Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a degree in health sciences aid me in becoming a strength and conditioning coac

Would a degree in health sciences aid me in becoming a strength and conditioning coac

coach?

I ask because I'm currently majoring in Criminal Justice in college and I realized that it is NOT what I want to do with my life. I want to be a S&C coach and possibly open up my own gym later in life. However, the closest major I found in my University is this:

http://www.fairmontstate.edu/schoolo...health-science

Does that sound like the type of degree that would aid me in becoming a S&C coach?

I know ZARFIT and some others have experience in the field. Try asking them.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Internships and work study type arrangements play a big role in that field as well. Not just the degree. I hope Matt Rhodes chimes in as he works for a University doing that now.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Internships and work study type arrangements play a big role in that field as well. Not just the degree. I hope Matt Rhodes chimes in as he works for a University doing that now.
    Well, I know that, I'm hoping to get an internship my junior and senior years. However, I'm just not sure if that degree description is what I'm looking for.

Hopefully it is along the lines of aiding me become a S&C coach because I've already transferred once and I don't want to transfer again, but I DESPERATELY want to change my major. I know it will add two more years to my college expenses, but I don't know where I'd go to learn to become a S&C coach other than college.

If I could become a S&C coach without going to college, that'd be GREAT, since I think college is a waste of time and money, but I wouldn't even know where to get an internship, and colleges usually have connections for that type of stuff.
    Last edited by Falcon63; 10-27-2012 at 02:40 PM.

I'm a senior going after an exercise science degree. Based off of my experiance unless you were dead set on working at the collegiate level I wouldn't bother. If I had it to do all over again I would major in human biology, but I am not changing my major when I have so much put into it already. Human biology would give you a much greater understanding of the human body and how it works and responds to different factors. Sure you won't learn about periodization and program basics, but I would bet you wouldn't learn about that with that degree you linked anyways.

The biggest benefit I have gotten out of my education in terms of my own training is my human anatomy and phsyiology classes. I have not modified anything in my own training as a result of what I have learned.

Well, that is the only related major my University offers. It's either that, stay with my current major and waste a bunch of money doing something I don't want to do, or drop-out. I would just drop-out, as I feel college as a whole is a waste of money, but I can't seem to find a job, and without a job, my mother would just kick me out. I've applied to MANY places, MINIMUM WAGE jobs, ALL OF THEM, and still not ONE response from any.

If I could just land even a minimum wage job where I could pay for gas and car insurance, it would be a no-brainer, I'd drop-out immediately.

Further, while I'd accept ANY job at this point, I really want to get a job doing something I enjoy, like working at GNC or in a gym or something. But like I said, while I have experience lifting and using supplements and dieting, I don't actually know the science behind it, and I want to, but I think the only way to learn about that stuff is in college (I could search online, but I don't know what to search for).

Transfer. That degree isn't really going to help you much.

I dropped my exercise science degree in my sophomore year and picked up psychology instead. Best decision I could have made. The psychology stuff really helped me learn how to communicate with the plethora of personalities you come in contact with in athletics.

I have no interest in working for a college so I didn't worry about all the certifications that went along with that.

After I dropped my exercise science, I began working closely with Louie Simmons and that's where I learned everything that I now use with athletes.

If you're going to spend the money on a degree, get one that is worth the time. Only other one I'd have considered was athletic training because of all the rehab and therapy stuff I do on highschool athletes but that stuff can be picked up pretty easily as well.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Colleges around me don't have exercise science degrees either. I've thought about AT, but what I REALLY want to do is be a strength and conditioning coach. I'd honestly rather do it WITHOUT wasting money on college, as I believe college is just a bullshit marketing scheme used to entrap people in debt, however, I wouldn't know where/how to learn the knowledge needed to be a S&C coach, and I wouldn't know how to get a job without having a degree.

But, I DO know that you can become NSCA certified by taking an online exam. Is it really that easy? If I gain the knowledge, and pass the exam, is that all I really need to do? I just want to do something I love and not be some mindless drone or robot.

