The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by MonStar

Yeah hope so well see how things go.

College is starting like September 3rd I believe which is really going to suck. I dont feel like starting school at all. Need to focus on getting a job and all that right now. Want to work at a gym..

MS
    You shouldn't have a problem getting into a gym. With your knowledge on supp. you should try a vitamin shoppe or GNC. Some of the ones that I talk to in there seem to know sh*t. Others on the other hand are great.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    You shouldn't have a problem getting into a gym. With your knowledge on supp. you should try a vitamin shoppe or GNC. Some of the ones that I talk to in there seem to know sh*t. Others on the other hand are great.
    Yeah exactly man. All of the local supplement stores around here seem to have old women working at them. Dont ask me why it gets really really annoying though.

I ask if theyre hiring and the old sl*t is like "nope!" Its just such a bunch of bullsh!t.

MS

I always get that too, but the more I think on it, the more its probably better if I don't work at a supp shop; I mean, I'd be talking people out of buying stuff.

As far as working at a gym, hey, just wear a tight shirt for the interview and its usually good. I think I've got one gig working evernings, and I've got another interview tomorrow where I can hopefully pick up the day shifts at another place.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    I always get that too, but the more I think on it, the more its probably better if I don't work at a supp shop; I mean, I'd be talking people out of buying stuff.
    I tended to do that myself when I worked at GNC. I was a terrible salesman.

As far as working at a gym, hey, just wear a tight shirt for the interview and its usually good.
    Man, that's pretty gay.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 06-30-2002 at 08:07 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Yah, but if it impresses the old lady doing the hiring, then what the hell?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Haha thats exactly what I was thinking man! I would be telling people to get the hell outta GNC because theyre overpriced etc. That would drop business and I would end up getting fired.

As far as working at a gym, hey, just wear a tight shirt for the interview and its usually good. I think I've got one gig working evernings, and I've got another interview tomorrow where I can hopefully pick up the day shifts at another place.
    I dont know man it seems like all of the gyms I have applied to have skinny or fat guys working there. Guys who have never touched a weight a day in their lives. Pretty stupid if you ask me it really doesnt make sense to me at all. Where do you work at? I was thinking about getting a job working front desk at a hotel. That would be easy I think.

MS

Originally posted by Blood&Iron
    I tended to do that myself when I worked at GNC. I was a terrible salesman.
    Haha youre pretty much a supplement guru too I can totally imagine you talking people out of buying what they came to buy if you think its ineffective etc.

MS

Get a job as a stock boy at some local store Free workouts! Although, It sucked when a f*cking 50lb thing of paper fell 20 ft from the air onto my damn knee!
    No Pain, No Gain!

"Love changes, and best friends become strangers" - NaS

Originally posted by gregnb
    Get a job as a stock boy at some local store Free workouts! Although, It sucked when a f*cking 50lb thing of paper fell 20 ft from the air onto my damn knee!
    Haha thats okay man I cant be doing that sh!t. I did that back when I was 15-16 years old and hated it. Cant stand doing manual labor I feel like I am not getting paid enough. I either want a gym, supplement store, or maybe a hotel.

MS

(view a description of my diet by clicking here, view a description of my training by clicking here, view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here)

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 3
    July 1, 2002

Cardio.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      (postworkout) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Comments.
      Feel okay today I guess. Really looking forward to my workout and refeed today actually. Big time looking forward to both. HST workouts are a lot more enjoyable than I remember! Really like them a lot, and the refeeds I think aid in recuperation.

Tonight before bed I felt EXTREMELY fat. This was an extremely bad thing. Usually I feel fat after a binge or something like that not during a refeed. Well see what weight tomorrow is like. Hopefully I didnt gain any fat from today. Calories were right at 4200 which is a little high.

Jesus about to go to sleep and I feel extremely soft and flabby. Definitely believe that I went overboard tonight on my refeed. Very stupid stupid move. Cant get over how stupid I was for doing that to be honest. Should have done somthing like ~3500-3750 calories.

Diet. Refeed Day.
      Meal 1: Myoplex MRP + 1 cup skim milk
      (360 calories, 50g protein, 34g carbs, 2g fat)

Meal 2: 2 cups skim milk + Chewy granola bar
      (270 calories, 18g protein, 42g carbs, 5g fat)

Postworkout: 2 servings whey protein + 1/2 serving Cell-Tech
      (420 calories, 44g protein, 55g carbs, 3g fat)

-------------------------Started Refeed------------------------

Meal 4: 6 Snackwell's cookies + 2 cups skim milk
      (490 calories, 19g protein, 84g carbs, 10g fat)

Meal 5: Smart Ones pizza + 1 cup skim milk
      (480 calories, 28g protein, 77g carbs, 7g fat)

