Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MonStar's HST Journal

The only downside is that when you take it there is a little throat irritation just because its the powder not capsule / tablet.
    You still get good results? ALA degrades when exposed to air or UV light from what I hear..
    No Pain, No Gain!

"Love changes, and best friends become strangers" - NaS

Originally posted by MonStar

I dont feel like I do it the "wrong way" at all but we all have our own opinions right? My maxes last time around were fairly accurate as they are this time around. Except for SLDLs I feel much stronger than what my max is supposed to be. I am hoping to ramp up my metabolism big time following HST. Thats always a huge plus with this program. Always enjoy that part of it.
    Well, it's technically wrong, because your body isn't going to respond well to beginning with such light weights if you don't decondition first. It's kind of the whole point of the HST protocol.

Really? You dont think that I should bump up my strength for the 15s and the 10s? I mean what good is HST if I am keeping my strength the same that basically takes all of the fun out of it. Going to all out failure on the 6th workout is what makes HST so much fun. Well in my opinion at least. Well see. Why are you saying that? Just because its too taxing on my CNS or what?
    You're going to go to failure on the 6th workout? No need, and it's not recommended, AND, you're not taking 2 days off in between workouts, so that will hurt things. There is just no point. Save it for the end and watch your strength explode. Besides, going heavier than planned on the 15's screws up the start of the 10's and likewise for the 10's and the 5's - the starting weights of each mini-cycle becomes less effective.

My goals are to lose some fat first of all, while gaining some strength and develop a few weakpoints in my physique.
    Tough to do all those at once.
    Last edited by MarshallPenn; 06-29-2002 at 11:53 AM.

Originally posted by gregnb
    You still get good results? ALA degrades when exposed to air or UV light from what I hear..
    I have heard the same thing but I never experienced any kind of problem with it at all. So I dont know how true that statement is.

MS

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    Well, it's technically wrong, because your body isn't going to respond well to beginning with such light weights if you don't decondition first. It's kind of the whole point of the HST protocol.
    Yeah man I dont know though I never decondition much before I start my 15s and always seem to really reap the benefits of them. Kind of strange how that works out huh?

You're going to go to failure on the 6th workout? No need, and it's not recommended, AND, you're not taking 2 days off in between workouts, so that will hurt things. There is just no point. Save it for the end and watch your strength explode. Besides, going heavier than planned on the 15's screws up the start of the 10's and likewise for the 10's and the 5's - the starting weights of each mini-cycle becomes less effective.
    I never heard that it wasnt recommended. But since you seem to be Mr. HST Ill take your advice and just go up to what I am supposed to go up to and keep it at that then.

So then the last 2 weeks of each HST cycle Ill just pile on the weight I guess huh? I understand what youre saying Marshall about not taking 2 days off ever I have decided to go straight through every other day and see how it goes.

Tough to do all those at once.
    I know but as you know I am sure as hell gonna try!!

MS

Ok, just want to make sure though that you don't think I'm saying the every other day idea itself is bad. That's fine. That's what I'm doing now actually. M W F S T TH S etc....

When you get to the end of week 6, and you have your 5RM's going up like crazy in weeks 7 and 8 (my brother raised his 5RM DB Press 15lbs a side this cycle!), and you're doing some super heavy workouts, you might find you want to space your workouts by 2 days on occasion. You'll know if you need the extra rest. Otherwise, if you're staying clear of failure, every other day seems to work fine.

Oh, also, you still will reap the benefits of the 15's, but you'll be much less likely to GROW from them, maybe even the beginning of the 10's too.

If you get through this cycle, and you take the 9 days off (I know, the horrror) you will find that the 15's can be a real bitch!

Ok, just want to make sure though that you don't think I'm saying the every other day idea itself is bad. That's fine. That's what I'm doing now actually. M W F S T TH S etc....
    Yeah I know man I never got the impression that every other day was a bad thing. I think its a great idea to be honest Bryan Haycock suggests himself training every 48 hours. Seems like a good idea to me.