I don't want to be part of the industrial complex that conforms to society's standards. I want to do what I WANT TO DO!

The NSCA CSCS exam is an easy one, and most other types of coaching certifications (including USAT, USATF, etc.) are even easier.

I would still get a degree in SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to have a backup. Even something tangentially related (if you can find anything in the sciences, it'll certainly help you read and interpret a lot of the "science" in the field you'll be exposed to) would be of assistance, but for many folks who might be hiring, showing a college degree is sort of a bare minimum.

I never wanted to work at the collegiate level either, so I opened my own company. Working out pretty well so far. I would say if you REALLY want to take it to the next level, get your college degree, start coaching, then think about a master's.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

But, the thing is, my family is not rich. In fact, we BARELY survive BECAUSE we have to pay my tuition. It is too expensive, and we're constantly having to take out loans that I DON'T want to take, because I realize that I will basically have to pay back TWICE as much as I borrow, and I do not want be in debt for 10-15 years.

It is not as bad now, but the college I went to my freshman year was 40k/year, so I already have MASSIVE student loans!

I feel as though I'm doing a disservice to myself by continuing going to college, as I am ultimately just wasting time and money that I will never get back, but realistically, like you said, you need a college degree in this economy.

However, college is just something I do not want to do for any reasons outlined in the thread. However, if I don't go and can't find a job quick enough, I'll be kicked out.

EDIT: Only good thing about college is obviously meeting new people and making friends (and girlfriends). That's honestly the only thing besides being kicked out that I'd worry about. College is THE best place to make friends and connections, and that is probably the only reasons I haven't dropped out yet.
    Last edited by Falcon63; 10-27-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    Well, I know that, I'm hoping to get an internship my junior and senior years. However, I'm just not sure if that degree description is what I'm looking for.

Hopefully it is along the lines of aiding me become a S&C coach because I've already transferred once and I don't want to transfer again, but I DESPERATELY want to change my major. I know it will add two more years to my college expenses, but I don't know where I'd go to learn to become a S&C coach other than college.

If I could become a S&C coach without going to college, that'd be GREAT, since I think college is a waste of time and money, but I wouldn't even know where to get an internship, and colleges usually have connections for that type of stuff.
    College most certainly isnt a waste of time. I used to think like that way my self. Now that I have been out of school for 8 years I know i wrong I was. Dont put the carriage before the horse.
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon63 View Post
    But, the thing is, my family is not rich. In fact, we BARELY survive BECAUSE we have to pay my tuition. It is too expensive, and we're constantly having to take out loans that I DON'T want to take, because I realize that I will basically have to pay back TWICE as much as I borrow, and I do not want be in debt for 10-15 years.

It is not as bad now, but the college I went to my freshman year was 40k/year, so I already have MASSIVE student loans!

I feel as though I'm doing a disservice to myself by continuing going to college, as I am ultimately just wasting time and money that I will never get back, but realistically, like you said, you need a college degree in this economy.

However, college is just something I do not want to do for any reasons outlined in the thread. However, if I don't go and can't find a job quick enough, I'll be kicked out.

EDIT: Only good thing about college is obviously meeting new people and making friends (and girlfriends). That's honestly the only thing besides being kicked out that I'd worry about. College is THE best place to make friends and connections, and that is probably the only reasons I haven't dropped out yet.
    I think you have a shitty attitude towards school and you should change that fast. You wont get too far if you dont. Not a slam towards you. Just some advice.
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

College most certainly isnt a waste of time. I used to think like that way my self. Now that I have been out of school for 8 years I know i wrong I was. Dont put the carriage before the horse.
    I think you have a shitty attitude towards school and you should change that fast. You wont get too far if you dont. Not a slam towards you. Just some advice.
    Well, this isn't really part of the question, I respectfully disagree. I believe college is a waste of time. Not because I'm some stupid kid who slacks off and wants to go and smoke weed all day (I have a good GPA, don't drink, don't smoke/do drugs), but because I believe that I am not getting any return on my investment. I'm spending all this money on tuition and books and taking out student loans that will take me YEARS to pay back, and I haven't learned A SINGLE THING. Nothing anyone says will change my mind on this. I learn new things EVERY SINGLE DAY that are actually, you know, applicable to life just by reading books, articles, experiencing things, etc. The ONLY thing I have ever learned in college that may actually help me in my future endeavors is what diminishing returns on investments are. Outside of that, LITERALLY NOTHING.