Meal 6: 2 cups Ben & Jerry's low-fat ice-cream + Vanilla Coke
      (930 calories, 16g protein, 198g carbs, 12g fat)

Meal 7: 1 bag Rold Gold pretzels + 2 cups skim milk
      (1260 calories, 46g protein, 244g carbs, 11g fat)

------------------------Finished Refeed------------------------

Total Calories: 4210
      Total (g) Protein: 221g - 21%
      Total (g) Carbs: 734g - 69%
      Total (g) Fat: 50g - 10%

Calories during my refeed today were a little high actually. Went around 3.5 hours after my workout. Which really wasnt much of a big deal at all. But my I really would like to keep my calories maybe under around ~4000. I am thinking about ranging them from ~3500-4000 calories each day.

If my weight goes up more than maybe ~1-2 lbs. the following morning Ill know that they were a tad too high and lower them a little bit. Well see how things go because refeeding will obviously make my gain a little bit of water weight even though it isnt long in duration at all. I think so at least.

Pain/Soreness.
      Hamstrings are still really hurting me badly. Delts are a little sore and my lats are also sore. Not feeling too good. But this is always how it is when I start HST.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. Finally again I got a good amount of sleep. Slept well, but I woke up with my body pouring sweat out. Just a nice little side effect of usnic acid.

Supplements.
    • multi-vitamin/mineral 2x today
    • 1g vitamin C 3x today
    • 400 IU vitamin E 3x today
    • 1 Calcium Complete 3x today
    • 1 Lipodryl 1x today
    • 250 mg. usnic acid 2x today
    • 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx preworkout
    • 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides + 3g l-arginine + 1g ginger + 500 mg. ALA + 250 mg. Aminogen postworkout
    • 500 mg. ALA halfway through refeed
    • 6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine before bed

Training.
      Squats:

260 x 15

Good set of squats today man damn!! Really hit my lower body hard. Totaly breath taking set really took my energy out right away. Wasnt really near failure, however, it was extremely exausting. Kept repping out more and more and more. Felt like 15 reps was so far away haha. Probaby a good 3-4 minute set of squats.

Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlifts:

105 x 15

Nice set of SLDLs today! Hit my hamstring very very hard. Stretched out my hams big time at the bottom of every single rep. Really contracted them hard at the top also which was a really good thing. Did again a double overhand grip - I am thinking about moving to a mixed grip. Just because I feel like my grip was getting pretty tired with just 105 lbs.

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises:

220 x 15

Nice set of calf raises today. Really hit my calves hard. Nice slow slow reps really feeling out every single repetition. Hammered my lower legs hard. Good stretch and contraction with every single rep. Good overall set.

Flat Barbell Presses:

155 x 15

Nice set of flat BB presses today. Hit my pecs very hard. Actually some quick reps to be honest. Slowed it down as I finished the set to really feel out the movement. But honestly I am moving such a light amount of weight I feel like I am just going through the motions. Which isnt a good thing at all I have to get of this habit right away.

Wide-grip Underhand Chins:

-80 x 15

Some awesome back contractions today! Really hit my lats very very hard really contraction my lats 100%. Totally flexed my lats throughout every single rep. Good overall set. Nice tension in my lats throughout the entire set. Good overall set without a doubt.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

20 x 15

Good set of flyes today! Hammered the hell out of my pecs. Good slow set really feeling the exercise 100%. Squeezed my pecs extremely hard with every single rep. Like the lower weights a lot more for flat DB flyes I think. I can really feel the movement a lot more. Thats what I think at least.

Underhand Supported Lever Rows:

130 x 15

Awesome set of supported rows today holy sh!t. Havnt contracted my lats this hard in a long, long time. Really squeezed my lats 100% with every single rep. These kind of contractions tend to exaust my lats extremely fast. Really hammering my lats and midback and exausting my back completely.

High Pulls:

80 x 15

Really good set of high pulls today. Used a little bit wider than a shoulder-width grip. Hit my traps and my side delts extremely, extremely, hard. Hammered both completely and efficiently. Great overall set. Love this exercise.

Standing Barbell Curls:

65 x 15

Nice set of standing BB curls today! Lactic acid buildup was unreal to be honest. Not nearing failure but still a tough set for only being my second workout in this microcycle. Oh well, again nice pump and good burn in my biceps.

Lying Cambered-bar Extensions:

90 x 15

Good set of skulls today, really fried my triceps 100%. A pretty easy set to be honest. Not even close to difficult. Feeling very strong on skulls lately. During my 4th microcycle I am hoping to get up to around 150-160 lbs. skulls. Haha that sounds unreal when I think about it but anything is possible right?

