The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bentover Rows... Under Or Overhand Grip?

I am only going to be doing 2 lat exercises and I want to use the best ones possible to build my lats.

The first that I am going to be doing is underhand chins. Because they put your biceps in their strongest position which will force your lats to fail first.

The second exercise that I am going to be doing is the bentover BB row. I am trying to decide though which grip should I go with to hit my lats the most - overhand or underhand and why?

MS

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i like underhanded - it allows me to pull more, and feels comfortable on my wrists. i guess it works best with my mechanics.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Yeah that is what I have been doing. I really enjoy doing underhand rows. I am wondering if the same philosophy applies to chins where putting the biceps in their strongest position works best?

MS

*looks at doc*

seems that way...i use an underhanded grip for that too, and it really works my bis and forearms, and again, i'mable to pull more that way.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Hey, maybe this is just me, but i do underhand rows and i feel them loads on my lats and less in my middle back muscles.

Using overhand i can instantly feel the difference - i can feel more trap involvement (especially more in the upper portions) and i can generally feel more middle back working.

Therefore, lately i've been using both. Starting with my underhand set and then moving onto an overhand set.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by Tryska
    *looks at doc*

seems that way...i use an underhanded grip for that too, and it really works my bis and forearms, and again, i'mable to pull more that way.
    I completely like an underhand grip as well I think that I can pull my elbows back further and really squeeze my lats hard I really like them personally. I have done overhand rows before and I do like them too I must admit.

MS

Banned
    Dorian Yates did underhand rows. What more needs to be said.

Originally posted by Vido
    And whats your point? Another half of the pros did overhand rows.. whats the big deal? Dorian loaded with 'roids and so did all of them. Who cares? Which do YOU prefer and why?

MS

BodyCoder
    Maybe that he tore his biceps doing them

Not saying anything bad about them though, I prefer overhand grip, I find that DB rows hit the lat more efficiently than doing the Bent Row with an underhand grip.
    To you who have never died, may I say: Welcome to the world!

Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, advanced a stage or two upon that road which you must travel in the steps they trod.

Living is death; dying is life. We are not what we appear to be. On this side of the grave we are exiles, on that citizens; on this side orphans, on that children;

Originally posted by MatrixG
    Maybe that he tore his biceps doing them

Not saying anything bad about them though, I prefer overhand grip, I find that DB rows hit the lat more efficiently than doing the Bent Row with an underhand grip.
    Really? You prefer overhand rows huh? Thats interesting I feel like its kind of going both ways now..

MS

BodyCoder
    Furthermore I find that when doing underhand BB rows my biceps get the focus when I'm not. Because they are in their strongest position they pull without me noticing, I finish a set and have an awesome pump in my arms but nothing in my back.

Are you not going to do deads anymore, you said you where only doing two exercises for back, what happens to your amazing deads?

Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before, advanced a stage or two upon that road which you must travel in the steps they trod.

Living is death; dying is life. We are not what we appear to be. On this side of the grave we are exiles, on that citizens; on this side orphans, on that children;

Furthermore I find that when doing underhand BB rows my biceps get the focus when I'm not. Because they are in their strongest position they pull without me noticing, I finish a set and have an awesome pump in my arms but nothing in my back.
    Really? Thats very interesting actually. I have never really thought about it that way. I am hoping that chris mason will reply. Hes the one that basically started the whole underhand grip for back movements to put your biceps in their strongest position.

Are you not going to do deads anymore, you said you where only doing two exercises for back, what happens to your amazing deads?
    I am not going to be doing my deadlifts anymore, no. But I am going to be doing barbell SLDLs where hopefully Ill be pulling a serious amount of weight. Not as much as deadlifts but I do hope to pull a LOT!

MS

BodyCoder
    I'm sure Chris will catch up with this thread eventually, I'm curious about his answer as well.

You could always try one for a few weeks, then the other and get a feel for how your body responds to them. Listen to your body, I've read through some of your journal and posts and I know that in the end you'll find the right answer.