I'm sick of people thinking that you MUST go to school, like you're stupid if you don't. I know MANY very intelligent people that never even stepped foot on a college campus. Now, I'll probably finish it off and get my Associate's, as I'm already 3 semesters in, but I don't feel it is NEEDED to get it.

I dunno, I just don't buy into that whole BS that you HAVE to go to college or you'll be some bum. I've gained MUCH more knowledge on my own than I ever have in school. Knowledge that is more applicable to real life and concepts that I am actually interested in.

Anyways, that wasn't my question, whether college is a waste of time or not. I KNOW it is for me.

You're right, what do we know. It's not like we work in the field you want to be in and realize the value of our degrees.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Falcon63 - I have a question and I don't like college.
    Forum - Repsectful and thoughtful response.
    Falcon63 - I don't like your response and here are 63 excuses why I can't do what you said & more about why I hate college.
    Forum - More respectful responses.
    Falcon63 - More excuses & more hate about college.
    Forum - We give up.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    You're right, what do we know. It's not like we work in the field you want to be in and realize the value of our degrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaccio View Post
    Falcon63 - I have a question and I don't like college.
    Forum - Repsectful and thoughtful response.
    Falcon63 - I don't like your response and here are 63 excuses why I can't do what you said & more about why I hate college.
    Forum - More respectful responses.
    Falcon63 - More excuses & more hate about college.
    Forum - We give up.
    Look, I understand where you guys are coming from, I'm just saying that, for ME, college is a waste of time and money. But again, this wasn't even part of the question. Believe me, I've gotten countless lectures on the topic, but honestly, I don't make my decisions based on whether people will approve of them or not, I make them because I want to make them. You guys pointed out something, I respectfully disagreed. What I said is my personal opinion. Why can't that just be the end of it?

EDIT: @Alex The thing is, at my college, there IS no program that would be applicable to my field. A college degree would just be a little piece of paper that said "yup, he slept in class less than some kids and he showed up for 4 years". The only motivation I have to get a college degree is that I need one to become NSCA-CSCS certified, I enjoy the friends I've made and don't want to miss out on making more, and I play college football. Outside of that, I'm wasting my money, as I've learned ten times the amount of knowledge on my own than I ever have in college.
    Last edited by Falcon63; 10-28-2012 at 07:33 AM.

We're not focusing on whether you like college or not. We're focusing on the fact that these guys give you advice, they are in the field you want to be in, and you have an excuse every time not being able to do what they're telling you. So what exactly are you looking for? Validation that it's awesome to go and quit school? No problem. Go quit. It's awesome. It's not for you. Quit and venture out on your own. Have a blast. But if you want to do what you're saying you want to do, these guys are telling you that you can't quit. So now it's up to you. Figure it out on your own.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

40k per year?! you were robbed mate.
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

If you have already been in college for a couple of years is there any way that you could transfer those credits towards an associates degree? Even something general like Business Administration would be beneficial in the long run and give you a head start if you decided to re-pursue the bachelors down the road.

Certifications will be helpful if you want to get into personal training and/or eventually becoming a strength coach - I would look into the CSCS and also possibly just pick up a basic PT cert like the ACE.

What have you been doing to apply for jobs? If you are sending online applications or simply posted up on a job board you likely will not have great results. It could be beneficial to look at your personal network (Facebook, etc.) to try to find someone who can help you, get a good resume put together, and reach out to some staffing companies to see if maybe you can land a temporary position to gain some experience. It is typically a lot easier to find a job when you are already employed and have some sort of specific skill set, or at least some competitive knowledge that might make you valuable to another company.