Standing Barbell Reverse Curls:

50 x 15

Nice set of reverse curls today! Hit my brachialis and brachioradialis very hard. Nice vascularity in my forearms thats really impressive to me. Hopefully HST will help me lean out a lot. Thats what I am hoping for at least. Well see how things go. Good set.

Machine Crunches:

115 x 15

Nice way to finish off my workout today. Good burn, nice hard contractions in my abdominals. Midsection was pretty exausted after just this one single set. That was a good thing in my eyes. Nice overall set. Hit abs hard.

Training Length.
      Lasted 40 minutes today. Good length, nice and brief with short rest periods.

Water.
      Good intake of water today actually. More than usual which was a really really good thing in my eyes.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 200 lbs. Not a bad weight at all I dont think. I am down 2.5 lbs. from yesterday which is a really good thing I think.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-02-2002 at 11:42 AM.

Member of the 1200 Club Johnny Vegas's Avatar
    What is a "High Pull"? I've seen a few members refer to it, and eiter I've never heard of it, or I call it something else. I'd be interested in possily throwing them into my new routine.

Originally posted by Johnny Vegas
    What is a "High Pull"? I've seen a few members refer to it, and eiter I've never heard of it, or I call it something else. I'd be interested in possily throwing them into my new routine.
    A high pull is a very simple, yet effective exercise for hitting your delts and traps. Basically all it really is a powerful version of the upright row. You take a double overhand grip, around shoulder-width or a little wider.

You start the movement by powerfully pulling the bar to right around nipple level. Be sure to flare your elbows out to the sides. This movement will really fry your side delts and your traps. Yeah I would recommend them 100%. If your wrists start to bother you you could try a cambered-bar.

MS

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    What happened to the other journal?? Why are you writing in this one?? What is going on??
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

So how is a high pull different than an upright row?

Originally posted by AFreakyMutation
    What happened to the other journal?? Why are you writing in this one?? What is going on??
    I dropped my other journal a few days ago actually. Only because I decided to switch up my program real quick. Doing some HST right now. And if I like it, I will definitely go through a few HST cycles until I stop getting results with it. Both other times I tried HST I got good results.

Well see how things go.

MS

Originally posted by MarshallPenn
    So how is a high pull different than an upright row?
    A high pull is a more explosive powerful exercise. Most upright rows are also done with a closer grip, generally speaking. High pulls are a pretty quick movement that are done hitting my side delts and traps extremely hard. Using a shoulder-width grip or a little bit wider.

The only real difference is that a high pull is more explosive, etc.

MS

Mike I went from 180 to 183 in 1 day when I had a lil carb-up...all I had was a coulple bowls of cereal, skim milk, and a bowl of frozen yogurt. Tomorrow I'll see how much I drop down to...prolly 181.
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by Marcel
    Mike I went from 180 to 183 in 1 day when I had a lil carb-up...all I had was a coulple bowls of cereal, skim milk, and a bowl of frozen yogurt. Tomorrow I'll see how much I drop down to...prolly 181.
    Really 3 lbs. huh Marcel? That sounds about right. I would say that anything over ~3-4 lbs. would probably end up being fat gain dont you think? I posted a thread in it in the diet board curious to see what everyone's responses are. Well see.

Took in 4200 calories last night which was definitely high. Only gained a lbs. though which is pretty surprising.

MS

(view a description of my diet by clicking here, view a description of my training by clicking here, view my current HST rep maxes by clicking here)

HST CYCLE 1 | MICROCYCLE 1 | DAY 4
    July 2, 2002

Cardio.
      (AM) 20 minutes stationery bike, level 6.

Comments.
      So far at this point in my HST cycle I am really really enjoying it. I am just hoping that with refeeding every other day I am not gaining fat etc. I hope not at least. Going to try and take in something like ~4000 calories on refeed days and ~2000 on isocaloric days. Honestly I think this huge cycling of calories should stimulate my metabolism.

I am just hoping that maybe I have stumbled upon the exact ratio that allows me to lose maybe ~1-2 lbs. of fat per week and gain some size and strength too. I think that it might do that to be honest. If I gain lets say one pound of water weight from refeeding, then lose 1.5 lbs on isocaloric days (1 lbs. water + 1/2 lbs. fat) then maybe Ill end up losing 1-2 lbs. per week. To be honest I would be happy with even a pound of fat per week.

Diet. Isocaloric Day.
      Meal 1: Myoplex Low-carb MRP + 1 cup skim milk
      (370 calories, 58g protein, 21g carbs, 6g fat)

Meal 2: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 2 cups skim milk
      (390 calories, 27g protein, 40g carbs, 17g fat)

CHEATED! Like some damn fool.

tuttuttuttut I dont know what the hell I was thinking. It is over now so I am not going to go on some dumba*s guilt trip. I dont have the time or patience of that bullsh!t. Stupid move, Ill learn. Not dropping the jounral though.

