The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    BodyCoder

Do I do Tri's with Chest or with Shoulders when I can use more weight

I just started working my tri's after chest and my work out didn't go that great. I guess after a chest workout my tri's are pretty dead and can't do what I'm used to doing.

I am trying to train smarter and was wondering what I should do here? Do I train my triceps with shoulders when they can handle more weigh and I have better work outs, or with chest as to not over train them?

I'd like to have this split
    1 - Chest & Bi's
    2 - Shoulders & Tri's
    3 - Rest
    4 - Back
    5 - Legs
    6 - Rest
    7 - Rest

but I'm not sure if hitting triceps either directly or indirectly on 1 and 2 is overtraining.

My gym days can only be Mon - Fri, I have no access on weekends

I started a Journal that shows what I've done this week in the Online Journals section if that helps?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    The order of the bodyparts in your split is poor. I would switch legs with either the chest workout or the shoulder workout. This would also give your tri's more time to rest, so doing them with shoulders shouldn't be overtraining.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    do chest&tri's together, since chest hits the tri's anyway

Your routine wouldn't be bad if you moved shoulders+tris to a different day.

1 - Chest & Bi's
    2 - Legs
    3 - Rest
    4 - Back
    5 - Shoulders & Tri's
    6 - Rest
    7 - Rest

I agree with Accipiter. Back/Bis/Shoulders, Chest/Tris/ Legs

I agree with Accipiter. Back/Bis/Shoulders, Legs alone, Chest/Tris/. Then start it over. Then again, I'm the one that everyone says does too much.

Oops...that first one was a mistake.

works both ways. try both the alternatives if you have stuck to one for a long time and your progress has stalled.
    WBB2 prescribes push/ pull on the same day and you follow a particular order of push/pull exercise. That being said you do shoulder (push), bi (pull), tri(push), on one single day and call this an "arms" day. Another day you hit your chest (push) and back (pull) and finally spare a day for legs.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Shamik
    I agree with Accipiter. Back/Bis/Shoulders, Legs alone, Chest/Tris/. Then start it over. Then again, I'm the one that everyone says does too much.
    This is exactly what I do!!
    Seems to be working, unless someone else can suggest another routine, but I would like to go to the gym only three times a week.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I think that you should work the muscle that compliments the bigger muscle group that you work. Back and Bi's Chest and Tri's or Shoulders and Tri's but really if you are making sufficent gains then keep doing what your doing.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

BodyCoder
    Well, thanks for the great feedback guys.

I donít think I could do a work out of Back, Biís, and Shoulders. It takes few a few angles and reps to squeeze growth out. But Iím not ready to rule anything out right now either; eventually everything must be changed and mixed up.

As for keeping the tri work out with the chest work out, I just donít think I can do it, unless maybe I remove the close grip benches and focus on the extensions and add some push downs. The 2 main reasons I wanted to avoid the chest/tri combo was the fear that it would interfere with my shoulder pressing (which it did today anyway) and that I knew I wouldnít be able to handle as much weight with my triceps, which I where I have grown.

Right now Iím thinking

Shoulders & Tri
    Back
    Rest
    Legs
    Chest & Biceps
    Rest
    Rest

Iíve got the whole long weekend to think about it. (Canada Day, eh!)

M.
    To you who have never died, may I say: Welcome to the world!

Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, advanced a stage or two upon that road which you must travel in the steps they trod.

Living is death; dying is life. We are not what we appear to be. On this side of the grave we are exiles, on that citizens; on this side orphans, on that children;

Wannabebig Member
    On a different note, just from my personal experience, do you find that working legs and chest back to back is very taxing? I always make sure I have a couple of days between my legs and chest workouts because I feel they are the hardest, and I'm so sore and achy after both of them. Just wondered if you had considered this. This week, I only had 1 day in between legs and chest and I nearly passed out in the gym.

-Justin

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Ouch! You already work shoulders on chest and back day. So that's two days. Then you give them a extra day. Even if you have great genetics hitting your shoulders three days a week, (even if two are indirectly) WILL ruin them sooner or later, (and likely sooner rather than later). Shoulder injuries are the #1 injury for bodybuilding and that's why. Do you know how many of the pros have had shoulder injuries? And these are unusually big strong men, on juice. If they experience injury, less genetically gifted people should expect it too. Shoulders don't need their own day or even workout. A couple or three of heavy shoulder presses should do the trick. Remember they've already been hit twice that week on back and chest day.

BodyCoder
    equinox10 (Justin)
    Personally I don't find it stressing at all.

ExtremeAnabolic
    Good point, but my shoulders didn't grow until I began training them as their own muscle group, but very intelligent food for thought.

Thanks.
    To you who have never died, may I say: Welcome to the world!

Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, advanced a stage or two upon that road which you must travel in the steps they trod.

Living is death; dying is life. We are not what we appear to be. On this side of the grave we are exiles, on that citizens; on this side orphans, on that children;