these people are saying "eat healthy"... sure... to an extent. If the scale isn't moving AT ALL for weeks... add in food that adds calories but doesn't really fill you up for long. Think... wow I just sat here with a bag of chips and all of the sudden they are gone and I'm looking for more food. That person just ate 2k of calories and want more... they are very "empty" calories. Am i saying eat all your food this quality? NO. But get the scale moving with mostly good foods and some crap.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Thank you! So many guys utterly fail becaue they try to model their diet after pros eating every 2 hours. I've never been able to do that. What works best for me is I eat 2-3 HUGE meals and have a shake between each one. To the OP, don't neglect the good ol GOMAD (gallon of milk a day). You will absolutely out on good size.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log