When you get to the end of week 6, and you have your 5RM's going up like crazy in weeks 7 and 8 (my brother raised his 5RM DB Press 15lbs a side this cycle!), and you're doing some super heavy workouts, you might find you want to space your workouts by 2 days on occasion. You'll know if you need the extra rest. Otherwise, if you're staying clear of failure, every other day seems to work fine.
    Wow thats an amazing gain. Does your brother post here at WBB or nah? Well I guess we will have to wait and see how those last 2 weeks effect my strength. I am really hoping that my strength will soar. Maybe get up to the 100s for DB flyes. That would be seriously truly amazing. Well see how things go. Really looking forward to the gains I am going to get on HST.

MS

Oh, also, you still will reap the benefits of the 15's, but you'll be much less likely to GROW from them, maybe even the beginning of the 10's too.
    Yeah I figured that this would be the case. I dont know Ill be posting my results and everything like that on a day to day basis throughout my FULL HST cycle this time around. I am not going to quit after the 10s or anything like that. The only way Ill know if HST works is if I stick it out.

If you get through this cycle, and you take the 9 days off (I know, the horrror) you will find that the 15's can be a real bitch!
    I am probably only going to take ~7 days off which everyone over in the HST forum said is fine. They said ~9-12 days might be better but 7 would suffice.

MS

Another no post :-(

Another no post :-(
    I lost you man. Another no post? I didnt delete my post and post it again or anything like that so I really dont know what youre talking about.

MS

Ok, my turn.

I was thinking it was about time that you changed your journal and a new routine. Good luck on the HST routine again. I'm going try it some day, I just procastinate more. Too bad you didn't keep the old one around, it could have been one of the highest viewed threads here - almost made it to 10,000.

p.s. You made a brief mention about staying up late, earlier due to women troubles. If you'd rather not say here than thats ok as well just tell me to sfu, but are things ok with you and Brittany?

PowermanDL-
    Star Wars, f*ck, I guess I better see the lastest film.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Somehow I think your journal made it to the top again, but no new entry, maybe it was my mistake. Oops.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Ok, my turn.

I was thinking it was about time that you changed your journal and a new routine. Good luck on the HST routine again. I'm going try it some day, I just procastinate more. Too bad you didn't keep the old one around, it could have been one of the highest viewed threads here - almost made it to 10,000.
    Haha I guess you figured out about how long it takes me to start another online journal huh rookiebldr?

Thanks man for the support really appreciate it. Yeah man I definitely suggest you giving HST a shot no questions asked. I think that everyone seems to get different results on HST you really gotta give it a shot for yourself.

Haha yeah the other journal really was packing in some seious views man haha I dont know what the hell was up with that! Oh well not much I can do, started a new journal now - just have to hope for the same kind of support. Belial's journal has like 34,000 views!!

p.s. You made a brief mention about staying up late, earlier due to women troubles. If you'd rather not say here than thats ok as well just tell me to sfu, but are things ok with you and Brittany?

PowermanDL-
    Star Wars, f*ck, I guess I better see the lastest film.
    Yeah now things with me and Brittany are okay. They werent for a while. I just need to stop being so f*cking immature and start acting like a mature adult. Need to get my insecurities off my mind and really focus on how great Brittany really is. Cherish her more and all that. Shes my baby.

MS

Somehow I think your journal made it to the top again, but no new entry, maybe it was my mistake. Oops.
    Haha nah it didnt but its not too big of deal. Wouldnt be much of a surprise if it did happen. Hehe. Anyway my HST workout went well today man really like it. Like the exercises that I am currently doing a lot.

MS

Good luck.

Hope you stick it out to the end this time.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    Good luck.

Hope you stick it out to the end this time.
    Hey thanks a lot B&I.

Really really appreciate the support, seriously man. Good luck with your version of HST / Arnold's routine. How is that holding up for you? Getting good results? Have your arms blown up yet?

Decided to track my calories in my refeed and I think I like that much more. I dont pig out as much.

MS

Good luck with your version of HST / Arnold's routine. How is that holding up for you? Getting good results? Have your arms blown up yet?
    Well, I haven't measured them in the last week or two, but as you know they did go from 16.25'' to 17'' or so(really 16.5'') I'll check 'em in again in another day or two. Probably have my bodyfat tested again tomorrow.

