The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Continuously Dangerously

will this get your undergarments in a knot?

some of my previous debate posts unfortunately made some people mess themselves so heres one thats a little lower key...

do you think radar detectors/jammers should be legal or illegal?

i say legal, if the cops can have their little devices why cant i?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Illegal, because cops usually only pull people over for going at extreme speeds, and these people are not only putting their own lives in danger, they're putting other people's lives in danger.

If you don't wanna drive the speed limit, don't drive.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

I think I obey the speed limit after I've been drinking, but that's about the only time.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

tuttut

Legal. As far as I know, they cause no harmful interference. There's no law against detecting the presence of certain wavelengths.

"Illegal, because cops usually only pull people over for going at extreme speeds, and these people are not only putting their own lives in danger, they're putting other people's lives in danger."

That's not true. A cop trying to make quota can nab you (and WILL nab you) for going five over the limit. And it's not speed that's dangerous. Not by far. It's reckless driving. Tailgating, weaving, drunk driving, etc. Being in a large pack of cars going 10 mph over the speed limit isn't intrinsically dangerous. The autobahns have fewer accidents per car on the road than the US does. Speed is not the killer!

"If you don't wanna drive the speed limit, don't drive"

Everybody I know on the road, including the cops, drive over the speed limit, even if only a few mph. Should everybody in the nation stay home? Including yourself, I'm sure?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Originally posted by Goin_Big
    Illegal, because cops usually only pull people over for going at extreme speeds, and these people are not only putting their own lives in danger, they're putting other people's lives in danger.

If you don't wanna drive the speed limit, don't drive.
    Thats 100% false...it totally depends on where you live. If you live in an area where the cops are readily available to enforce traffic laws then you'll get busted for anything and everything, if you live in a larger city with more crime and less police for the amount of people they arent going to spend as much time on traffic enforcement. Oh and i think that radar detectors should remain legal.

I do have to agree that reckless driving is what causes problems, but many times the same people that drive recklessly, also drive 90 miles per hour and have a radar detector.

Alright, so maybe we all speed now and then, but rarely do I got more than 10 miles faster, because I usually have no need to.

When I first go my license, yes, I drove quite fast, and it was stupid of me, but now I just feel no need to speed.

In my own experience, having a radar detector increases mph substantially.

Back in the day, I wouldn't think twice about going over 70-75 without one; but with one? I've done 137. Damn, was I f*cking crazy then. All the innocent people I put in danger. **Feelings of guilt set in**
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

its not the high speeds that are dangerous its the difference in speeds and all sorts of stupid driving.

US highways are ******* slow

All of my cars have radar detectors.

I won't leave home without one.

I haven't had a ticket in 5 years.

The only 2 accidents I've been in in the last 8 years were being rear ended in slow (<15mph) traffic jams. Prior to that, I hit a tree in the rain travelling at less than the posted speed limit, hit a deer, and pulled out in front of someone at an intersection. Speed was not a factor.

I drive at a speed safe for the conditions (road and weather) and well within the limits of my car (99 honda civic Si, 97 BMW 318i, 99 Mercedes Benz SLK 230). I don't need the government to determine what that safe speed is.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i say.. illegal
    because if you want one, that means you have a reason for wanting it.. meaning "oh yea i am gonna speed"
    you dont need one if you have no chance of breaking the law
    the cops have the devices to make sure people arent speeding
    why should you need it?? to see if the cops are making sure people arent speeding?
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Kimpy, are you going to allow the government to put a camera in your house to make sure you don't drink before you are 21?
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I haven't had a ticket in 3 years, since I got my license in other words, and I don't use no radar detector. I'll admit I speed at times, but not that often.

yay kimpy!