I'm also curious to see how long you can go without deads, I think they'll haunt your dreams!

Good luck!

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    are the biceps the strongest arm flexor ?

I think the brachialis and brachioradialis are quite strong and with them out of the picture somewhat with the underhand your biceps will fail earlier because they are the only are flexor really able to work

I find myself overall stronger with the overhand

I get a better contraction with the underhand though no question

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

I'm sure Chris will catch up with this thread eventually, I'm curious about his answer as well.

You could always try one for a few weeks, then the other and get a feel for how your body responds to them. Listen to your body, I've read through some of your journal and posts and I know that in the end you'll find the right answer.
    Yeah I hope chris checks this thread out I always like to hear his opinion.

Yeah I have actually tried both and over time I cant decide which I truly prefer. I like underhand but then again overhand I enjoy too.

I'm also curious to see how long you can go without deads, I think they'll haunt your dreams!

Good luck!
    Yeah hopefully Ill be okay with SLDLs instead.

MS

Originally posted by Holto
    are the biceps the strongest arm flexor ?

I think the brachialis and brachioradialis are quite strong and with them out of the picture somewhat with the underhand your biceps will fail earlier because they are the only are flexor really able to work
    I personally am not sure if the biceps are the strongest arm flexor. The brachialis and the brachioradialis are both strong but think that they all work together when using an underhand grip. Thats just my opinion though.

I find myself overall stronger with the overhand

I get a better contraction with the underhand though no question
    Really? Thats interesting because I can pull a hell of a lot more weight with underhand grip. But thats just me personally.

MS

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Both.

You start waaaay too many threads about the same shiat. tuttut
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    Both.

You start waaaay too many threads about the same shiat. tuttut
    Haha my fault man.

Do you think that one hits your lats more than the other? I am trying to decide which is optimal for blowing up your lats.

MS

Monstar, you obsessive nut, you!

To answer your question, I like both grips. For me, bent over rows always hit my lower back too much, so I don't really care for them. As you know, I like t-bar for rows. I also like dumbbell rows. For t-bar rows with a chest support, I prefer an underhand grip. For t-bar rows without a support, I prefer a parallel grip first, and an overhand grip second. For bent over rows, I prefer an overhand grip. So, it really depends on the exercise for me.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Monstar, you obsessive nut, you!

To answer your question, I like both grips. For me, bent over rows always hit my lower back too much, so I don't really care for them. As you know, I like t-bar for rows. I also like dumbbell rows. For t-bar rows with a chest support, I prefer an underhand grip. For t-bar rows without a support, I prefer a parallel grip first, and an overhand grip second. For bent over rows, I prefer an overhand grip. So, it really depends on the exercise for me.
    Haha thats pretty much what I thought chris. I guess it really depends on the person then huh?

MS

Right, you have to go with what works best for you.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Right, you have to go with what works best for you.
    Okay I see what youre saying. Its kind of hard though because I like both I mean its hard for me to pick just one ya know? I do feel like I can pull a lot more with an underhand grip.

MS

bone crusher
    LMAO @ mason

as far as the BB rows go I dont do them very much but when i do i use an underhand grip- I feel this more in the lats and central back muscles. I agree with chris in that I dont usually perform bentover rows as my lower back gets enough work therefore I prefer this type of supported row
    I use a sort of supported T-bar row (the biangular back row we have seen many pictures of) with a parallel grip.

Originally posted by MonStar

Okay I see what youre saying. Its kind of hard though because I like both I mean its hard for me to pick just one ya know? I do feel like I can pull a lot more with an underhand grip.

MS
    Monstar, sometimes I just want to reach through cyberspace and smack you upside the head! If you can pull a lot more with an underhand grip, then it seems obvious to me that you would be best served using an underhand grip.

Okay I will be following HST and doing squats and SLDLs before my bentover rows - isnt this going to be a little excessive for my lower back?

I am thinking about doing a supported row instead like the one I attached here...

Maybe with a parallel or underhand grip. What do you guys think about that?

MS
    Attached Images Attached Images