Thread: Which kind of routine is better...

Which kind of routine is better...

Hey guys, a few of us were having this discussion on another thread and I'd like to hear some more thoughts on the subject. Here's the deal, a guy had posted his routine, which consisted of a full body workout, 3 times a week. I said that I thought that after a while, the results a full body workout would more or less plateau, simply because your body basically won't give you enough energy for intense workouts if you're working your entire body, and you won't be able to train hard enough to break through plateaus. I just think it makes more sense to train a few body parts each day, so you can train them with more intesity. Some other guy said that was BS. What do you guys think? Full body work outs? Or Splits?

I'm thinking split is best for gains, but maybe full body would be better for maintaining strength while trying to cut?
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    Clearly, as I stated, BOTH have merit.

You simply stated that a full body routine would stop working, which is a total fallacy.

To say one is better than the other is a very bold statement, no matter who makes it. They both have qualities that make them worth while. Pick what's best for you. But don't go around misleading people with factless garbage.

Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to jump on someone's case and say that something that was said is stupid. If you're that convinced of the good qualities of a full body workout, then, by all means, go right ahead and do one. I told the guy that everything we say is our opinion. It is my opinion that a split will work better. And I may be wrong in saying that a full body workout will not work as well. And I understand that it will not just magically one day stop producing results. My point is that you can break through plateaus by concetrating on one or two muscle groups one day instead of doing them all.

I will be as quick as I want, since it is my opinion, correct?

Furthermore, you state a lot of things that are blatantly false, which is not just an opinion.
    go to a split like the rest of us
    Wrong.

But after the first couple of months, when you start getting into better shape, you're going to quickly plateau.
    Wrong.

The way to break through that plateau is by pushing your individual body parts, which you can affectively do if you're working your entire body on one day.
    Half-true. You can break through a plateau by changing your routine, true. However to say you can't effectively work individual body parts on a full body routine is false.

Remember to work cardio in after your lifting sessions
    Last edited by WannaBeStrong; 06-28-2002 at 12:45 PM.

Yep, exactly right. Your opinion. Every bit of it.

Fact: The rest of us are not all doing a split.
    Fact: There is a good chance he will not quickly plateau after a couple of months.
    Fact: You can work individual body parts effectively with a full body routine, if you know what the hell you are doing.
    Fact:
    Last edited by WannaBeStrong; 06-28-2002 at 12:51 PM.

And apparently you have the energy to, because you don't seem to ever stop.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Hi everybody. I just had to jump in in defense of full body workouts. I gained 16.5 pounds in 2.5 months training this way (HST). I use mainly compound movements, 16 sets per workout, 3 X week, 45m to one hour each workout. It's great. I recomend you try it, then make a judgement.

Hmm, ive read alot about "the old school" routine, never tried it myself. But apparently its a great 3 day split, where you work the major body parts, for great gains, strenghtwise and size wise.

Monday

Deadlifts 1 max set of 20.
    Overhead Press - 5 sets of 5
    Squats - 5 sets of 3

Wednesday

Barbell Rows - 5 sets of 5
    Bench Press - 5 sets of 5
    Deadlifts - 1 set of 20

Friday

Shrugs - 5 sets of 5
    Barbell Curls - 5 sets of 5
    Dips - 5 sets of 5
    Squats - 5 sets of 5 with weight from Monday

Change is the only constant in my training as I cycle through full body & split workouts.

To say that one is better, is like saying an apple is better than an orange.

IMO, there is no "secret" or "best" workout, just get in the gym and move the iron around in a variety of ways, and if something stops producing results for you, change it up.

MrMuscle,
    Here's one for ya: http://www.davedraper.com/draper-ful...-strength.html

Bear
    <><
    Last edited by Obadiah; 06-30-2002 at 07:24 AM.
    Bear <><

Wannabebig Member
    And I understand that it will not just one day stop producing results.

Hehehe, that's funny s-h-i-t.
    Last edited by geoknight2002; 06-30-2002 at 08:47 AM.

Wannabebig Member