Thread: Deadlifting and Squatting in the same day?

Hybrid View

I wannabebig!

Deadlifting and Squatting in the same day?

Anyone do both squats and deadlifts (not sldl) both on leg day and if so which one followed by which?

I do!

I perform deadlifts first, followed by squats. This is necessary as your deadlift would be too limited if you performed squats first. I find training in this fashion works very well for me.

I wannabebig!
    so you don't think that deadlifting before squats sorta tires you out before you squat? I was reading some old posts thru the search and read that you started in like March.. good results so far I suppose?

I prefer my squats before my deadlifts, seems to keep my motivation up when i get squats out of the way (not my favorite exercise) feels like my quads are going to explode.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Wannabebig Member
    Squats should be performed before deadlifts. Deadlifts take a lot out of your back which is needed to keep proper form on your squat. If you don't keep your form on your squats, it could be a career ender. Especially the spoting you get at your local gym. I train the squat and deadlift together once a week and squats by themselves one other day during the week.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I do both on the same day, but it is box squats, followed by speed deads.

When Beercan and I started traning together, we trained legs once per week. We started with heavy sumos and then went to heavy squats. We both progressed well. I had some of my best squat workouts after heavy sumos.

If yu are doing ne ower body session per week, I would say you could do either first or even switch it up every few weeks. I don't think it really maters, unless you are doing like 20 rep breathing squats or deads, in which case you probably couldn't move afterwards.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by pumpuup
    Squats should be performed before deadlifts. Deadlifts take a lot out of your back which is needed to keep proper form on your squat. If you don't keep your form on your squats, it could be a career ender. Especially the spoting you get at your local gym. I train the squat and deadlift together once a week and squats by themselves one other day during the week.

I must disagree. Have you ever done deadlifts first?

Here are my thoughts. First, if you squat first, your legs, and lower back to a lesser extent, will be shot by the time you deadlift. If your legs are shot, and you are performing traditional deads, the benefit you can derive for your upper body will be severly limited as you will obviously be forced to use much less weight. Conversely, if you deadlift first, your legs will be fatigued to a certain extent, as well as your lower back (to a greater extent). This is not a problem as you should not overly stress your lower back during squats. Squats are performed primarily to build the hips, glutes, and upper legs, not the lower back (although that is a side benefit). So, while your lower back may already be fatigued, this will only force you to further exhaust your thighs in an effort to lift the weight. As to injuring your back, not going to happen unless you are using ridiculously poor form, and I can speak from experience.

Just thinking of doing them both on one day makes me wanna hurl.

:withstupi

I do them on seperate days. For some reason I can do a one rep max on squat, bench, and deadlift on the same day, and none of my maxes really suffer, except by like maybe 5lbs. on deadlift. I do squats and leg work on mondays, and deadlifts and back work on Fridays. It works fine for me.

Wannabebig Member
    chris mason quote: "blah blah blah, blah blah blah."

If i was to do them on the same day i'd do deads first.

Deads are tiring sure, but even after 2 heavy hard working sets i could still pull out some good squat sets.

If i did squats first my legs would be far too tired to even comprehend conventional deadlifting.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]