Love the routine, though. Probably the funnest routine I've ever done--which was half the point.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Well, I haven't measured them in the last week or two, but as you know they did go from 16.25'' to 17'' or so(really 16.5'') I'll check 'em in again in another day or two. Probably have my bodyfat tested again tomorrow.

Love the routine, though. Probably the funnest routine I've ever done--which was half the point.
    Thats cool man let us all know what your arms measure out to be. But anyway thats great that its the funnest routine that you have ever done thats really really important if you ask me. If youre not having fun then youre really not going to stick with it.

MS

If youre not having fun then youre really not going to stick with it.

MS
    Dunno about that. For the first two or three years I worked out I, in some very fundamental ways, HATED my workouts. Usually they ended with me hunched over a toilet for a good 30 or 45 minutes fully expecting to puke(I still enjoyed them in some ways.) At that point I thought intensity was the key and fun was irrelevant. I still kinda think fun is irrelevant, but I prefer that my workouts be enjoyable. Still, if I thought repeatedly smashing a sledgehammer into my biceps would make them grow, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 06-30-2002 at 12:46 AM.

Dunno about that. For the first two or three years I worked out I, in some very fundamental ways, HATED my workouts. Usually they ended with me hunched over a toilet for a good 30 or 45 minutes fully expecting to puke(I still enjoyed them in some ways.) At that point I thought intensity was the key and fun was irrelevant. I still kinda think fun is irrelevant, but I prefer that my workouts be enjoyable. Still, if I thought repeatedly smashing a sledgehammer into my biceps would make them grow, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Really? Wow thats interesting B&I never heard anything quite like that. Surprised that you stuck with working out if you really hated your workouts. I have always loved my workouts. I mean really really enjoyed my workouts like big time.

I know that at one point I was the same way where I would do whatever it took to grow. I mean I did feel at some points in my bodybuilding career I was just was so fed up with the same old strength that I was just about to go nuts ya know? I dont know now I am growing at a great rate so everything is going well.

MS

Dunno about that. For the first two or three years I worked out I, in some very fundamental ways, HATED my workouts. Usually they ended with me hunched over a toilet for a good 30 or 45 minutes fully expecting to puke(I still enjoyed them in some ways.) At that point I thought intensity was the key and fun was irrelevant. I still kinda think fun is irrelevant, but I prefer that my workouts be enjoyable.
    This likely gave you a great base to build on. I've read / heard this before from others who work so hard they puke, I just figured that I haven't figured out how to apply this level of intensity to the equation.

... Still, if I thought repeatedly smashing a sledgehammer into my biceps would make them grow, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Interesting, now that I'm working out this is exactly how I feel for maybe different reasons. I've wasted so much of my life not working out (*is procastination a virtue*) and now I keep looking for the miracle combination to grow.

Haha I guess you figured out about how long it takes me to start another online journal huh rookiebldr?
    Yep I think so. We all have our traits that make us unique and interesting in some ways. BTW, your previous journal made it over 14,000 views.

Yeah now things with me and Brittany are okay. They werent for a while. I just need to stop being so f*cking immature and start acting like a mature adult. Need to get my insecurities off my mind and really focus on how great Brittany really is. Cherish her more and all that. Shes my baby.
    Good to hear this. When are you off to va beach? Is that when you planning your 7 day break from lifting?

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

This likely gave you a great base to build on. I've read / heard this before from others who work so hard they puke, I just figured that I haven't figured out how to apply this level of intensity to the equation.
    Yeah this is what I was kind of thinking rookiebldr. Because when I started working out I didnt do too many compound movements. For some reason stuck to a lot of heavy isolative work. I remember doing lots of skulls and EZ-curl bar curls and concentration curls. Not too many squats and all that though.

I know for sure that for some reason I worked all of my musclegroups except my traps. I didnt start training them until maybe 4 years into my bodybuilding career.

Interesting, now that I'm working out this is exactly how I feel for maybe different reasons. I've wasted so much of my life not working out (*is procastination a virtue*) and now I keep looking for the miracle combination to grow.
    Thats is interesting that all of 3 of us kind of feel that way. I feel like I have made good progress but obviously I still want to be bigger, and I still want to be leaner, etc. I think that's just true with everyone though I guess. I mean overall I am happy with my physique I think.