I have worked in staffing for 8 years and would be happy to help with your resume (for free) if you would like. Just send me a PM on here.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    If you have already been in college for a couple of years is there any way that you could transfer those credits towards an associates degree? Even something general like Business Administration would be beneficial in the long run and give you a head start if you decided to re-pursue the bachelors down the road.

Certifications will be helpful if you want to get into personal training and/or eventually becoming a strength coach - I would look into the CSCS and also possibly just pick up a basic PT cert like the ACE.

What have you been doing to apply for jobs? If you are sending online applications or simply posted up on a job board you likely will not have great results. It could be beneficial to look at your personal network (Facebook, etc.) to try to find someone who can help you, get a good resume put together, and reach out to some staffing companies to see if maybe you can land a temporary position to gain some experience. It is typically a lot easier to find a job when you are already employed and have some sort of specific skill set, or at least some competitive knowledge that might make you valuable to another company.

I have worked in staffing for 8 years and would be happy to help with your resume (for free) if you would like. Just send me a PM on here.
    Yeah, I already SHOULD have my Associate's, but some dumbass at my University decided to break the credits up. Half towards my Associate's, half towards my Bachelor's, and they won't fix it. And yes, I have been thinking that I should stay in college. While I feel it is a waste of time based on what I actually learn, I want to be CSCS certified, and obviously I need my Bachelor's for that. As for applying, yes, I've just been applying online honestly. I would be interested in a resume, but honestly, I don't really have anything that is resume-worthy. It would probably be a waste of time, especially since I'm applying for minimum wage jobs that don't even require a HS diploma.

I wish it was easy and I could just find a job at like GNC or something :/

Banned
    I have a degree in History and Pshycology, so it doesn't matter all that much. What helped me is my experience as a collegiate and professional athlete, coupled with my lifting career.

I will say this, a degree in Exercise Science, Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology etc... is much better than what I have. Again, my experience as an athlete and coach helps me out a ton.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but here's reality. In my office there are 5 strength coaches. We're 38, 37, 31, 27 and 23 (GA) years old. This is what it's like all across the country. there aren't many people retiring in the next few years, so jobs are a bitch to come by.

The other thing that helps me a ton is my stature. It looks like I lift weights. I'm big and I'm stronger than every one of the athletes here. You don't have to be the strongest at all, but it certainly helps to be big and in shape. You'd be amazed at how many 150lbs kids come through here thinking they want to be strength coaches who have never played sports before, or at the very least, it was high school sports. They don't "really" lift. Just because you train and have read books doesn't mean you know your stuff. There's a whole aspect of commanding a room and understanding how to program for real life, not what the book says. For the record, "The Book" doesn't know shit. So, a lot of real world common sense is necessary. On top of that, understanding how to deal with different athletes, teams, coaches, etc... Programming and training is probably about 20% of what you actually do as a strength coach.

Sorry about the rant. but, that's the truth behind it. It's a very tough field to get into. Jobs that open up are almost always filled before they've even been posted. Conor had his job "open up" and actually had to interview people for his job that he had already gotten 6 months earlier. Basically, there was an interview process for absolutely no reason. but, that's how it works.

Very tough field to get into. It's all about who you know in the field. Knowing college football coaches helps, too. Good luck and stay after it if it's really something you want to do.

Why don't you contact some collegiate and pro teams and ask what they look for when considering someone for the position?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Being a certified dietician is another route into the collegiate scene. NCAA regs have limited how many people can be on an S&C staff, I believe it is for football only. They can work around it by hiring dieticians and have them doing the S&C job. Get a dietetics degree and whatever certification/licensing that goes with it, CSCS cert and ideally experiance as a S&C coach and you have an advantage over a lot of others.

^I don't really have a great choice for degrees. I can't get a degree in that or exercise science.

Falcon can't do anything. He only comes here to vent and all your attempts at advice will be rebutted. You can try, but the guy has an answer for anything. One of those people you don't ever let in your life because they are a complete downer every time you talk to them.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw