The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Gains \ Routine

Gains \ Routine

Hello
    I've been using the WBB1 routine for ten weeks now, and have seen some very good gains. Acording to my wife measuring me I've gained 2.5 inches in my shoulders, 1.5 in my chest.
    Should I stick with the routine for a few months? (I really like the routine) and my goal is to add 5 pounds a month to the bigger exercises...i.e...Bench, BB and DB, Squats, Military press BB and DB...Which would be 30 pounds by Christmas.

The gains I've seen in the 10 weeks, can I expect to see the same gains in the next 3 months and so on.
    I'm REALLY working hard when I work out, concentrating on form and negatives. And is it possible to meet my goals in my chest and arms (forgot to add that I would like to gain 2 inches to my quads) there 20' now by next year at this time.

Thank you very much
    Last edited by Rygar; 06-24-2002 at 07:17 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Excellent work on the gains, glad to see someone concentrating on form!!!!

A lot depends on diet also. I am not an expert, but the human body is the best machine in the world when it comes to adaptation. Eventually most people gains begin to slow or eventually plateau (Search for plateau). Assuming everything else in you BB progress is good you might want to take a week off every once in a while or more popular, Change your routine and sets. Try different workout for each muscle groups, or change the whole routine, hence WWB routine 2 and 3. I my self also rotate diet and routine for 8 to 10 week cycles cutting the bulking this has helped me from getting board in the gym also. Diets is more important then most realize also, if you want mass: Train, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT sleep (8 hours at least) repeat. search for overtraining
    Last edited by Dominator; 06-24-2002 at 07:30 PM.
    Quit reading this and go SQUAT!

Magic Link to answer any question

Thanks for the reply Dominator, and the kind words

I'll take your advice and try to throw in some variations of the exercises that I do. I workout at home (I have a squat rack, incline bench, and an Olympic weight set)
    I've had to modify the WBB routine already because about a year ago I screwed up a tendon in my arm that took months to heal and I'm afraid that doing pull-ups will injure it again. (I feel I'm too heavy, and not conditioned enough to be doing pull-ups) so I go to exrx.net for alternative exercises. I try to get enough protein a day (Whey, chicken, Steak.....I LOVE Angus steak, tuna and so on)

Thank you very much for the information.
    Dave
    Last edited by Rygar; 06-24-2002 at 08:33 PM.

Well Done!!

Yes, you can certainly reach or exceed the goals you are setting. They are reasonable and attainable, as long as you keep working hard.

Good info on diet... it's a big factor in your success.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Personally, I wouldn't plan goals for the future unless your well aware of your body and how it reacts to different routines. You sound like your just getting into this so I'm not sure you or any of us can predict if 5lbs a month is a good or bad goal.

I've been logging my workouts for the past 4-6 years so I feel that I can gauge my own goals with a fair degree of accuracy, but each of our bodies/diets is different and only we can predict our own bodies.

Hope that helps a bit....

By the way congrats on the gains, sounds like your doing good!

The gains do however sound rather large I don'tt you'll be able to see gains like again.

I think he meant 5 lbs. on the lifts, not his b/w, so this should be no problem.
    Last edited by jc_az; 06-26-2002 at 01:48 PM.

Thank you guys very much for the words of encouragement
    Paul, I'm excited knowing that I could reach my goal by this time next year
    I know that it'll take me a couple of years to get were I want, but I am so determined (all I have to do is think of all the times I use to beat myself up about being so skinny)

geoffgarcia...jc_az was right when he said that I'm going to add 5 pounds of weight to my lifts.
    I'm telling my wife to be as EXACT as possible in the way she is measuring. But I could ask her to tell me what's North or South, or sometimes Left from Right and she doesn't get it right

like alot of guys said.. make sure you eat enough.. gotta feed the machine!! i had troubles progressing for awhile.. once i started eating alot of good foods.. i gained weight and increased lifts.. its a good feeling

I'm definitely going to take that advice Scotty2.