Yep I think so. We all have our traits that make us unique and interesting in some ways. BTW, your previous journal made it over 14,000 views.
    Haha thats some crazy a*s sh!t. Guys were like trying to say that I was sitting around at my house all day long pressing the refresh button and sh!t on my computer.

Good to hear this. When are you off to va beach? Is that when you planning your 7 day break from lifting?
    I didnt end up going to VA Beach. I was supposed to go with my girlfriend Brittany but I had to act all immature and stupid so we didnt end up going. Nah my 7 days off is in like a month and a half after all 4 of these microcycles.

MS

(view a description of my diet by clicking here, view a description of my training by clicking here, view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here)

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 2
    June 30, 2002

Cardio.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      (AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Comments.
      Feel pretty good today for the most part I think. Really enjoying HST so far haha I know its only been one workout but I kind of like hitting all of my musclegroups in one workout. I feel like my whole body gets a little pumped up or whatever. I dont know well see.

I was thinking about it today and I am REALLY enjoying myself with this diet / training program. I am going to stick to it I guarantee it simply because I am refeeding every other damn day! And I am also training every other day. I am looking forward to my workout tomorrow like crazy, and my refeed!

Diet. Isocaloric Day.
      Meal 1: Myoplex Low-carb MRP + 1 cup 2% milk
      (410 calories, 58g protein, 21g carbs, 11g fat)

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 2 cups skim milk
      (390 calories, 27g protein, 40g carbs, 17g fat)

Meal 3: 3 servings protein + 1 cup 2% milk
      (440 calories, 62g protein, 27g carbs, 10g fat)

Meal 4: Protein Plus Powerbar
      (180 calories, 16g protein, 20g carbs, 4g fat)

Meal 5: 1/2 cup cashews
      (380 calories, 10g protein, 16g carbs, 34g fat)

Meal 6: 1 & 1/2 cups skim milk + 1 tbsp. peanut butter
      (210 calories, 16g protein, 22g carbs, 9g fat)

Total Calories: 2010
      Total (g) Protein: 189g - 36%
      Total (g) Carbs: 146g - 28%
      Total (g) Fat: 85g - 36%

My calories were right on track today, carbs low and fat a little higher. I dont think that this is a problem at all to be honest though because I didnt workout today, so extra carbs really were not necessary at all. Might have lost a little muscle glycogen with the lower carbs but Ill refill it tomorrow during my refeed.

Pain/Soreness.
      Pretty sore today actually. My hamstrings are aching!! Some serious DOMS in my hamstrings. Back is pretty sore too and my delts are a little sore. Nothing is extreme I dont think though.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. Good amount of sleep completely uninterrupted. Thats the way that I like it.

Supplements.
    • 5g glutamine (+ 1 Lipodryl & 250 mg. usnic acid) precardio
    • multi-vitamin/mineral 2x today
    • 1g vitamin C 3x today
    • 400 IU vitamin E 3x today
    • 1 Calcium Complete 3x today
    • 1 Lipodryl 2x today
    • 250 mg. usnic acid 2x today
    • 6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine before bed

Training.
      Rest.

Training Length.
      N/A.

Water.
      Not enough today at all!! tuttuttuttut I dont know what the hell was wrong with me I sweated a lot today and didnt replenish at all. Stupid move.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 202.5 lbs. Nice weight today actually really made me feel good. I took in around 3,500 calories yesterday during my refeed which is really a lot and I still managed to drop 3.5 lbs. since yesterday.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-01-2002 at 12:18 AM.

I didnt end up going to VA Beach. I was supposed to go with my girlfriend Brittany but I had to act all immature and stupid so we didnt end up going.
    MS
    Sorry to here that you missed it. Maybe later in the month, besides aren't there good beaches in Del. Seems to me that Dover had beaches.

Sorry to here that you missed it. Maybe later in the month, besides aren't there good beaches in Del. Seems to me that Dover had beaches.
    Yeah hope so well see how things go.

College is starting like September 3rd I believe which is really going to suck. I dont feel like starting school at all. Need to focus on getting a job and all that right now. Want to work at a gym..

MS