The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Warm up question

I have tried a lot of different warm-ups/warm up strategies over time. My desired outcomes from warming up are the following in order of priority:
    1. Avoid/minimize injury
    2. Improve mobility
    3. Produce max strenght

A typical warm up for me currently is as follows:
    10min walk, 1min run, hip-flexor stretch, 1-leg hip-thrust glute-bridges, shoulder dislocations

I then do warm up sets for squats (which I always do 1st) using ~30%5RM and then ~70%5RM

Please critique my warm up and provide advice...
    I have already gotten some feedback on my 10min walk/1 min run. Some one stronger than I has been saying it is possible my walk/run are holding back my strenght by tiring out my muscles... I don't agree but, they have more experience than I do so....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

TWO warm-up sets...??? Thats it...???

I'd say the pre-lift cardio is a personal preference, but i think its hurting your bottom line a tad. Maybe 2-3 minutes ov light-resistance rowing machine, light stretching, dislocates are always good, then go.

As for warm-up, i go far to the other end ov the scale... I like a LOT ov warm-up sets, though i have the work-capacity to do them and not tire. For (say) a 400lb all-out max squat:

bar x whatever makes you happy
    135x8-10
    185x5
    225x3 (you really are pretty much 'warm' enough by here, the rest is just acclimation)
    275x2
    315x1
    345x1
    365x1
    385x1 (stop here or somewhere near here if its just a 'daily max' you're after)
    400x1

I like about 10 sets (not including barwork) to see my top lift. My reasoning for that is it greases the groove very well, i'm a very technical squatter (and sets are practice), and the smaller jumps really kinda make the mounting weight seem like less.

If you wanted to do this, it might take you a while to work up to the capacity to do this many sets without tiring on the big stuff. I think most good lifters probably fall somewhere in between what you do and what i do... 5-7 sets to max.
    Last edited by Judas; 10-25-2012 at 06:28 PM.

I tend to take more time warming up with the weights rather than the running and walking.

Sometimes I'll come in early and do some reverse hypers and hip stretches but that's about it.

Seems to me you're over complicating it a little bit.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I would add in some soft tissue work via a roller and lacrosse ball. I especially like indian clubs for my bench days.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I like light stretching, some foam roller, and a few sets with the bar..... then get to it. Nothing crazy, no sweat broken, not fatigued at all......
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

I foam roll and go through a warmup of about 12-15 dynamic stretches and some band work. I always have a pretty good sweat before I train. I used to just warm up with lighter weights, but that stopped working. So I was doing the above warmup and starting off with lighter weights. I think it was wearing me out a bit and it took me forever before I got to top sets. Last night I took plate jumps to 495 and it felt great. So, with a dialed in warmup I can get to heavier weights faster. I still hate warming up though.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I foam roll and go through a warmup of about 12-15 dynamic stretches and some band work. I always have a pretty good sweat before I train. I used to just warm up with lighter weights, but that stopped working. So I was doing the above warmup and starting off with lighter weights. I think it was wearing me out a bit and it took me forever before I got to top sets. Last night I took plate jumps to 495 and it felt great. So, with a dialed in warmup I can get to heavier weights faster. I still hate warming up though.
    Works for beasts like you, but if most of us did plate jumps we'd have a very short session, haha!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk