The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    Falcon can't do anything. He only comes here to vent and all your attempts at advice will be rebutted. You can try, but the guy has an answer for anything. One of those people you don't ever let in your life because they are a complete downer every time you talk to them.
    But Tone... we must help him. And after we're done with that... we'll help you with your depression. Wait yer turn.

Falcon. I'll go against the grain here... and just tell you to quit college. I for one am not in the 'must go to college' camp. Hell... i'm not even fully convinced you have to finish high-school. Its obviously not getting you far. You obviously dont believe in it, which is probably why its not getting you far. Its beating you and your family up financially. Seriously, if your heads not in it... screw it.

You also dont need a degree to become a famous S&C coach. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

Heh... that said... heres the kicker... To get good work without the usual accreditation route, you need to be GOOD. Really... all you need is to be able to PROVE that you can improve athletes, without breaking them. Sounds easy. Hell, it is easy. But there are 10000's ov people out there that can do that. You need to be better than them. Wanna get the good jobs without doing the (official) work? PROVE you can do the job better than those who did go that route. If i had a team or star athlete that needed the coaching i'd hire the best person for the job. If the top coach in the land was a grade-1 dropout from lower Elbonia then thats fine by me.

I've been turning down this kind ov work for years now, and i have no letters after my name. Word gets out when you are good at what you do. It gets out even quicker and goes further when you are out there DOING it, looking it, living it (as someone above said), and making client after client happy as hell with results. Just like trying to become world-elite at a strength sport... it wont happen quickly and it sure as hell wont happen without doing more work than EVERYONE else around you, and not just more work, but smarter work. And just like trying to become elite... if you're looking for a quicker way then it was probably never meant to be.

There. Thats the 'no college' road laid right out for you.
    Last edited by Judas; 10-30-2012 at 04:46 AM.

Banned
    Yeah, the no college road is fucking retarded.

Wannabebig Member
    Falcon,

Finish your degree. A degree (even one that is not related to your field) shows people that you are committed to finishing things you start, a degree is also helpful should you find that the world of training and performance enhancement is not a good fit for you long term (the average person changes careers multiple times in their work life), a degree in anything allows you the opportunity to at least compete with other folks in the job market.
    For training/S&C jobs a health sciences degree does sound like a better fit than criminal justice, it also probably provides the pre-requisites for advanced degrees in Exercise Science/Kinesiology (should you choose to go that route) whether they be in person or on-line programs.
    Having a formal education is almost always a plus, finding internships is equally important (probably more in the long run, since a good internship may lead to that first entry level job), but remember in a competitive market (and S&C is competitive) with everything being equal, the guy with more letters after his name has the advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Well... it is most definitely not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    See, I just don't buy that. In my opinion, it is very ignorant to think that someone is either uneducated or unqualified because they didn't attend college. The only people that I believe are "fucking retarded" are the ones who feel that you NEED to go to college, as if it is some requirement. As I said before, realistically, it's just a few letters after your name, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    See, I just don't buy that. In my opinion, it is very ignorant to think that someone is either uneducated or unqualified because they didn't attend college. The only people that I believe are "fucking retarded" are the ones who feel that you NEED to go to college, as if it is some requirement. As I said before, realistically, it's just a few letters after your name, nothing more.
    It may be, but I think many folks here (myself included) have been in the position where they've been hiring for a position. I've hired over 50 people for various roles (corporate consulting, health care, service industry, strength and conditioning/personal training), and I've honestly tossed the ones without a college degree to the back of the pile. Not because they aren't necessarily as smart or capable, but because the ones with the degree have already demonstrated at least a basic commitment to their education and self-improvement, and they have more experience in processing information, learning new information, potentially learning new skills, etc.

There's also the point mentioned above- if you decide NOT to go into this field, without a degree, you're hosed.

Nobody's trying to dog on you because we don't like you, man. A lot of folks here just speaking from experience, actually having lived well beyond the point you're at now, possibly having shared your viewpoint when we were your age (fuck I sound old), but realizing now how mistaken we were. Cheers.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    You know what a college degree tells employers, if nothing else? That you have the dedication and focus to stick with something for 4 years and follow through. You know what dropping out of college and working for GNC shows? Not that.

Also college is not a waste of time. People just waste their time in college. You don't just show up to class, do the assignments you're given and expect to be enlightened. Are you spending any extra free time you have with S&C coaches at your school? Asking them questions until they're sick of you? Do you go to your professors outside of class to engage them in conversations? Do you talk to professors outside of your degree program who might still know useful things? Biology, anatomy, etc.? Do you audit any classes that might be useful, but are not required for you degree. If not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    the ones with the degree have already demonstrated at least a basic commitment to their education and self-improvement
    This where my opinion differs. I am EXTREMELY committed to improving myself and furthering my education, which is precisely WHY I want to drop out of college. If I TRULY want to absorb the most information possible that pertains to my particular interests, I'm better off learning on my own.

REALISTICALLY, all a degree shows is that some kid wasted four years of his life getting drunk and partying while doing the bare minimum work and sleeping a little less in class than some other kids, just so their parents wouldn't be mad at them for not going to college.

I just don't understand the stigma or taboo of not going to college. I am probably more educated than 90% of college students. I don't mean to come off arrogant or cocky, but it's true. It's small-minded to believe that someone who does not go to college is automatically less educated or dedicated than someone who did. In fact, I'd RATHER have someone who didn't waste time on college, as it shows they're more fiscally responsible and they understand that they most likely will not get a good return on their investment.
    Last edited by Falcon63; 10-31-2012 at 11:05 AM.