Ate pizza and Chinese food like some big fat slob. Binged on high-fat and high-carbs. Haha I am sure Ill weigh a good 205-208 lbs. tomorrow. Hopefully not for long though. I am basically wasting this usnic acid because I dont know how it works because all I am doing is cheating on my diet like some f*cking fat d!ck.

Total Calories: Too f*cking high!
      Total (g) Protein: Too f*cking high!
      Total (g) Carbs: Too f*cking high!
      Total (g) Fat: Too f*cking high!

Pain/Soreness.
      Not really that sore today I dont think. Hamstrings are still a little sore to be honest. Lats are a tad sore, and nothing else is really that bad I dont think.

Sleep.
      Last night I got 8 hours of sleep. Good amount, and really slept well too.

Supplements.
    • 5g glutamine (+ 1 Lipodryl & 250 mg. usnic acid) precardio
    • multi-vitamin/mineral 2x today
    • 1g vitamin C 3x today
    • 400 IU vitamin E 3x today
    • 1 Calcium Complete 3x today
    • 1 Lipodryl 2x today
    • 250 mg. usnic acid 2x today
    • 6 mg. melatonin + 5g glutamine before bed

Training.
      Rest.

Training Length.
      N/A.

Water.
      Good amount I think today.

Weight.
      First thing in the morning, without clothes, after using the restroom, I weighed 201 lbs. Good weight I think to be honest. Gained a lbs. from yesterday's refeed which was actually a lot less than I expected. Going to keep my calories for tomorrow's refeed right around maybe ~3500-4000. This way hopefully this wont hinder fat loss. Around 2000 calories, one day, then 4000, averaging about 3000 calories per day. I think that I can lose fat at that many calories, well see.
    Last edited by MonStar; 07-02-2002 at 11:32 PM.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    What happen to stickin' to the plan no matter what? What was all of that? Man, you aren't going to get consistent gains if you don't stick with a plan! I thought that you were going to stay with that plan for atleast 6 months to a year? If you didn't say that please correct me.
    Last edited by GeneticallyGifted; 07-02-2002 at 10:34 AM.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Originally posted by AFreakyMutation
    What happen to stickin' to the plan no matter what? What was all of that? Man, you aren't going to get consistent gains if you don't stick with a plan! I thought that you were going to stay with that plan for atleast 6 months to a year? If you didn't say that please correct me.
    Yeah I know it was a stupid move.

But I dont know though I mean I think HST is producing excellent results for me to be honest. I always feel like I am leaning out while following HST. Seems to really jumpstart my metabolism.

Yeah I know HST is what I am going to stick with. I am going to stick with it NO MATTER what. Thats the bottom line.

MS

It's better than going in and asking a clerks opinion on something and then they just shrug and say "I don't know". I experienced this recently at a vitamin shoppe. The guy behind the counter was huge but not very helpful. PowerMan, this is exactly the information I'm looking for from the people that work there. I can go into one of my local supp stores and ask them about stuff, they have usually read the ingredients, may even have tried most of the stuff they sell, know the different between the various powders and can usually steer me to something that is cheaper, maybe tastier and as effective. It does depend on the store and clerks. The local Musclemag store has some clerks who are only out to get the most money while the other clerks in the same store are great with the discounts (they are so overpriced without them).

I hope this worked out for you.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

MonStar-
    Well done on the refeed. Not too over-the-top this time.

It's better than going in and asking a clerks opinion on something and then they just shrug and say "I don't know". I experienced this recently at a vitamin shoppe. The guy behind the counter was huge but not very helpful. PowerMan, this is exactly the information I'm looking for from the people that work there. I can go into one of my local supp stores and ask them about stuff, they have usually read the ingredients, may even have tried most of the stuff they sell, know the different between the various powders and can usually steer me to something that is cheaper, maybe tastier and as effective. It does depend on the store and clerks. The local Musclemag store has some clerks who are only out to get the most money while the other clerks in the same store are great with the discounts (they are so overpriced without them).
    Gotta agree rookiebldr.

I can never ever ever rely on the person working at a supplement store to give me reliable, good advice. Thats actually a damn shame to be honest.

MS

MonStar-
    Well done on the refeed. Not too over-the-top this time.
    Thanks man. The only problem is that I feel so f*cking fat right now! Not really sure why or what the problem is. Probably psycological to be honest. I am just starting to thinking that I went a little overboard or maybe I am refeeding too often.

I dont know well see what happens. Going to give this way of eating maybe a good 2 weeks and see how its working then.

MS