The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Bench shirt advice?

Hello all. First time post here at the advice of Chris. I was looking for some advice on getting into a bench shirt. I was thinking about getting one mainly for training and support to take some stress off the shoulders. I was hoping to find something that was relatively easy to get into and easy to learn. I'm not looking for a ton of carryover. What I found on my own was the Inzer blast shirt, but I've heard good and bad things about it so I dunno... I've also been trying to do a little of my own research and it sounds like ANY shirt is going to need 3 spotters to use safely, which I won't usually have access to. Are there any shirts that won't really change your technique and just provide some compression to the shoulders or should I maybe just look into something like a slingshot?

I don't know if it's relevant here, but it seems on other boards someone inevitably asks so here are a few stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 180
    Bench: 300 last time I tried a max, but I've lost about 15 pounds since then so probably closer to 285-290.

Thank you very much for any input.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Any larger size shirt should help with that issue. The type of shirt really depends on your style. You can train alone in a shirt, you just have to do it in a power rack.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I would suggest if you have no real reason for a shirt to save the money and just invest in a Bench Ram or Sling shot. Very easy to take on and off cheap and you can train with it by yourself. However, I would still use a power rack for safety but it is less likely you will dump weight. Just my thought buddy.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah the more I read the more it seems like that might be the way to go. Are there any major differences between how the Ram and Slingshot are designed? The description for the Slingshot says it will not change your bench form and while the Ram does not specifically say that it will either it does say that it is designed to "exactly mimic our revolutionary 90 degree sleeve angle bench shirt design." Better off with the Slingshot maybe?

Thank you for the replies so far.

I think the SlingShot is the way to go here. Ive used both peices and prefer the slingshot as it feels better on the shoulders.
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Randal View Post
    I think the SlingShot is the way to go here. Ive used both peices and prefer the slingshot as it feels better on the shoulders.
    How did it feel on the peck? I recently had surgery to reattach my peck tendon, just courious how it could compare to the Ram.
    best single ply meet lifts 850-670-685 best total 2170
    Multiply meet lifts 1003-700-677-2380

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'd second the opinion of just getting a slingshot. If you aren't going to compete and don't have spotters or a team to help with form there's no reason for having a shirt.

I've tried several sizes of both ram, slingshot, and 2-ply slingshot and can say that for me, I like the feel of the slingshot 100x more than the ram.

Slingshots are easier to get on and support more throughout the lift without having to be worn as tight as the ram does. The ram had to be obscenely tight for me to get much out of it. On top of that, Mark Bell has done a lot for this sport and even if both products were equal I'd lean towards his just to support him.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

I can get my bench shirt on easier than my slingshot.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I can get my bench shirt on easier than my slingshot.
    That is either one tight slingshot, or a lose bench shirt! haha

You are better off with the Ram or Slingshot if your not going to compete in a shirt. I perfer the Ram, mainly because of how it lays on my chest. I think either way you will get what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
    That is either one tight slingshot, or a lose bench shirt! haha
    I guess my forearms are kind of big for the slingshot. I need another person to help me get it on. I literally cannot get it on myself. However, I really can get my bench shirt on myself. Guess I'm the exception not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I guess my forearms are kind of big for the slingshot. I need another person to help me get it on. I literally cannot get it on myself. However, I really can get my bench shirt on myself. Guess I'm the exception not the rule.
    I put my shirts on by myself as well, but mostly because im not strong enough for a super tight shirt.

Dr. Subtotal
    Besides a slingshot/RAM, program more variety into your routine. Board presses, floor presses, and neutral grip benching will help alleviate shoulder aggravation.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

If its just to take the ease off the shoulders have you done any reverse band work?
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member
    I have not tried that yet. I'll have to do some research on what tension of bands I would need. I work out at a YMCA so I always feel kind of bad taking up the one squat rack to do something other than squats. I guess I should get over though. Its not like anyone else actually uses it to squat....

The Inzer Blast is an antique piece of crap that should be discontinued. The neck opening is too small for even small heads! The most deficult and painful shirt of all I've tried to put on and with the worst carryover. I'd recomend either a Titan Fury or Inzer Rage (not Rage X) a couple of sizes too big for what you want. Both will work well for you. Titan has the best material warrantee of the two by far and they honor it very well but both shirts will perform similarly if you find a good deal on a used one where warrantee is not a concern.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)