REALISTICALLY, all a degree shows is that some kid wasted four years of his life getting drunk and partying while doing the bare minimum work and sleeping a little less in class than some other kids, just so their parents wouldn't be mad at them for not going to college.
    Nope, that is not what it shows, not even close. You sound like every other kid from our generation, that you are somehow are more knowledgeable, educated and experienced than people who have spent years studying a degree and working in a field.

If you go to college, work hard and get a decent GPA, you'll get a job. If you get by on the bare minimum with a low GPA you most likely wont get a job and learn much, but thats your own fault. Dont equate lazy students with college.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

This where my opinion differs.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but the cold hard fact is that the people who may be hiring you don't really care about your opinion- for better or for worse, this is the general mindset out there, and it's here to stay. Just calling it as we see it, not necessarily debating whether or not college is a good choice for everyone.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff31 View Post
    Nope, that is not what it shows, not even close. You sound like every other kid from our generation, that you are somehow are more knowledgeable, educated and experienced than people who have spent years studying a degree and working in a field.

If you go to college, work hard and get a decent GPA, you'll get a job. If you get by on the bare minimum with a low GPA you most likely wont get a job and learn much, but thats your own fault. Dont equate lazy students with college.
    Where your logic fails is at the point in which you assume I am lazy and have a shitty GPA. I have a 3.7 GPA and got a perfect score on the math portion of the SAT.
    Last edited by Falcon63; 10-31-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Falcon I will admit, your level of arrogance (or is it ignorance?) is pretty impressive for someone with literally no experience in the field, in the face of guys like myself and others who posted in this thread who have many years of successful experience.

You do what you want, it's your life. But don't ask questions you don't honestly want an answer to around here in the future. Just post on your facebook or twitter or what have you if all you want is for people to tell you how totally awesome your idea is and that you'll probably be king of the world in a matter of weeks.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I didn't say you were lazy, I said don't equate a lazy college student to what you get out of college. And just because you have a high GPA does not make your point that college is a waste of time any more valid. I was very succesful in college and I've had numerous software engineering internships, and guess what, a degree or pursuit of a degree is required.

As Alex said, for better or for worse if you want to get a job in strength coaching at the collegiate level its very competitive, and you need all qualifications you can get. So when the time comes to apply for some kind of internship or job, your resume can either be at the bottom of the pile, or the top.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

I can tell you this, you will NOT get a decent collegiate level (read d1 or 2) strength and conditioning job without a college degree. Unless you are somehow very much in with the administration or the football coach, get a degree.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Wannabebig Member
    As you said before To get a CSCS you have to have a bachelors degree. I f your spendin 40k a year on college, I understand it is too much and I couldn't afford it either. You could probably get 90% of your degree done on line for way cheaper, the degree might not be as good but you just doing it to qualify for the CSCS. I too have wanted to do this and I fucked off right out of high school and had my fun. Now I'm 31 have a wife and kid and all I could afford was a AA and a nursing degree, so I'm kinda screwed there. My point- do it while you can, it gets tougher later.

Without a degree you could go the personal training route, I'd go through NSCA or NASM, those are two of the most highly regarded ones. I have done this though and PT is 90% sales just so your aware, and my point with that is S&C may also not be what you are envisioning. Good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not positive on this so no one go crazy, but I've heard the NCAA will start requiring CSCS in the future for all strength and conditioning programs.

Well, I've actually decided to stay. I actually decided a few days ago, but decided to keep this thread up, haha.

I want to become CSCS certified through the NSCA, so obviously I'll need a degree. But, the real reasons I want to stay are to play football and meet women. Football, I actually have a legitimate shot of transferring to a D1 school (after contemplating quitting last year after injuries!), and college is obviously the best place to meet women.

I don't believe for a second you're playing D1. I also believe you'll be serving me fries in the near future but while serving them to me, you'll be telling me about how you're the greatest fry guy McDonald's ever had and how you pick up so many women from behind the fryer. At this point no one really cares what you do with yourself Falcon. You've alienated most of the people here that gave you good advice. You're either a terrific troll, or completely blinded to your own ignorance. I tend to believe the latter.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    I don't believe for a second you're playing D1. I also believe you'll be serving me fries in the near future but while serving them to me, you'll be telling me about how you're the greatest fry guy McDonald's ever had and how you pick up so many women from behind the fryer. At this point no one really cares what you do with yourself Falcon. You've alienated most of the people here that gave you good advice. You're either a terrific troll, or completely blinded to your own ignorance. I tend to believe the latter.
    I don't care what you think.

Anyways, all of the people that gave me "good advice" gave me unsolicited advice. My original question had nothing to do with whether I should drop out or not.

Lastly, making pathetic attempts at personal attacks (herp derp "you'll be serving me fries") is weak at best. I don't know where you got the idea that I believe I am more qualified than people who have actually worked in this field, I simply said that I have learned much more on my own than I ever have in college. I really don't give a shit how it comes off though. If you, for some reason, believe I am arrogant and a "know-it-all", then I really don't care, because, whether you believe it or not, I'm not.

You came on the board and asked a question. Then you got advice. Now it's unsolicited. You make quite alot of sense. I can see why you're not terribly fond of college with logic like that. What's your name? What school are you playing for? What D1 school will we be seeing you at in the near future? You've made a ton of claims. I don't believe any of them and your response to me didn't state any of the info I just asked. If you're not getting good advice, why do you keep returning? If you don't agree with the people here, why do you keep coming back?

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Banned
    WOW! Falcon, you are a fuckin' idiot. I hope you're not the future of this country. I'll pray for the Zombie Apocalypse. The good thing is I know you'll never be a collegue in my field.