Alcohol is boring btw Paul
    Last edited by Goin_Big; 07-03-2002 at 09:20 AM.

nope but thats different since its not posted everywhere like speed limit signs are. and the people are breaking the law out in the public. if i want to drink in my own home, then they can come and knock on my door, then they can check but they wont
    the people that are speeding at out in the open. they know there are chances to get caught because there are cops out there. they shouldnt be speeding in the first place, so they shouldnt have devices to help them break the law
    and actually if they wanted to they can set up a camera. i am not gonna drink anymore until i am 21. so i dont care
    if i am not gonna break the law, they can do that
    the cops wouldnt need the radar in the first place if they trusted people.. since they dont trust us (i wonder why!!!) they need the radar
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

and plus, it wont hurt anyone if i do it in my own home
    the people speeding can cause accidents.. they arent just hurting themselves but they are hurting other people. that is why cops do ticket people
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Interesting.

So it isn't about making sure you obey the law, it is about not hurting people.

I suggest then that we make cars that exceed 20 mph illegal.

See how far we can take this?

Speed limits exist for ONE reason, and it has nothing to do with safety. They were implemented in order to force people to conserve fuel (at a time when there were studies showing that most cars were most fuel efficient around 50-55 mph). My car is most fuel efficient at about 80 mph.

As that is not an issue any longer, they continue to exist as a means of revenue collection... a tax, if you will, on people who drive fast.

There is no documentation anywhere that will show higher speed limits or no speed limits lead to higher incidence of injury, death, or accidents per mile driven.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg

Speed limits exist for ONE reason, and it has nothing to do with safety. They were implemented in order to force people to conserve fuel (at a time when there were studies showing that most cars were most fuel efficient around 50-55 mph). My car is most fuel efficient at about 80 mph.

As that is not an issue any longer, they continue to exist as a means of revenue collection... a tax, if you will, on people who drive fast.

There is no documentation anywhere that will show higher speed limits or no speed limits lead to higher incidence of injury, death, or accidents per mile driven.
    Exactly! Well said.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

but see they arent taking it to that
    and its not just so it wont hurt people
    they have residental areas at a lower speed so more people wont get hurt
    the chances of stopping for a little kid is a lot faster at 25 instead of at 80 mph
    if it just is a tax, you still dont have to pay it if you dont speed.
    if you want to drive 80, then do it but you are gonna pay for it
    the law is the law
    be a rebel if you want but the law is there.. if people break it, they need to have the punishment or they would break other laws too. if there was no law, people would try to get rid of other laws too.
    thats why there are tickets. if it is "ok" to speed, then there wouldnt be speed limits.
    maybe there isnt documentation.. so what? it doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
    haha i dont make any sense
    basically.. radar jammers are there so you can break the law.. and you shouldnt break the law no matter what it is
    so .. so..
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

and if it was just for fuel.. why dont they change it??
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Those devices are cool. I'll have one. If you have nothing to hide, you have no reason to be watched. That is invasion of privacy.

Originally posted by kimpy225
    if you want to drive 80, then do it but you are gonna pay for it
    the law is the law
    be a rebel if you want but the law is there.. if people break it, they need to have the punishment or they would break other laws too.
    That;s where the devices come in.

Originally posted by Cackerot69
    That;s where the devices come in.
    so they should be illegal since you are going against the law
    they arent really there just to watch you all of the time.. they are there just for the speed you are going at that moment.
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Originally posted by Belial
    Legal. As far as I know, they cause no harmful interference. There's no law against detecting the presence of certain wavelengths.

A cop trying to make quota can nab you (and WILL nab you) for going five over the limit. And it's not speed that's dangerous. Not by far. It's reckless driving. Tailgating, weaving, drunk driving, etc. Being in a large pack of cars going 10 mph over the speed limit isn't intrinsically dangerous. The autobahns have fewer accidents per car on the road than the US does. Speed is not the killer!

Everybody I know on the road, including the cops, drive over the speed limit, even if only a few mph. Should everybody in the nation stay home? Including yourself, I'm sure?
    :withstupi
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

I agree 100% With Paul.
    *grabs a drink*
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Most of the time when you'll get a speed ticket (at least where I live) is on the little street with 30-50 km/h limit, and since in these area they use the gun thingie your radar detector can't detect it, so I say it's pretty useless unless you want to do twice the speed limit on the highway. we can do a good 130km/h on 100 zone and won't get a ticket but maybe that's just because police don't care here...
    "Everyone around here has a 6-pack and I'm the only one with a keg" Homer Simpson